Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF Capacity reductions , SIN F lounge closure

QF Capacity reductions , SIN F lounge closure

Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:12 am

Bummer.

we have trip planned in August with QF94 (LAX-MEl) going from A380 to B787, so better seats but I like the spaciousness of the A380.

We will also lose our return BNE-ORD flight, which now won’t commence until mid-Sept. Will be interesting to see what re-routes we are given and if Oneworld emerald status helps at all.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC
I don’t suppose anyone knows the times for QF1/2* - have a booking for May and booking is still showing as via Singapore but have some connecting flights to book so trying to find out what the new times will be (was quite looking forward to flying on a nice empty a380. In economy the flight via Perth I presume is going to save little to no time compared to flying via Singapore but will have a very long leg on an aircraft I’m not that big a fan of compared to the A380.

*on hold to c/s - 1 hour wait so far....
Old Mar 10, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by sistergeorge
I don’t suppose anyone knows the times for QF1/2* - have a booking for May and booking is still showing as via Singapore but have some connecting flights to book so trying to find out what the new times will be (was quite looking forward to flying on a nice empty a380. In economy the flight via Perth I presume is going to save little to no time compared to flying via Singapore but will have a very long leg on an aircraft I’m not that big a fan of compared to the A380.

*on hold to c/s - 1 hour wait so far....
And having spent a couple of hours on hold got through and they don’t know yet what the times will be for the flights via Perth...
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by sistergeorge
And having spent a couple of hours on hold got through and they don’t know yet what the times will be for the flights via Perth...
I'm guessing the new service will be using the same LHR slot as the present QF1 so probably an early morning arrival.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:39 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I posted this 2 days prior to announcement in an Australian FF Facebook group after Secret Flying posted some of the information (incorrectly).

This is less about Covid19 and more to do with the A388 pilot EBAs. AJ plays hardball.

I believe DFW is being investigated as a transit point for QF1/2 but this will obviously take time.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:58 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I posted this 2 days prior to announcement in an Australian FF Facebook group after Secret Flying posted some of the information (incorrectly).

This is less about Covid19 and more to do with the A388 pilot EBAs. AJ plays hardball.

I believe DFW is being investigated as a transit point for QF1/2 but this will obviously take time.
ridiculous if true. When is he leaving?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 1:29 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
I'm an infrequent QF flyer, with a SYD-MEL-SIN one way booking in late April. QF37 has been dropped, meaning I've been punted onto QF35 instead - which takes off before my SYD-MEL leg gets in! I assume an extra sweep will pick up the impossible connection and move the first leg too. Can anyone take an educated guess as to whether QF would respond positively were I to request a spot on the direct SYD-SIN flight, either on the same day or +/-1 day?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:36 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Hmmm. This suggests the possibility of a QF RTW. Long time since this happened - although the stops on the RTW 5 decades ago were more interesting.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:22 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by og
Hmmm. This suggests the possibility of a QF RTW. Long time since this happened - although the stops on the RTW 5 decades ago were more interesting.

I would be up for that- DO?
og likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:04 am

Programs: QFF
Why would they? They have US-UK traffic rights and could sell tickets on that leg, but there is a reason they pulled out of the trans Atlantic route years ago.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by goosegreen
So...quick q from a J newbie. I'm travelling SYD-DFW in J in May...fully paid ticket. Since there are 42 J seats in the 787 vs 64 in the A380, who and how do they decide who doesn't make the flight?
What did you decide to do? We are in the similar situation but flying with 5 yo on the same flight. Judging by the previous seat map, business class was almost full on our flight with only 6 seats remaining. Since Qantas changed the plane, no seats available for choosing.
My husband is worried that they will either downgrade us or put in the different parts of the plane. Is there a point calling Qantas to inquire about choosing seats or even re-route us through LAX? Or just seat and wait in hope of people cancelling their J class tickets? Also, in my understanding, F class tickets on that flight will be downgraded to J. So, even less seats.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:14 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Ellie_CA
.... wait in hope of people cancelling their J class tickets?...
Most corporate travel has been cancelled through April but not yet for May, so if the pandemic develops as expected then most of those J seats will become free in May, fwiw. Hard to predict future loads but some airlines have disclosed that their future bookings are down between 70-90%.....QF has less of a drop, due to the nature of the Australian market, but clearly expects J sales to be way down. My personal opinion is that the airplane part of travel is pretty safe, taxis and trains and even hotels and restaurants are more risky points of exposure. The bigger problem for the airlines is that corporate travel will be down for a decade as video conferencing and remote work is found to be more productive.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:32 pm

Programs: QF Plat
I had a First reward booking on QF7 SYD-DFW in June. Sadly, the aircraft change means that I have been 'downgraded' to J. This was processed yesterday. There has been no mention of refund of points difference/taxes etc. Should I be expecting this to be processed? Thanks for any insight.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by dsf
I'm an infrequent QF flyer, with a SYD-MEL-SIN one way booking in late April. QF37 has been dropped, meaning I've been punted onto QF35 instead - which takes off before my SYD-MEL leg gets in! I assume an extra sweep will pick up the impossible connection and move the first leg too. Can anyone take an educated guess as to whether QF would respond positively were I to request a spot on the direct SYD-SIN flight, either on the same day or +/-1 day?
There are plenty of flights beteen SYD and MEL, so that would unlikely to be an issue for you.

I have two QF37 bookings, one for June and one for August and both have been zeroed out. QF35 does not work for me on either day, so I'll be looking to be put on the QF*EK codeshare early the next morning (currently departing ~7pm, but from April will be 3:25am until the end of daylight savings, then 2:25am).
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:51 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by og
Sorry, typo! It's DRW instead of PER they are investigating.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.