Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

14 Day quarantine- what are the restrictions?

14 Day quarantine- what are the restrictions?

Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:45 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Programs: QF WP, WoH Glob, Accor Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 288
Actually, depending on how you interpret the statement above, it could cover the Int to Int connection as well.

IE -
  1. All travellers must isolate for a period of 14 days after they have entered Australia.
  2. If you need to transit domestically, you may complete this transit and then begin your precautionary 14 day self-isolation period.
  3. If you have a layover, you must remain in the airport or self-isolate in your accommodation for the transit period.
  4. Refer to the ‘Isolation guidance’ information sheet for further information.
Is point 3 an extension of 'transit domestically'? If not, you're fine to self-isolate overnight before connecting onwards on another international flight.
gravii is offline  
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:07 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: AKL
Programs: NZ*E, QF WP/LTG
Posts: 58
Originally Posted by gravii
Actually, depending on how you interpret the statement above, it could cover the Int to Int connection as well.

IE -
  1. All travellers must isolate for a period of 14 days after they have entered Australia.
  2. If you need to transit domestically, you may complete this transit and then begin your precautionary 14 day self-isolation period.
  3. If you have a layover, you must remain in the airport or self-isolate in your accommodation for the transit period.
  4. Refer to the ‘Isolation guidance’ information sheet for further information.
Is point 3 an extension of 'transit domestically'? If not, you're fine to self-isolate overnight before connecting onwards on another international flight.
Yeah, it could definitely be up for interpretation. If anyone has gone through this experience already or heard an offical answer from the airlines or the border agency, your advice would be much appreciated!
KiwiHighFlyer is offline  
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:16 pm
  #33  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 20,831
Originally Posted by KiwiHighFlyer
I have almost the exact same question - flying KUL-SYD on MH arriving at 8:30pm, then connecting the next day SYD-AKL on QF at 12:30pm. Could also do a later flight KUL-SYD and connecting within 3h onto the SYD-AKL sector. But have no idea if either is feasible.

Any information on how these situations will be handled will be much appreciated!
All fights on 1 ticket?
Checked bags?
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:18 pm
  #34  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 44,320
Originally Posted by KiwiHighFlyer
I have almost the exact same question - flying KUL-SYD on MH arriving at 8:30pm, then connecting the next day SYD-AKL on QF at 12:30pm. Could also do a later flight KUL-SYD and connecting within 3h onto the SYD-AKL sector. But have no idea if either is feasible.

Any information on how these situations will be handled will be much appreciated!
Assuming the flights are operating, if you take the later KUL-SYD flight , then as long as any luggage is checked through to Auckland, then you will be able to stay airside and shouldnt be an issue
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:16 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Auckland, NZ/New York, NY/ATL
Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.3MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Posts: 5,177
Originally Posted by DLATL777
I have a CHC-SYD on EK on the 19th, less than 24 hours later connecting SYD-DFW on QF F. Separate tickets. Wait time on QF line is 7 hours. I am trying to confirm if I will be ok? I suspect since I have to clear customs the answer is NO and I will not be allowed back on the plane the next day as it will show I didn't quarantine.

However, what if I flew the same day CHC-SYD then turned right around and did SYD-LAX. Would that be allowed?

Thank you,
My issue is that if I get stuck, I wont risk it and will fly AKL-ORD. But I need to know in 48 hours and as I am sure you know, there is no getting through to QF. Other is my SYD-DFW is QF F and its miles vs spending 3.5K out of pocket.

Last edited by DLATL777; Mar 16, 2020 at 12:33 am
DLATL777 is online now  
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:32 am
  #36  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 44,320
I think that you need to get the answer from immigration authorities rather than Qantas staff. Qantas staff are not the ones that will be making determinations at immigration

If it was me, I would be making the change to be AKL-ORD and avoid the risk
nancypants likes this.
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Mar 16, 2020, 3:13 am
  #37  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Posts: 19,589
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I think that you need to get the answer from immigration authorities rather than Qantas staff. Qantas staff are not the ones that will be making determinations at immigration

If it was me, I would be making the change to be AKL-ORD and avoid the risk
The gov't info on this is at https://www.health.gov.au/sites/defa...avellers_0.pdf and seems crystal clear -- unusually for such regulations. For transit you can either stay in the airport airside, or if you go landside you must self-isolate in your hotel room for the duration of your transit. "If you have a layover, you must remain in the airport or self-isolate in your accommodation for the transit period" ... a sensible policy, so the 14 day period is the maximum but you can leave Australia earlier. Just no visits to the pub or restaurants. https://www.health.gov.au/sites/defa...l-guests_0.pdf "If you need to isolate, you should inform hotel management, who will advise you about where in the hotel you may stay. You will not be able to engage with other guests or receive visitors. Hotel staff will be able to bring you food and other supplies you may require. Hotel staff may supply you with a surgical mask to wear while they are in your room with you. While you are alone, there is no need to wear a mask. If you need to leave the hotel, such as to seek medical care, wear a mask. If you need to isolate, it is important that you do not use hotel facilities, such as restaurants, cafes, pools, gymnasiums and business centres. This may mean you need to use room service or other food delivery services."
percysmith, nancypants and serfty like this.
number_6 is offline  
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:44 am
  #38  
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: STR/SYD/SMF
Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Posts: 14,334
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I think that you need to get the answer from immigration authorities rather than Qantas staff. Qantas staff are not the ones that will be making determinations at immigration

If it was me, I would be making the change to be AKL-ORD and avoid the risk
I agree with Dave here. Ultimately airlines do not determine those matters. Personally I wouldn't take the a risk and everyone should also fully comply with all mandatory isolation orders, even if they can't be enforced.
nancypants likes this.
DownUnderFlyer is offline  
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:19 am
  #39  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Posts: 21,971
There is more information around now - basically those in transit (or a stopover of less than 14 days) should self isolate until they depart Australia.


https://www.health.gov.au/resources/...nal-travellers


If you have a layover, you must remain in the airport or self-isolate in your accommodation for the transit period.
serfty is offline  
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:53 am
  #40  
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Posts: 13,511
The first principles are to keep your distance from other people and wash hands with soap and water. How this is implemented is up to common sense and a sense of humanity for self and others.
number_6 likes this.
og is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.