Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Trip Report: Qantas First Class A380 Singapore to Melbourne - Best Flight Ever!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Report: Qantas First Class A380 Singapore to Melbourne - Best Flight Ever!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'm not a huge Qantas fan but that looked pretty good. The food was a bit too fancy for me though.

Thanks for posting.
johnsw1988 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:37 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by m0hamed
....As such, if you did, it's possible the flight crew were told to delight you.
I can only imagine how this message would be interpreted by the crew ..
johnsw1988 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Did you upload any photos to social media prior to take off?

QF uses social listening software and the social media team will alert staff to take action. e.g. If someone says they are in the F Lounge and it's a birthday, QF social media team will tell the lounge staff to send a little cake. Similarly, if someone complains about the lounge cleanliness, they will alert the lounge manager.

As such, if you did, it's possible the flight crew were told to delight you.

Regardless, awesome TR and experience.
I did post the Singapore FC Lounge photos on my personal Facebook, and it was private and I didn't tag Qantas, and no onboard photos. I doubt they knew it, unless they stalked me before hand, which I doubt! ;-)

Perhaps they figured out as I was so excited as soon as I boarded the plane haha..
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
This does look awesome! As I just mentioned in the other "Emerald City" thread, I am in business on this plane (old config) on QF12 in June LAX-SYD which is scheduled for 15 hours.

Thinking it might be worth putting in for an upgrade to First. They are quoting me 61,600 points to upgrade. Is this the normal rate or is it higher because I'm on a sale fare in business?

I'm Plat, does anyone know what the odds are of upgrade clearing?
I'm not familiar with the upgrade process.

Regarding the service, it was my first flight with QF, so I can't tell much as I don't have any benchmark. As many mentioned, the food is nothing over the top, but the service (at least in my case) was absolutely fantastic! I think it also depends on how full the cabin is.

If you have extra miles to spare and knowing for sure you get the old config, I think it's worth the upgrade (again I don't even know how much it costs), especially for 15 hr flight.]

Cheers!
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:40 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by johnsw1988
I did post the Singapore FC Lounge photos on my personal Facebook, and it was private and I didn't tag Qantas, and no onboard photos. I doubt they knew it, unless they stalked me before hand, which I doubt! ;-)

Perhaps they figured out as I was so excited as soon as I boarded the plane haha..
Did you have a First host? They do research F pax prior to departure
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
This does look awesome! As I just mentioned in the other "Emerald City" thread, I am in business on this plane (old config) on QF12 in June LAX-SYD which is scheduled for 15 hours.

Thinking it might be worth putting in for an upgrade to First. They are quoting me 61,600 points to upgrade. Is this the normal rate or is it higher because I'm on a sale fare in business?

I'm Plat, does anyone know what the odds are of upgrade clearing?
It is 'standard' for Discount Business to First. Flexible Business to First is about 5 thousand points 'cheaper'. My upgrade strike rate - not that I do it a lot - discount J to F on Qantas (I'm platinum) has been good, but always with the upgrade requested a long way out. When doling out upgrades it seems to be status first, and possibly timing second (i.e. if you requested it before another platinum did). I don't know what influence the purchased fare has (sale business versus discount business versus flexible business).
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:20 am

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by tuapekastar
It is 'standard' for Discount Business to First. Flexible Business to First is about 5 thousand points 'cheaper'. My upgrade strike rate - not that I do it a lot - discount J to F on Qantas (I'm platinum) has been good, but always with the upgrade requested a long way out. When doling out upgrades it seems to be status first, and possibly timing second (i.e. if you requested it before another platinum did). I don't know what influence the purchased fare has (sale business versus discount business versus flexible business).
Thanks for that advice, I have put in for an upgrade, its over 4 months away so fingers crossed! Will report back here later!
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
I could be missing something, but I'm surprised there hasn't been a TR of the new retrofit planes? I've looked and not seen one? Any suggestions?
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by TGGDEL
I could be missing something, but I'm surprised there hasn't been a TR of the new retrofit planes? I've looked and not seen one? Any suggestions?
I was on one a couple weeks ago in F. Nice new fresh seat. Did poke
my head upstairs and saw the new J seats, massive improvement. Sorry I’m not the TR type!
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by TGGDEL
A few months prior to taking this flight, my seat map briefly changed to the newly configured planes. Unfortunately, it switched back to the old seats. I believe there was only 1 or maybe 2 planes retrofitted, so my chance getting on those retrofitted planes was slim.

Regardless, the service was incredible, I was happy with the old seat. Not to mention, it was kind of cool to fly Qantas' first A380 registration VH-OQA - Nancy-Bird Walton.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 8:11 am
Original Poster

I finally had a time to write more - as a follow up post, I also stopped by the Qantas International First Lounge in Melbourne (I attached the review below if you want to read more). Three things I like the most:
  • Incredible view overlooking the tarmac.
  • The departure board - classic!
  • The staff - incredibly welcoming.

https://firstofly.com/2020/02/21/qan...melbourne-mel/
Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:14 am

Programs: QF PS and spouse of QP Senior Lifer PS, UA, AA, DL, AS, AV
The supper had beef tatami? With real straw presumably. Lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.