Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

14 Day quarantine- what are the restrictions?

14 Day quarantine- what are the restrictions?

Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:33 am

Programs: QF WP, WoH Glob, Accor Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm in a similar situation. Due to come home and have a 24 hour connection in Melbourne. This is a legitimate transit rather then stopover ticketed by Qantas. Should I endure call centre wait times to try and change it? Happy to stay in the hotel for the period.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gravii
I'm in a similar situation. Due to come home and have a 24 hour connection in Melbourne. This is a legitimate transit rather then stopover ticketed by Qantas. Should I endure call centre wait times to try and change it? Happy to stay in the hotel for the period.
24 hours is a stopover and not a transit
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:59 am

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by gravii
If you demonstrate actions that limit exposure to others, I'm sure that will be fine.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:22 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
24 hours is a stopover and not a transit
And isnt 23:59:59 a transit if on the same ticket?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The term is "connection" vs. "stopover" and those have nothing to do with "transit" which has no real meaning in the context of an I-D transfer. Thus, the authority issuing the rules needs to define it, lest different officials define it differently.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:47 am

Apologies then, it's a domestic 'connection'. One within the 24 hour window, but close to 24hrs, and involving an overnight. QF didn't charge extra for the domestic leg tagged on.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:55 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
[mod hat] A few people have reported this thread as being in the wrong place as it is general in nature. They are of course right. On the other hand, obviously people are coming to this forum seeking this type of information. I will therefore keep the thread here for the time being and I have linked to here for the thread in the Oceania forum. [/mod hat]
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1
The term is "connection" vs. "stopover" and those have nothing to do with "transit" which has no real meaning in the context of an I-D transfer. Thus, the authority issuing the rules needs to define it, lest different officials define it differently.
Connection is no more a correct term than transit - Connection (Also known as "Transfer) is defined as the ability to ransfer passengers, baggage, cargo or mail from one flight to another within a reasonable time period. On-line connections concern transfers between flights of the same airline designator and interline connections between flights of different airline designators." ( source IATA glossary of terms ) .
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:37 pm
Suspended

For a day in Russia, 14 new cases of coronavirus infection were registered. The number of cases in the country, according to official figures, amounted to 59 people. There is a quarantine, but in fact ... The flight is still open
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:48 pm

Isn't the dirty secret that while the published rule says 14 day quarantine, there isn't really any strong enforcement - so in practice you are free to do what you want, ,and it is entirely out of the goodness of your own civic responsibility if you self-isolate?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:58 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Isn't the dirty secret that while the published rule says 14 day quarantine, there isn't really any strong enforcement - so in practice you are free to do what you want, ,and it is entirely out of the goodness of your own civic responsibility if you self-isolate?
Do the right thing
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:54 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
If you're not responsibly and it turns out you are a vector, even without your knowledge, large fines will be imposed.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.3MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
I have a CHC-SYD on EK on the 19th, less than 24 hours later connecting SYD-DFW on QF F. Separate tickets. Wait time on QF line is 7 hours. I am trying to confirm if I will be ok? I suspect since I have to clear customs the answer is NO and I will not be allowed back on the plane the next day as it will show I didn't quarantine.

However, what if I flew the same day CHC-SYD then turned right around and did SYD-LAX. Would that be allowed?

Thank you,
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:30 pm

Advice is published - though only covers domestic transit. https://www.health.gov.au/sites/defa...avellers_0.pdf

All travellers mustisolate for a period of 14 days after they have entered Australia.If you need to transit domestically, you may complete this transit and then begin your precautionary 14 day self-isolation period. If you have a layover, you must remain in the airport or self-isolate in your accommodation for the transit period. Refer to the ‘Isolation guidance’ information sheet for further information.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:34 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF WP/LTG
I have almost the exact same question - flying KUL-SYD on MH arriving at 8:30pm, then connecting the next day SYD-AKL on QF at 12:30pm. Could also do a later flight KUL-SYD and connecting within 3h onto the SYD-AKL sector. But have no idea if either is feasible.

Any information on how these situations will be handled will be much appreciated!

Last edited by KiwiHighFlyer; Mar 15, 2020 at 10:39 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.