MAXs for QF?

Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:45 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
MAXs for QF?

Media that AJ thinks MAXs can be had for a bargain price when they fly again. Might be a hard job to get the punters interested though. Or is this just business haggling to try for a cheaper Airbus price?

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...43fo.html?btis
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by og
Media that AJ thinks MAXs can be had for a bargain price when they fly again. Might be a hard job to get the punters interested though. Or is this just business haggling to try for a cheaper Airbus price?

I hope the latter, simply because the A320 is a much nicer aircraft to fly in. But if the price is right, and if the MAX ever goes back into full production, QANTAS would buy it.
shillard likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:25 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by og
Or is this just business haggling to try for a cheaper Airbus price?
This!...typical AJ tactics!
og and Blackcloud like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by og

The main Qantas short-medium fleet is the B737. Have ~75 pax & 4 cargo aircraft. But QF have 28 off B330
Introducing a new brand-model has 10 of millions of $$$$ in set up costs, training, spares, etc before 1 passenger steps a aboard.
While many would not fly in a 737Max until after a few years when/if it gets in the air (including myself) QF has a long history with Boeing
https://www.planespotters.net/airline/Qantas
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:47 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
QF pilot training has a proven track record of resulting in better outcomes when aircraft go wrong -- for example the A380 engine failure where the Airbus software deluged the pilots with hundreds of poorly prioritized alerts, yet the QF crew managed to deal with it superbly. The problems with the 737MAX could well have been non-issues with QF pilots, imho -- they have enough airmanship to handle the situation, unlike some other airlines. Sure the MAX had some poor design choices -- but so do all airplanes and complex systems. I'm sure Boeing will provide a lower price to QF than Airbus can, and the current 738 fleet has served QF extremely well -- which was obtained unexpectedly after 9/11 (QF picked up the AA canceled production positions for delivery after Ansett collapsed and QF needed quick capacity). By the time QF gets delivery the news media will be done with the Boeing MAX story and surveys show most pax don't know how many engines their plane has, much less whether it is Airbus or Boeing.
og, shillard and ps107 like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:53 pm

Programs: QF WP, WoH Glob, Accor Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
And don't forget the only other full service carrier, Virgin Australia is replacing their narrowbody fleet with confirmed 737 MAX orders. So pax wouldn't really have a choice if they were worried about the MAX, unless they fly budget.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:25 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gravii
And don't forget the only other full service carrier, Virgin Australia is replacing their narrowbody fleet with confirmed 737 MAX orders. So pax wouldn't really have a choice if they were worried about the MAX, unless they fly budget.
ahhh - there is JQ if you want an A320
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:04 am

Programs: QF WP, WoH Glob, Accor Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by og
That's budget though - Big corporate companies won't do Tiger/Jetstar. I personally wouldn't do it for leisure either unless Qantas/Virgin was unusually and exceptionally expensive.
og likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:26 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Obviously some advantages in the 737.

Namely pilot familiarity - although I suspect when the Max reenters service a short conversion course will be needed, but nothing compared to a 320.
Maintenance familiarity
Ground handling - QF gates and processes designed for hand loading, 320 is typically containers

But yep think it's just part of the negotiation process, albeit surprised it is already starting.
og likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 2:19 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moa999
...But yep think it's just part of the negotiation process, albeit surprised it is already starting.
kick Boeing while its down and almost out
Old Feb 24, 2020, 2:25 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by og
That's budget though - Big corporate companies won't do Tiger/Jetstar. I personally wouldn't do it for leisure either unless Qantas/Virgin was unusually and exceptionally expensive.
theres all kinds of full service options. SYD-MEL in REX (via ABX), or SYD-ADL (via BHQ). Airnorth from Brisbane (west) to Melbourne

totally not a duopoly 😉
Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:00 am

Programs: VA Platinum, QR Platinum, QF Gold, ITA Executive, HH Diamond, Accor Plus Diamond
I still think VA will can their orders. They have already deferred the MAX8s until 2025. The MAX10s are due to start arriving in 2021 but I guess it depends on their financial situation
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:33 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by og
Wow. I never thought I'd see the day. If QF and VA both end up flying the 737MAX, I'll have to grit my teeth and fly JQ domestically. If the MAX re-enters service, it will take many years of incident-free service before I consider boarding a plane where a software fix is required to compensate for a hardware flaw resulting from a design compromise.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:38 am

Programs: QF WP
How ironic that deathstar will be the ones without the max

(for avoidance of doubt Im not actually worried about flying on it. But the whole thing does tickle me. Interesting to see AJ copying Willie Walshs move of 6+ months ago if this is an airbus bargaining chip- but then I thought qantas group had a huge a320 order they cant cancel and didnt really know what to do with?!)
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:10 am

Programs: VA Platinum, QR Platinum, QF Gold, ITA Executive, HH Diamond, Accor Plus Diamond
Originally Posted by nancypants
How ironic that deathstar will be the ones without the max

(for avoidance of doubt Im not actually worried about flying on it. But the whole thing does tickle me. Interesting to see AJ copying Willie Walshs move of 6+ months ago if this is an airbus bargaining chip- but then I thought qantas group had a huge a320 order they cant cancel and didnt really know what to do with?!)
Qantas group have 109 A320s on order but they are all supposedly going to JQ
nancypants likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.