Standby for Earlier Flight MEL-AKL?

Old Feb 8, 20, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Standby for Earlier Flight MEL-AKL?

Later this year, the wife and I will be using AA miles HND-AKL in C class. We will be arriving MEL and there are two flights before our late departure to AKL. We won't have any checked baggage just carry-ons. What are the chances of standing by for one of the two earlier flights? Is this a no-no on QF?
Old Feb 8, 20, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExGateAgt View Post
Later this year, the wife and I will be using AA miles HND-AKL in C class. We will be arriving MEL and there are two flights before our late departure to AKL. We won't have any checked baggage just carry-ons. What are the chances of standing by for one of the two earlier flights? Is this a no-no on QF?
Are you stopping in MEL or a through ticket? Route---> Great Circle Mapper
Normally QF will not do that, unless it suits QF (not the pax)
You ask in the MEL T2 QF club desk, but do not like your chances.
Unpopular (late night?) flights are more likely to have award space, hence the flight you are on with AA ff miles
Old Feb 8, 20, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Thru ticket coming in on CX, but there are worse places to be stuck for awhile. Just hate that O-Dark-Thirty arrival in AKL.......
Old Feb 8, 20, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thru ticket coming in on CX, but there are worse places to be stuck for awhile. Just hate that O-Dark-Thirty arrival in AKL.......
Yep. Some years ago did that flight every 3~4 weeks for ~5 months. Was QF39 in those days

Worth checking via AAdvantage if awards become available on the earlier flights

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 8, 20 at 7:28 pm
Old Feb 10, 20, 3:31 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
If you are routing HND-HKG-MEL-AKL then better chance to get award space HND-HKG-AKL than getting seated on the earlier MEL-AKL departure in J ... those earlier flights will be 100% full in J with upgrades which clear prior to your landing in MEL, and any pending upgrade requests would have priority over you. So really zero chance unless coronavirus convinces pax to cancel their flights en masse.
Old Feb 10, 20, 8:51 am
Original Poster

I could easily get J on QF direct HKG-AKL, but I wanted to try out CX's new A-350. Also, won't AA charge me a big change fee?
Old Feb 10, 20, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I could easily get J on QF direct HKG-AKL, but I wanted to try out CX's new A-350. Also, won't AA charge me a big change fee?
Do you mean CX for HKG-AKL and I assume that you mean U class given it is an award ticket

Whatever flight you are booked on from MEL-AKL is the one that you will be on except in exceptional circumstances/ If you ask to make a change, you will be correctly referred back to AA

If you can get the non stop from HKG-AKL, would defintiely go for that rather than sit for hours at Melbourne airport

If you are on OneWorld flights ,are not changing the origin and destination and new flights are on OneWorld, then generally you can change the routing without any penalty. So as long as you still end up with HND-AKL, you should be able to change without penalty
Old Feb 10, 20, 1:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
CX operates A350-1000 to AKL (2 out of 3 daily flights with the exception being the Air NZ flight currently operated by CX 77W).
Old Feb 10, 20, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I meant U class, sorry. Only thing is AA doesn't even offer the direct HKG-AKL option on CX113 which would connect perfectly. Should I call AA, would they have more access to space?

Last edited by ExGateAgt; Feb 10, 20 at 6:49 pm
Old Feb 10, 20, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Only thing is AA doesn't even offer the direct HKG-AKL option on CX113 which would connect perfectly. Should I call AA, would they have more access to space?
If you are seeing award availability from another site, then it is worth a call

This sort of question should be put the to the AA forum
Old Feb 11, 20, 8:43 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
This sort of question should be put the to the AA forum
[mod hat] Correct. Please focus on QF relevant posts. Booking a CX flight with AA miles is stretching the QF focus quite a bit. [/mod hat]

Search this Thread
Search Engine: