Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Australian enforced mandatory quarantine - QF 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australian enforced mandatory quarantine - QF 2

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2020, 9:02 am
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Q Hotel. About 3km from Manly. Uphill walk on Darley St for most of the way may take 40 minutes for some. Poor bus service which is non-existent after dark. No street lighting in the near vicinity. No shops nearby. No footpath nearby. No nearby housing. Not recommended to walk there at night. Feels like the middle of nowhere and a bit creepy at night making it seem somewhat remote. Occasional local hoons driving between North Head and Manly area. Otherwise, quite good.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:20 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by DC9
Q Hotel. About 3km from Manly. Uphill walk on Darley St for most of the way may take 40 minutes for some. Poor bus service which is non-existent after dark. No street lighting in the near vicinity. No shops nearby. No footpath nearby. No nearby housing. Not recommended to walk there at night. Feels like the middle of nowhere and a bit creepy at night making it seem somewhat remote. Occasional local hoons driving between North Head and Manly area. Otherwise, quite good.
Sounds lovely:-) but is any of that going to matter since they presumably won't be setting foot outside?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:36 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] Please stay close to the topic which is about QF and quarantine not quarantine in general. [/mod hat]
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:21 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
[mod hat] Please stay close to the topic which is about QF and quarantine not quarantine in general. [/mod hat]
Is QF involved in selecting hotels for pax (as they do for irrops in the past) or is the quarantine hotel assignment done entirely by the government? It sounds like there is quite a diverse range of quality in the hotels being used, do some pax get a suite and others a no-view hovel? Guessing that QF has no control and QFF status or class of travel also has no benefit in hotel assignment. Bit grim to stay at most hotels for 14 days given no exit from the room.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:45 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] I have deleted two posts discussing moderator action. Happy for you to continue discussing but there should be a Qantas connection to it otherwise this should move to the Australia forum. [/mod hat]
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
[mod hat] I have deleted two posts discussing moderator action. Happy for you to continue discussing but there should be a Qantas connection to it otherwise this should move to the Australia forum. [/mod hat]
Thanks for clarifying the rules.

Guys, if you’re interested I’ve started a new thread in the Australia forum: “Location for COVID 19 quarantine: Sydney”.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
So it seems tech crew from the QF 1/5(?) are flying on the QF 2 back to Sydney tonight as passengers, but they are wearing uniform.

Is this so that border force/the military at SYD can identify and round up only passengers into the quarantine buses to be deposited like refugees to their confinement? Expertflyer seat map for the first class cabin is under airport control and not accessible...
QF5/6 was a special service operating PER-LHR-PER-SYD on 25-29 March by B789 VH-ZNE. The aircraft previously operated the truncated QF10.

I imagine that their ASICs would be more important than the uniform. Catch Me If You Can anyone?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:25 pm

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Originally Posted by number_6
Is QF involved in selecting hotels for pax (as they do for irrops in the past) or is the quarantine hotel assignment done entirely by the government? It sounds like there is quite a diverse range of quality in the hotels being used, do some pax get a suite and others a no-view hovel? Guessing that QF has no control and QFF status or class of travel also has no benefit in hotel assignment. Bit grim to stay at most hotels for 14 days given no exit from the room.
I am happy for Aust citizens still abroad, that should have returned long ago, to stay abroad rather than come home (on QF or others) and have to bear with government funded quarantine. Many others, citizens and aliens, failed to properly quarantine and as such these measures are reasonable. In fact on a cost benefit basis they should have been implement 6 weeks ago. We would still have thousands of hotel workers employed and our infection numbers would be much lower.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
FWIW to those who are in a 14 day Quarantine Hotel - it could be worse. At least you do not have to pay.

I just finished my 14 days in a hotel as I entered Australia a few weeks ago and I had to pay the entire bill myself. However, I had no problem ordering Uber Eats. Glad to be out but it would have been nicer on my wallet if the Government picked up the tab as they are doing now for all new arrivals.

Moneywise - it is only a secondary concern. But I did wonder how many people did not stay isolated because they did not have the funds. I could not go home as my family are medical staff at a major hospital.

On the plus side - I did get heaps of points

Last edited by davistev; Apr 1, 2020 at 4:09 pm
Old Apr 1, 2020, 4:14 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by davistev
Glad to be out but it would have been nicer on my wallet if the Government picked up the tab as they are doing now for all new arrivals.
Maybe not so nice in the Government funded accommodation. Today’s SMH has dire stories of catering which is not (assumed) typical of the hotels used - and no outside food delivery possible.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 4:23 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Originally Posted by og
Maybe not so nice in the Government funded accommodation. no outside food delivery possible.
I am not sure why they implemented that silly rule. I saw no difference in getting hotel food left at my door and Uber Eats left at my door. The door knock sounded the same. I also ordered BWS delivery and Dan Murphy delivery. - both left at my door after a knock with no signature required. I think that rule is overly harsh and may have more to do with cost control that infection control or just another rule agreed by the overlords. I would not have survived if I did not have a large variety of restaurants and drinks to choose from.

I kept my self busy by doing US taxes for family members - not exciting but a perfect time to get that horrible paperwork out of the way. And no - there was not a direct corelation between tax refunds and empty Coopers bottles.
og and jrfsp320 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 4:34 pm

I am not sure why they implemented that silly rule. I saw no difference in getting hotel food left at my door and Uber Eats left at my door. .
They are probably concerned about a Zombie Apocalypse type situation with hoards of the great unfed peering through peepholes and swarming into the hotel corridors whenever a door knock is heard - blood everywhere, limbs flying. They don't need to worry about it with the food they are currently providing - even Zombies have standards.
og likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 4:37 pm

I kept my self busy by doing US taxes for family members - not exciting but a perfect time to get that horrible paperwork out of the way. And no - there was not a direct corelation between tax refunds and empty Coopers bottles.
Tax refunds - ohhh, you poor deluded man. To think that any government is going to have any money to refund to anyone at the end of this. Airlines however will receive plenty to fund their future stock buybacks. But as long as it kept you occupied. Me, I'm into day 9 of my KenKen self-isolation marathon. Much more productive use of time
Old Apr 1, 2020, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by og
Maybe not so nice in the Government funded accommodation. Today’s SMH has dire stories of catering which is not (assumed) typical of the hotels used - and no outside food delivery possible.
In Perth https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-...ravel/12111970
<snip>
However, Ms Nyirongo did say the hotel had been receptive to feedback and later revealed she had been able to have groceries delivered to her room. “The nice thing is they are listening and people have been complaining so they've changed the rules on outdoor food being allowed to be brought in,” she said.
<snip>
For those in isolation good food is needed. But with various dietary & cultural needs is hard
On Melbourne TV showed the Crown hotel chefs preparing food for their (Government) guests. Looked better than on line photos
FT thread ---> Location for COVID 19 quarantine: Sydney

[I have been preparing the documentation for the accountant to do my FY2020 tax returns]
Old Apr 12, 2020, 3:01 am

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
It all appears to have worked very well!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.