Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF Capacity reductions , SIN F lounge closure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF Capacity reductions , SIN F lounge closure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:04 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Sorry, typo! It's DRW instead of PER they are investigating.
Jesus yes, I’m even more up for that!
also Gunner will have his hand off and there’ll be no Perth airport style shenanigans I’m sure
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:14 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nancypants
Jesus yes, I’m even more up for that!
also Gunner will have his hand off and there’ll be no Perth airport style shenanigans I’m sure
I believe DRW can handle heavy aircraft, it would just need A388 gates.

That said, with an evening LHR departure, followed by a red eye on the final leg of QF2 and possibly a 05:00 arrival is going to be awful. Pax will be shattered when they get home.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:18 pm

I believe DRW can handle heavy aircraft, it would just need A388 gates.

That said, with an evening LHR departure, followed by a red eye on the final leg of QF2 and possibly a 05:00 arrival is going to be awful. Pax will be shattered when they get home.
hold on, are they intending on doing a DRW-LHR direct/non stop with an A380?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:48 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nancypants
hold on, are they intending on doing a DRW-LHR direct/non stop with an A380?
SYD-DRW-LHR LHR-DFW-SYD on A388 in future. Interim would 789.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:15 pm

fascinating. I believe DRW can physically accomodate an A380, we have the widest runway in Australia and of course a semi regular diversion airport etc

the capacity of the airport to handle a full a380 of passengers would be a far bigger logistical challenge
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:22 pm

Programs: QF
Its about 400 miles less from DRW than PER...i still cant see it personally. Perhaps on a 789, i think demand is going to recede still further.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
DRW LHR is longer than SYD DFW, and would need a lot of Chinese airspace to take the shortest route, and Chinese airspace is heavily cluttered with military zones that could require deviations from the shortest route. Does the A380 have the range for that? Would be an interesting option though.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
That would definitely go down in the record books as the smallest community served by an A380.
Koru Flyer and deeruck like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:42 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Is this part of the negotiating tactics with PER? DRW-LHR is certainly more reliable since its about 400 miles shorter (by GCM) than PER-LHR and may allow greater loadings but using it as a hub for connecting traffic may be a stretch?
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by og; Mar 13, 2020 at 5:03 am
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:07 am

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Looks like my upcoming trip to USA in early June which is AKL-SYD-SFO will be switched on SYD-SFO on QF73 to a 747 from 787. Ugh means old seats. I'm guessing thats not going to be a reason they would allow a change to a different flight.

My return is LAX-SYD on QF12. This is currently on an old config A380, This seems to be unchanged. Wonder if they might swap this for a newer config A380?
Our SYD-SFO also got „downgraded“ to 747 in J and I consider 2/3/2 seating to be a real downgrade. Certainly don‘t want to fly on the 747 as they even replaced the old F cabin with the dreaded angled J seats

The flight time has also slightly changed (by 10 min I think) but this is already the second time change since I booked this flight (can‘t remember by how much it was changed the first time as at least the aircraft remained the same).

When SQ is changing their flight times on a ticket I was always able to cancel award seats without charge. Is QF also allowing cancellation of awards free of charge if there was a time change (let alone aircraft change but I guess that does not count).

I also agree that if they actually combined two flights into one at least they should have used an A380 instead of that horrible 747...maybe some people would have even preferred to fly in F on that route.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Sydfly
Our SYD-SFO also got „downgraded“ to 747 in J and I consider 2/3/2 seating to be a real downgrade. Certainly don‘t want to fly on the 747 as they even replaced the old F cabin with the dreaded angled J seats
There are no Qantas 744 operating with Skybed M1 which had the 'dreaded' angled J seats.

The remaining 744 all have Skybed Mk 2 which can go fully horizontal. Yes - there is a design flaw in that the lower part my have a droop but this is easily fixed by using your rollaboard. 2-3-2 can be a pain, but even with this, there are only 3 of 56 fully enclosed middle seats and 19 more where you may need to climb over someone to reach the aisle.
og and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:28 pm

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Well let‘s be honest. It‘s a completely outdated J product on this 747. Period. And it‘s no substitute for a 1-2-1 seating with actual storage around you and a flat bed.

But the question was whether a schedule change can be used to allow free cancellation of an award ticket (or paid one for that matter).
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:13 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Well let‘s be honest. It‘s a completely outdated J product on this 747. Period. And it‘s no substitute for a 1-2-1 seating with actual storage around you and a flat bed.

But the question was whether a schedule change can be used to allow free cancellation of an award ticket (or paid one for that matter).
A few years ago I cancelled a domestic award ticket with full refund of points and $. The schedule change was less than one hour. Whether I could do the same today, I have no idea.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Well let‘s be honest. It‘s a completely outdated J product on this 747. Period. And it‘s no substitute for a 1-2-1 seating with actual storage around you and a flat bed.).
Sure, hoever, there are 13 seats with resaonable personal storage.
...But the question was whether a schedule change can be used to allow free cancellation of an award ticket (or paid one for that matter).
yes, it does depend on interpretation. Something which the Qantas conditions of carriage are of no real help. I posted this elsewhere today:
Originally Posted by serfty
It depends on what you define as a "significant change". Qantas define it as "a change that significantly impacts you and your travel plans".

This can be anything for the Passenger: change of aircraft type, change of routing etc. Maybe a "pub test" could be applicable.

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/book-a-...-carriage.html
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More cuts to capacity
Published on 17th March 2020 at 9:34 Link----> https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/me...us-response-2/
As a result of significant falls in travel demand due to Coronavirus, and new government restrictions across multiple jurisdictions in recent days, Qantas and Jetstar will make further and much larger cuts to domestic and international flying schedules.

To be phased in from the end of March 2020 onwards:
  • Total Group International capacity will be cut by around 90 per cent until at least the end of May 2020. This is up from a 23 per cent reduction for the fourth quarter of FY20 announced last week and largely reflects the demand impact of severe quarantine requirements on people’s ability to travel overseas.
  • Total Group Domestic capacity will be cut by around 60 per cent until at least the end of May 2020. This is a major increase from the 5 per cent reduction for the fourth quarter of FY20 and reflects a rapid decline in forward travel demand due to government containment measures, corporate travel bans and a general pullback from everyday activities across the community.
  • This represents the grounding of around 150 aircraft, including almost all of the Group’s wide-body fleet.
  • Previously announced cuts in place from end-May through to mid-September remain in place and are likely to be increased, depending on demand.
<snip>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.