Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas flights from Europe

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2020, 10:54 am
ECR
Original Poster

Qantas flights from Europe

I'll achieve more then enough status credits this year to retain QF Platinum, but unfortunately don't think I will be able to achieve the 4 QF flights so will lose status, but hopefully get a soft landing to QF Gold.

In the past it wasn't a problem as trips to Dubai were possible either on Qantas metal or Emirates as a QF codeshare, even after Qantas rerouted their own flights. This doesn't seem to be possible anymore. Tthe only return flights to Dubai I have been able to find online sold under a QF code are direct between London and Dubai in one direction but via Perth and Melbourne in the other direction.

I can start pretty much anywhere in Europe, but don't really want to travel as far as Singapore or Australia this year. I do plan to vist either Singapore or Australia next year so will be able to easily get the 4 flights next year with the Qantas metal flights from London and British Airways UK domestic connections to London sold as a QF codeshare.

Are there any obvious options I have missed for getting the 4 QF flights from Europe this year without going as far as Singapore or Australia?

I realise the sensible option is just to drop to QF Gold this year and then naturally get the 4 QF flights next year.

Last edited by ECR; Feb 9, 2020 at 4:33 pm
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:16 pm
S_B

Programs: QFF
Wasn't QF teeing up with KLM? are they offering any Codeshare flights with QF numbers?
ECR likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by S_B
Wasn't QF teeing up with KLM? are they offering any Codeshare flights with QF numbers?
But will only be a tag on to a QF flight. That is common with codeshares.
Doubt if QF have traffic rights to sell a standalone codeshare for an EU flight.
ECR likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 2:22 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Not sure you can count on a soft landing to Gold without 4 QF flights, this unofficial benefit may have been discontinued. You could be Bronze instead. You could buy QF codeshare UK to DXB one-way and fly back non-QFF and do that twice, still shorter than going to SIN and gets you WP. Worth it if you fly enough non-QF from cities with F lounges
ECR likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by number_6
You could buy QF codeshare UK to DXB one-way and fly back non-QFF and do that twice, still shorter than going to SIN and gets you WP.
It looks like a QF code from LON to DXB is only available as part of a round-trip fare to a point beyond DXB, and affordable fares perhaps only available as part of a round-trip itinerary to Australia - hence the OP's finding that you can fly a QF code to DXB but you have to route back to LON via Australia.
ECR likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think that the obvious thing to do would be to switch schemes to one where flights on Qantas are not required if based in Europe. QF's scheme is not a generous one by any standard

Other than a trip to Asia, I don't think that there is much that you can do to keep Platinum status and the sensible thing would be to let it drop to Gold
ECR likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 5:12 pm
ECR
Original Poster

Thank you all for your comments.

I agree QF isn't the most generous of schemes. I have found it useful as most of my travel is with oneworld (mostly BA) but I also have a few Emirates flights and the QF status is useful in that way as I'd never fly Emirates enough to get status with them.

I'm not too far of QF Lifetime Silver (providing of course QF don't change or remove it). Whilst the benefits of oneworld Ruby are small, it does give seat selection 7 days out and some degree of priority boarding with BA. Combined with Priority Pass (for third party lounge access) that I have from my credit card it would provide me with much of what I want.

I'll not worry about getting the 4 QF flights this year and hope I soft land to QF Gold, and that my travel next year might hopefully get me back to Platinum. If I don't get a soft landing and drop straight to Bronze then I'll just credit my flights later in the year to BA.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 5:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Depending on route and class of travel, check what your earnings would be in the AA scheme. Much better value redemptions, especially if wanting to go from Europe to Australia. 87.5k miles business and 110k 1st class - plus can travel down on Etihad's nice products ( and has decent availability ) - plus no several hundread dollar co-pay in form of surcharges to pay

Also, no 4 flight requirement on the AA scheme
ECR likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by ECR
I'll not worry about getting the 4 QF flights this year and hope I soft land to QF Gold, and that my travel next year might hopefully get me back to Platinum. If I don't get a soft landing and drop straight to Bronze then I'll just credit my flights later in the year to BA.
Even as recently as the end of last month I am aware of a "soft landing" from Platinum to Gold occurring without having four eligible Qantas flights credited to Qantas Frequent Flyer.

(The person in question began crediting all pertinent flights to BAEC once they achieved Platinum re-qualification with Qantas late in 2018.)
ECR likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:12 pm
ECR
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Depending on route and class of travel, check what your earnings would be in the AA scheme. Much better value redemptions, especially if wanting to go from Europe to Australia. 87.5k miles business and 110k 1st class - plus can travel down on Etihad's nice products ( and has decent availability ) - plus no several hundread dollar co-pay in form of surcharges to pay

Also, no 4 flight requirement on the AA scheme
Thank you. The AA scheme is certainly very impressive for long haul travel whereas BA is good for short haul. They are probably the two front runners if I don't retain Qantas status.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:15 pm
ECR
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
Even as recently as the end of last month I am aware of a "soft landing" from Platinum to Gold occurring without having four eligible Qantas flights credited to Qantas Frequent Flyer.

(The person in question began crediting all pertinent flights to BAEC once they achieved Platinum re-qualification with Qantas late in 2018.)
Thank you. I'll report back after by QFF year end as to whether I got a soft landing or not.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: QF Gold
FWIW after all the DXB changes above there was still the option to route LHR-DXB-BKK on QF codes for a very reasonable price - however even that has now been pulled
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
There are absolutely *no* indications that soft landings aren't being offered, automatically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.