Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

DeathStar - the straw that broke the camel's back

Old Jan 30, 20, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.

Ok, so I've never been a fan of PusStar.

They took my beloved QF717s from the NTL-SYD route so this relationship was never going to get off to a good start.

Over the years they have eroded the QF Domestic network. I'm sure that there have been some marginal savings for QF but when the CRASH-8s doing NTL-MEL typically sold last-minute Y seats at $900+ (and I know - because I bought them, as did many others) while the replacement BoganStar seats sell for $49.... well... you know.

I even spent an entire QF Link flight BNE-NTL next to Joyce absolutely tearing him a new one over what a sh*tshow this operation is. No doubt by QF profile has a "NEVER SIT NEXT TO ALAN JOYCE" note on it now.

So pretty much every JQ flight NTL-MEL-NTL is late. I mean all of them, without fail. FlightAware even puts the average delay at 20-40 minutes. LOLz.

Today was a day trip debacle. NTL-MEL took off 15 minutes late, landed 10 minutes late. First flight of the day (06:10) from NTL, and no Hornets or Junk Strike Failures buzzing about so not sure what the excuse was for that.

We land at MEL and get to the gate 10 minutes late. SLC file out, and a queue forms at the entry to T4 because NOBODY HAS THE CARD TO OPEN THE DOOR.

We wait for another 10-15 minutes until one of the baggage monkeys ambles over (checking his watch to ensure he goes into overtime) to open the door and allow us in. Classic. Air India couldn't even aspire to that level of incompetence. The "security" check from Kathmandu to Delhi was a model of precision and order by comparison.

So on the return leg, I arrive for JQboundtobedelayed scheduled for 16:25. No SMS or app or email notifications but the boards showing a 20 minute delay. Not too shabby by ZXSpectrumStar standards, so I can work with that.

Then an urgent call to get to the gate for immediate boarding!!!

Waiting at the gate for 10 minutes, only to see the pax from the inbound aircraft start to enter the terminal. ...??? Ok, maybe they've been waiting outside for 10 minutes too. But NOOOOOOO.....

30 minutes pass and no sign of boarding. Flight Aware just claims the flight is "scheduled" - no time info. Not good. I ask the gate staff ... is going on.

"Um, one moment..."

Nek minnit: "Gate change for JQSNAFU, now Gate 41". LOLz. Aircraft sub. Schlep to gate 41 and my 20/10 vision says nobody in the cockpit, cargo doors open, fuel truck just hooking up.

"Estimated departure in 25 minutes."

I call, at the top of my voice, "OH DEAR!!!" Ask the gate staff where the aircrew are. Where are the cabin crew? Have the bags been transferred? How long to load the fuel? Are they taking the urine???

"Um. I'll check with operations and get back to you."

5 minutes later: "Engineering issue with the original aircraft resolved, please return to Gate 41".

Eventual departure 1hour 20 minutes after scheduled time, arrival 1 hour 35 minutes late.

FFS.

DONE. This little black duck says "NO MORE".
DC9, ps107, MKBshaw and 1 others like this.

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; Feb 11, 20 at 10:53 pm Reason: Removed profanities
Old Jan 30, 20, 3:39 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Was the coffee any good?
shillard, levelnine, ps107 and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 30, 20, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by og View Post
Was the coffee any good?

The TEA was rubbish, you heathen!!!
og, pandaperth, SightseeMC and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 30, 20, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og View Post
Was the coffee any good?

Pretty sure that they ran out of coffee.

And the pilots ate the fish.
og and Blackcloud like this.

Last edited by shillard; Jan 30, 20 at 3:59 am Reason: Typo
Old Jan 30, 20, 4:06 am

Programs: QF WP
That does sound excessively poor

clearly I have too much time on my hands tonight but I have worked out that from 16 JQ sectors in the last year I had an average departure delay of 14.68 minutes (range 6 early to 70 late- which was rescheduled in advance FWIW, also a 55 minute delayed departure due to single runway ops in Sydney. 4 flights early departure, 1 “on time”, 11 delayed), average arrival delay of 13.06 minutes (range 24 early to 74 minutes late which was the SYD delayed departure above)

only NTL departure (to OOL) was 15 minutes delayed at either end

Couple of thoughts about this (Primarily relating to my personal JQ routes- almost entirely ex DRW)
1) I suspect Darwin flights in general are relatively less prone to delays given the hours they generally operate (virtually all red eyes, very few daytime flights- reduced congestion, aircraft utilisation etc). We do seem to be relatively more likely to be cancelled although (touch wood) I haven’t had that yet
2) I wonder if they don’t pad their schedules as efficiently as the big sister?
3) not sure what’s the G-O with NTL- any thoughts generally? I appreciate it’s something of a secondary market but so is DRW. I know DRW is handy for east coast curfew busting but not the O&D demand for longer overnight trips from NTL? They also seem to base a lot of cabin crew in/at NTL (based on crew comments only, have no statistics to back that up)

I should of course add the disclaimer that I look at this through the prism of doing a lot of flights on AirNorth who surely have the worst OTP of any australian airline- surely?!

also glad to hear you have AJ a serve- almost surprised to hear he was found on a dash service and with the seat next to him not blocked. I wonder if I can convince them to add “do not seat next to AJ” to my profile without having to take a flight with him. When’s he leaving?!
shillard likes this.
Old Jan 30, 20, 7:07 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Deathstar is a blight on the Australian aviation landscape, no doubt about it.
shillard likes this.
Old Jan 30, 20, 9:22 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by shillard View Post
I even spent an entire QF Link flight BNE-NTL next to Joyce absolutely tearing him a new one over what a sh*tshow this operation is. No doubt by QF profile has a "NEVER SIT NEXT TO ALAN JOYCE" note on it now.
Did he at any point say to you, "Well despite all that you're still here and I've still got your money." Cos he should have.

Vote with your feet.
Old Jan 30, 20, 12:25 pm

is there a better writer then a fired up aussie? i think not.
eminere, hhdl and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Jan 30, 20, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mctaste View Post

Wherever I am, I must post emotionally.
mctaste likes this.

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; Feb 11, 20 at 10:55 pm Reason: Removed profanities
Old Jan 30, 20, 8:03 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Platinum
They have been on my banned list for many years. Under no circumstances would I fly with them, most useless organisation going around
shillard likes this.
Old Jan 31, 20, 12:17 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by AdelaideAce View Post
They have been on my banned list for many years. Under no circumstances would I fly with them, most useless organisation going around
Ditto...
Old Jan 31, 20, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mctaste View Post

If anyone wants to make use of my talents as a copywriter, PM me.

I have a 100% success rate on Gumtree. You should read the ads that I write!
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 1, 20, 3:09 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
On any airline I don't even consider it's a delay until it's at least 30min.
QF is often not much better
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 3, 20, 5:39 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by moa999 View Post
On any airline I don't even consider it's a delay until it's at least 30min.
QF is often not much better
Agreed. If you are using public transport you should not be so worried about a <30 min delayed arrival, very few systems are like the Swiss railways. And no one should care how late your flight leaves that is irrelevant....It is how late it arrives that is relevant.
Old Feb 3, 20, 1:03 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by mikalee View Post
Agreed. If you are using public transport you should not be so worried about a <30 min delayed arrival, very few systems are like the Swiss railways. And no one should care how late your flight leaves that is irrelevant....It is how late it arrives that is relevant.
An even better indicator is a “expected kerbside arrival time”. This covers baggage delivery times and immigration lines.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: