Wiki Posts
Search

Economy seating: A380 vs 787

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2020, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Economy seating: A380 vs 787

For an upcoming trip in March from the US to Australia I'm looking at travelling OW, so it's either a QF A380 or an AA 787. As OWE I should be able to get MCE on the AA flights, although looks like these are pretty much taken now (maybe one left). I guess that the A380 economy should be better than the 'standard' AA economy? On the flights it looks like the A380's still have upper deck economy, although these seats appear to be either already booked, or blocked.

Any thoughts?
Old Feb 2, 2020, 2:08 am

Programs: VA Platinum, QR Platinum, QF Gold, ITA Executive, HH Diamond, Accor Plus Diamond
QF could also change it to one of the refurbished birds which don’t have any Y seats on the upper deck. I know of several folks who have booked Y on the upper deck and then been changed to the lower deck when the aircraft has changed.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:54 am

Same seat pitch on both but wider (1-2 inches) seat on QF A380.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks so far... . Cetainly the wider seats would be welcome, although if I managed to nab one of the AA MCE that would be 35" vs the standard 31". Of course, I could a bulkhead/exit that would be good, so then the question is, if the upper deck Y is no longer there, are the row# on the lower deck the same?
Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CKBA
Thanks so far... . Cetainly the wider seats would be welcome, although if I managed to nab one of the AA MCE that would be 35" vs the standard 31". Of course, I could a bulkhead/exit that would be good, so then the question is, if the upper deck Y is no longer there, are the row# on the lower deck the same?
Look at the QF seat maps---> https://www.qantas.com/au/en/qantas-...-800%3Aen%3Ann
You can pay extra on QF for an economy seat with more legroom.
Seat selection with QF can be a issue. More seat options can open up at T-80. But with OW Emerald status it could OK from the start

Another thread of QF A380 seating----> Any way to tell if Qantas A380 will be one of the refurbed ones?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:47 pm

Have you flown economy on 9-abreast 787 long haul? If you have any breadth (shoulders or waist) I would avoid it. I have fairly broad shoulders and find the 787 a nightmare. I do whatever I have to - including paying a few hundred dollars more even in economy - to avoid it on any flight over about 6-7 hours. OTOH, if you're fairly skinny this might not affect you.
og, Yoshi212 and LimaFoxtrotRomeo like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.