QANTAS J CLASS Meal Service

Old Feb 29, 20, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by choosethedrew View Post
I love flying Qantas domestically but wonder how sustainable all this loveliness is.
Perfectly sustainable given the prices they charge! USD1400 return fro a MEL-SYD on a weekday in biz class and the meal would cost AUD5, if that. QF doesn't over-cater the cabin, and while some will get a hot meal in biz class, others in row 3 will be left with the toasted sandwich or bowl of soup.
Old Feb 29, 20, 6:41 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
So is Europe behind Australia in adopting J seating (had a flat bed for a 2h55 PER-MEL flight) or is Australia behind Europe and will adopt Y++ seats Or will Australia become like the US and keep the F seats but not the food? I love flying Qantas domestically but wonder how sustainable all this loveliness is.
Trans-continental J fares are not generally what I would call cheap. They will run the widebodies across the country while there is sufficient passenger demand.
As it is, if is a mixed bag of 737s and A330s with somewhat different ideas of Business
Old Mar 1, 20, 12:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, *A Silver
Originally Posted by perthite View Post
Trans-continental J fares are not generally what I would call cheap. They will run the widebodies across the country while there is sufficient passenger demand.
As it is, if is a mixed bag of 737s and A330s with somewhat different ideas of Business
I suppose the point was around demand because business paid J seems to be declining around the world but holding up in Australia. Having said that, the PER-MEL flight I took, the cabin seemed to be full of staff.
Old Mar 1, 20, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suppose the point was around demand because business paid J seems to be declining around the world but holding up in Australia. Having said that, the PER-MEL flight I took, the cabin seemed to be full of staff.
Banks, mining companies, politicians... and lots of international connecting traffic (via Sydney). Keeps the planes full up front.
Old Mar 1, 20, 2:08 am

Programs: QF WP
staff travellers tend to target flights with low load factors- indeed the system encourages this. That said pants with his onload priority of 52 gets J maybe 40% of the time and mainly on less businessy sectors such as TSV-BNE. Never managed yet on CBR-MEL, MEL-PER etc. That said he is a totally pointless J class traveller as he doesn’t eat or drink anything and I usually have a row to myself down the back when he gets J
Old Mar 1, 20, 2:32 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by nancypants View Post
....That said he is a totally pointless J class traveller as he doesn’t eat or drink anything and I usually have a row to myself down the back when he gets J
That explains seeing the back row(s) on domestic blocked or occupied long before T-80 when very few other seats are allocated.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 1, 20, 3:38 am

Programs: QF Gold
Don't forget QF tried to get away with downgrading the product when the domestic A330's were delivered. People hated it so much that they had to start blocking the middle seats on the flights. It was Virgin keeping them in check that reversed this and is why we have got the great products we have now.
og likes this.
Old Mar 1, 20, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelislife View Post
Don't forget QF tried to get away with downgrading the product when the domestic A330's were delivered. People hated it so much that they had to start blocking the middle seats on the flights.
Maybe on some flights... and if you had status Have been on plenty of the 2-3-2 A330s where I was stuck in the last row with every seat occupied. Not fun.
Old Mar 1, 20, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
Originally Posted by travelislife View Post
Don't forget QF tried to get away with downgrading the product when the domestic A330's were delivered. People hated it so much that they had to start blocking the middle seats on the flights. It was Virgin keeping them in check that reversed this and is why we have got the great products we have now.
Maybe on some flights... and if you had status Have been on plenty of the 2-3-2 A330s where I was stuck in the last row with every seat occupied. Not fun.
Indeed, Qantas did introduce the 2x3x2 business for domestic routes and this flew for maybe 18 months before the VA Coast to Coast service began to bite.

Qantas' interim solution was to block the middle seat an place a table over the centre armrests making 2x1_1x2; they then introduced the lay flats over several years.
Old Mar 1, 20, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
Near the end of the time where they were in service, the middle easts were taken out of use. The seat map on;ly offered 2-2-2

They were in use a long time before that happened though
Old Mar 1, 20, 3:33 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Platinum
So is Europe behind Australia in adopting J seating (had a flat bed for a 2h55 PER-MEL flight) or is Australia behind Europe and will adopt Y++ seats Or will Australia become like the US and keep the F seats but not the food? I love flying Qantas domestically but wonder how sustainable all this loveliness is.
QF run the A330 on the MEL-SYD run which is just over an hour and there are other domestic short routes that get flat beds from time to time

Search this Thread
Search Engine: