Is anyone else worried about this?

Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jridge
That could be, I confess that I don't know the intricacies. When AB went into administration, award flights already booked on OW partners remained valid, see
https://de.oneworld.com/news/airberl...rom-28-octob-1
Would not necessarily be so in other cases (and anyway, the whole thread is hypothetical)
That is not the same as going out of business - iirc when Ansett went out of business, a lot of ticketed award flights were unusable since payment on awards were made by airlines after travel
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:21 pm

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by Caledonians
I have quite a few QF points saved, was going to use the points for a holiday next year.
I am worried that (obviously) if Qantas goes into administration all points will be lost.
I was going to hold off to save up more points but I think it might be wise to use my points now?
If I was to use my points (but choose other airlines to book the actual flights on, not choose Qantas carrier flights) would the flights still be honored with the other carriers?
Yes I'm also worried about what would happen if Qantas collapsed.

But - rather than being personally worried losing some freebie points I was going to use for a holiday - I'm more worried about the economic impact to Australia and the thousands of people who would have lost their jobs and livelihoods.

I couldn't believe seeing people on the TV news whining (in the immediate wake of 9/11 no less) about losing their points when Ansett collapsed - it seems people haven't changed much. First it's people fighting over stockpiling toilet paper - now people are worried about their airline points.

Last edited by Timothy Hillier; Mar 11, 2020 at 4:32 pm
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:01 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That is not the same as going out of business - iirc when Ansett went out of business, a lot of ticketed award flights were unusable since payment on awards were made by airlines after travel
My response was to a comment about Qantas going into administration, not out of business.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Timothy Hillier
Yes I'm also worried about what would happen if Qantas collapsed.

But - rather than being personally worried losing some freebie points I was going to use for a holiday - I'm more worried about the economic impact to Australia and the thousands of people who would have lost their jobs and livelihoods.

I couldn't believe seeing people on the TV news whining (in the immediate wake of 9/11 no less) about losing their points when Ansett collapsed - it seems people haven't changed much. First it's people fighting over stockpiling toilet paper - now people are worried about their airline points.
One does not rule out the other. Of course I am concerned about this iconic Australian company and it's employees. Plus the knock on effect from supply chains, contractors etc. It's ok to be thinking about both!

For us personally, we had been saving the points for quite a while. We're on very low income and were trying to save points to visit my partner's parent who is struggling with cancer. We had hoped to make the journey next year, we won't be able to afford flights for all three of us.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
As mentioned above - close to zero chance QF will go out of business. But finding award seats may be hard if they continue for an extended period with smaller planes. Just swapping an A380 for the 787 sees a couple of hundred seats disappear. While not all those are awards, proportionately award seats are going to be harder.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:11 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
As mentioned above - close to zero chance QF will go out of business. But finding award seats may be hard if they continue for an extended period with smaller planes. Just swapping an A380 for the 787 sees a couple of hundred seats disappear. While not all those are awards, proportionately award seats are going to be harder.
And if loading continue to suffer, specials may be more frequent and these may come close to the Award cost for all those extras (taxes, surcharges, executive bonuses etc).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.