FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Australian enforced mandatory quarantine - QF 2 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/2014423-australian-enforced-mandatory-quarantine-qf-2-a.html)

TheRealBabushka Mar 27, 2020 3:00 am

Australian enforced mandatory quarantine - QF 2

With the news overnight of government enforced mandatory quarantine in hotels for 14 days for international passengers into the first port of call in Australia, do we know if this means quarantine in Darwin or Sydney for passengers on QF 2 tonight, 27 March (arriving in Sydney on 29 Mar 0700h)? The enforced mandatory quarantine kicks in on 1159h on Sat 28 March.

Is Darwin a technical stop for refueling only, or is it a proper stopover with passengers disembarking and clearing Australian customs and immigration?

DC9 Mar 27, 2020 3:21 am

Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka (Post 32237273)
With the news overnight of government enforced mandatory quarantine in hotels for 14 days for international passengers into the first port of call in Australia, do we know if this means quarantine in Darwin or Sydney for passengers on QF 2 tonight, 27 March (arriving in Sydney on 29 Mar 0700h). The enforced mandatory quarantine kicks in on 1159h on Sat 28 March.

Is Darwin a technical stop for refueling only, or is it a proper stopover with passengers disembarking and clearing Australian customs and immigration?

QF2 passengers to remain on board in DRW. This is a refuelling stop, only. Disembark in SYD: Immigration, Customs, etc, then taken to 14-day isolation in state-allocated accommodation (mostly hotels at this stage). No longer allowed to make their own way around the country in order to get home, etc.

Same arrangements for anyone entering Australia into any city, whether by air or sea. Taken to state-allocated accommodation, directly from the port, for 14 days

TheRealBabushka Mar 27, 2020 3:33 am

Originally Posted by DC9 (Post 32237320)
QF2 passengers to remain on board in DRW. This is a refuelling stop, only. Disembark in SYD: Immigration, Customs, etc, then taken to 14-day isolation in state-allocated accommodation (mostly hotels at this stage). No longer allowed to make their own way around the country in order to get home, etc.

Same arrangements for anyone entering Australia into any city, whether by air or sea. Taken to state-allocated accommodation, directly from the port, for 14 days

I hope it's the Shangri-la Sydney and not some hole in the western suburbs :p

How does the NSW government decide who gets to stay where? Or is it luck of the draw?

Mwenenzi Mar 27, 2020 3:43 am

Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka (Post 32237339)

How does the NSW government decide who gets to stay where? Or is it luck of the draw?

Been on TV that some (boat) people have been sent to https://www.swissotel.com/hotels/sydney/

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-...otels/12097312

DC9 Mar 27, 2020 3:48 am

Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka (Post 32237339)

State Governments are entering into arrangements with various hotels. State Governments are paying the bill. I would keep expectations low. Anything above that will be a bonus.

3544quebec Mar 27, 2020 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 32237360)
Been on TV that some (boat) people have been sent to https://www.swissotel.com/hotels/sydney/

We used to send boat people packing - now we put them up in The Swisshotel. 2 weeks enforced detention in the Ibis Budget or even the regular Ibis at Sydney Airport would probably warrant a UN Human Rights Commission investigation.

Mwenenzi Mar 27, 2020 3:58 am

off topic

Originally Posted by 3544quebec (Post 32237384)
We used to send boat people packing - now we put them up in The Swisshotel. 2 weeks enforced detention in the Ibis Budget or even the regular Ibis at Sydney Airport would probably warrant a UN Human Rights Commission investigation.

There is boat people and boat people ;) (tongue in cheek)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villaw...tention_Centre

3544quebec Mar 27, 2020 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 32237397)
off topic

There is boat people and boat people ;) (tongue in cheek)

I am surprised that you are so easily seduced by the fancy name of their ship - they are still boat people!

Back on topic though - into day 3 of my 14 day self-isolation in a 1 bedroom apartment on the 43rd floor of The Skytower in Brisbane, I am going so stir crazy panoramic view notwithstanding
I could not imagine 2 weeks in a standard hotel room whether it be in The Shangri-la or the Ibis (or The Swisshotel) as much as I agree with the action now being taken (somewhat belatedly).
I know that the army will be involved in the logistics of the quarantine - I wonder if each hotel will have personnel to ensure compliance.

og Mar 27, 2020 4:58 am

I feel for the poor sods put into confinement (oops, quarantine) at the LHR HI Ariel hotel. The lucky ones get a runway view, the others get a view of the car wash facility. An “ordinary” tired old hotel. One night is manageable but otherwise it’s 2 weeks of hell.

TheRealBabushka Mar 27, 2020 3:34 pm

So it seems tech crew from the QF 1/5(?) are flying on the QF 2 back to Sydney tonight as passengers, but they are wearing uniform.

Is this so that border force/the military at SYD can identify and round up only passengers into the quarantine buses to be deposited like refugees to their confinement? Expertflyer seat map for the first class cabin is under airport control and not accessible...

Mwenenzi Mar 27, 2020 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka (Post 32239403)
So it seems tech crew from the QF 1/5(?) are flying on the QF 2 back to Sydney tonight as passengers, but they are wearing uniform.

Is this so that border force/the military at SYD can identify and round up only passengers into the quarantine buses to be deposited like refugees to their confinement? Expertflyer seat map for the first class cabin is under airport control and not accessible...

As QF are soon to suspend international flights QF staff will be getting home and not working again for months
Staff uniforms help priority access through security & immigration.

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...ronavirus.html

<snip>
All Qantas and Jetstar scheduled international flights will be suspended from the end of March until at least 31 May 2020. Some additional services may be considered to assist with repatriation. More than 150 aircraft will be grounded during this time, including all of Qantas’ A380s, 747s and 787s.
<snip>

nancypants Mar 27, 2020 3:56 pm

I have a feeling that it’s a qantas rule to wear uniform on duty travel as well

number_6 Mar 27, 2020 6:25 pm

Q hotel (former quarantine station at North Head Sydney) is once again to be used for quarantine....pretty nice as it was built for 40 day quarantine stays so big rooms and well spaced. But very isolated, doubt any UberEats delivery there. Q is charging gov't AUD 100 per night which is their break-even cost, so no profit but keeps the lights on and staff employed.

og Mar 27, 2020 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by number_6 (Post 32239822)
Q hotel (former quarantine station at North Head Sydney) is once again to be used for quarantine....pretty nice as it was built for 40 day quarantine stays so big rooms and well spaced. But very isolated, doubt any UberEats delivery there. Q is charging gov't AUD 100 per night which is their break-even cost, so no profit but keeps the lights on and staff employed.

I’ve stayed there before it was privately operated. It’s just stunning. Almost makes you want to get sick just to stay there.

Tech Noir Mar 28, 2020 8:01 am

Originally Posted by number_6 (Post 32239822)
But very isolated, doubt any UberEats delivery there.

It's about 2km to the centre of Manly... hardly "very isolated".