Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

How do I know if my flight is cancelled?

Old Mar 19, 20, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: frequent flyer

Qantas announced they were suspending all international flights till May. I'm currently overseas and I checked the status of my return flight in April and it still says confirmed . I've never had a cancelled flight with Qantas so I can't tell if this is normal procedure and I am not sure if I should change my return to one earlier or wait it out to my date. I have tried looking at their website for information but it all seems to be only about people who have not yet started their journey and there doesn't seem to be information for those already overseas. I have tried to contact their support service but the wait is over two hours. Is there anyone who has had experience with cancelled flights on Qantas that could at least let me what the normal cancel procedure?
Old Mar 19, 20, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
The flight is probably zeroed out and will cancel shortly. Think of it as a momentary IT glitch. Qantas has suspended all international flights from late March, which means you need to get in touch with the airline (website might be easier) to get yourself home earlier, or make your own arrangements. Where are you?
Old Mar 19, 20, 7:56 am

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm in the same position. Currently overseas with a return flight in a few days. Qantas says they are cancelling flights late March. No communication about exact dates (although they have given some detail for domestic).
Old Mar 19, 20, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), AA Exec Plat, BA Gold, MH Enrich Platinum
All Qantas and Jetstar international flights from Australia will be suspended from the end of March until at least the end of May 2020. Some additional services may be considered to assist with repatriation. More than 150 aircraft will be grounded during this time, including all of Qantas’ A380s, 747s and B787s.

That from email received today with Bolding from QF.
Old Mar 19, 20, 10:57 am

If you have plans on QANTAS to return to Australia after March 31st I strongly suggest you move your flight to the month of March.
Old Mar 19, 20, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Teoni View Post
Qantas announced they were suspending all international flights till May. I'm currently overseas and I checked the status of my return flight in April and it still says confirmed . I've never had a cancelled flight with Qantas so I can't tell if this is normal procedure and I am not sure if I should change my return to one earlier or wait it out to my date. I have tried looking at their website for information but it all seems to be only about people who have not yet started their journey and there doesn't seem to be information for those already overseas. I have tried to contact their support service but the wait is over two hours. Is there anyone who has had experience with cancelled flights on Qantas that could at least let me what the normal cancel procedure?
Where are you? Many have reported phone waits longer than 2hours
QF will not be flying internationally in April.
Looking as some trans Tasman QF flights it shows flights up to 25 March, but 26 March and later is shown as "N/A"
Old Mar 19, 20, 1:19 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
[mod hat] I have merged two threads into one. [/mod hat]
Old Mar 19, 20, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: frequent flyer
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Where are you? Many have reported phone waits longer than 2hours
The automated message did say between 2hrs and 3hr 45 min and lets face it that is just an estimate. I've decided I will change my flight. I just wish Qantas made their information clearer. I had another airline cancel a flight due to COVID 19 and they clearly put in my booking page that the flight is suspended and I could choose a refund or change flight whereas Qantas is saying if your flight isn't automatically cancelled I'm suppose to wait for them to call me. That might be alright for those in Australia but when you are overseas I want to know my options for getting home before those options could disappear. On top of that it seems unfair that I have to pay a change flight fee when it was their decision to ground the fleet. I can't help feeling like the delay in officially cancelling flights is Qantas trying to make some money from all the people who are going to change their flights.
Old Mar 19, 20, 5:59 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by sdix View Post
If you have plans on QANTAS to return to Australia after March 31st I strongly suggest you move your flight to the month of March.
DFAT recommends you return home ASAP ensuring you comply with local laws as movement in some jurisdictions is restricted.
Old Mar 19, 20, 6:08 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Teoni View Post
The automated message did say between 2hrs and 3hr 45 min and lets face it that is just an estimate. I've decided I will change my flight. I just wish Qantas made their information clearer. I had another airline cancel a flight due to COVID 19 and they clearly put in my booking page that the flight is suspended and I could choose a refund or change flight whereas Qantas is saying if your flight isn't automatically cancelled I'm suppose to wait for them to call me. That might be alright for those in Australia but when you are overseas I want to know my options for getting home before those options could disappear. On top of that it seems unfair that I have to pay a change flight fee when it was their decision to ground the fleet. I can't help feeling like the delay in officially cancelling flights is Qantas trying to make some money from all the people who are going to change their flights.
Teoni I suggest you make plans, if you are able, independent of your existing ticket to return to Australia immediately. If you are constrained with your existing ticket being your means to get home you will have to call them. My understanding is they are not operating a full schedule until the 31st but that by the 31st they will be operating next to no schedule so that means a wind down from now to then though of course they will fly out relatively empty if they have loads of passengers to return home where safe and legal to do so.

QANTAS is listed on the ASX. As soon at their Board decided to curtail their flight schedule they needed to disclose this under the continual disclosure listing rules to the stock market ie the equivalent of a public announcement. They will have made the decisions over the past week or so without having worked out the precise detail ie we will reduce domestic flying to 60% doesn't mean they have identified each and every service they will cancel. That will come in time.

They are rightly focusing on travellers in the short term, then the next week or two and then the outlying weeks and months.

There will be no change fee if your flight is cancelled and if it is covered by consumer law and a reasonable substitute it not available you will be entitled to a full refund.

I do not believe they are trying to make money out of this predicament. They are however constrained by IT systems that would never have been designed for such fast paced changes in operating conditions....like many other businesses.
MaddyC and Global_FD like this.
Old Mar 19, 20, 7:29 pm

Programs: QF WP LTS, HHonors Diamond, VA NP
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
The flight is probably zeroed out and will cancel shortly. Think of it as a momentary IT glitch.
My BNE-ORD in Sep has been zeroed out for weeks and has still to cancel - some momentary glitch. My TA could not confirm my preferred alternatives until it had cancelled, now the required buckets are no longer available for one leg and so I'm currently assigned (but not confirmed) on an itin which will take 6hrs longer. Of course there are many possible further pandemics between now and then ....

My advice would be to contact QF ASAP.

Regards,

BD
Old Mar 19, 20, 7:32 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, ICH RA, HH Silver, Hyatt GP
I have up coming flight in April in both QF and JQ - all cancelled. Anyone have any luck getting 100% refund rather than voucher?
Old Mar 19, 20, 8:31 pm
DML

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, HHonors Diamond
I have about 50 domestic flights coming up and at least 70% of them will be cancelled as things stand just now. They are mostly work related (I work remote out of ASP/AYQ and do my own bookings). It's going to be messy if each one results in a voucher - I would rather have a refund for some at least. Not worrying about it too much just now though as QF have bigger things to sort, as indeed do I. Somewhat regretting succumbing to the temptations of that last DSC offer now though!!
Beano likes this.
Old Mar 19, 20, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[off topic]
Originally Posted by jcjchung View Post
I have up coming flight in April in both QF and JQ - all cancelled. Anyone have any luck getting 100% refund rather than voucher?
Originally Posted by DML View Post
I have about 50 domestic flights coming up and at least 70% of them will be cancelled as things stand just now. They are mostly work related (I work remote out of ASP/AYQ and do my own bookings). It's going to be messy if each one results in a voucher - I would rather have a refund for some at least. Not worrying about it too much just now though as QF have bigger things to sort, as indeed do I. Somewhat regretting succumbing to the temptations of that last DSC offer now though!!
QF cash vs voucher being discussed here post 88 and later
QF Capacity reductions , SIN F lounge closure

A JQ Asia 3K voucher being discussed here, but not same as JQ
Jetstar Asia Not Getting It [offering voucher instead of refund]

Better is threads are kept on topic

[on topic]
Old Mar 20, 20, 2:43 am
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I have flights late next week that have been cancelled with no alternative available. I haven't yet been contacted by QF but expect to be early next week.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: