Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Is there much chance Qantas will fly AKL-PER again

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints, Qantas FF

I’m looking at flights to PER and notice Qantas hasn’t reintroduced AKL-PER seasonal flights for a while. Will we see it again someday and even as year round flights?

At the moment I need to transfer on the east coast of Australia unless I want to go over to Air NZ.

thanks.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Been reported Qantas and Perth airport have an ongoing disagreement. Unlikely QF will put many new flights into PER until settled.
Anyway QF aircraft are being used. Not many(any?) sitting around doing nothing. QF will fly to make a profit

Last post Nov 2018---> Qantas to launch Perth-Auckland?
Old Dec 28, 2019, 2:13 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Yup, QF is holding new international services hostages at PER to put pressure on the airport to resolve this long-running dispute. PER-CDG was also to start in 2020, but out of the question now, along with PER-JNB and PER-AKL. QF has also withheld millions in airport fees and is heading to court. PER airport in turn has turned off the escalators in the QF terminal -- really petty stuff. Essence of dispute is that several hundred million was spent to rebuild the international terminal on the other side of the airport, making it quite nice but not big enough to hold QF during the transition, so Virgin domestic moved into the international terminal and benefits from the nice facilities. Meanwhile the old domestic terminal was "upgraded" for $14m to build the international wing used by QF, as part of the inducement to start PER-LHR service. Now PER airport is refusing to spend any further money on the old domestic terminal, with their plan to have QF pay through the nose to move to the international terminal and cover all costs for the expansion. Not a dispute likely to settle soon (been going on for several years already). Unlike SYD and MEL airports which make hundreds of millions from parking fees, PER airport cannot under the terms of its privatization in 1997, so it charges QF higher fees than other airports, hence fueling the dispute with QF.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 2:31 am

Programs: Qantas
I think if sunrise goes ahead expansion out of Perth is at risk. In fact, the continued operation of PER-LHR is at risk (if they are flying SYD-LHR and MEL-LHR direct).

However, if it doesn’t, Qantas will have to go back to the plan of PER being it’s European hub, in which case a feeder flight from AKL would make sense (especially with NZ discontinuing flights to LHR).

I’m tipping it will go ahead though.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 7:26 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by number_6
Unlike SYD and MEL airports which make hundreds of millions from parking fees, PER airport cannot under the terms of its privatization in 1997, so it charges QF higher fees than other airports, hence fueling the dispute with QF.
PER does fine with its parking, both in terms of revenue and profit, especially as its rates are higher than Sydney! And Sydney and Melbourne don’t make hundreds of millions from parking, Sydney made $95M, Melbourne $84M and Perth 32M, with margin at 52% for Perth rising to 69% for Sydney, effectively they are all much of a muchness according to the last ACCC Airport monitoring Report. Given the passenger numbers they are all line ball, not the same for aeronautical charges ROI, with Perth coming in second!
Old Dec 29, 2019, 11:08 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by markis10
.....And Sydney and Melbourne don’t make hundreds of millions from parking, Sydney made $95M, Melbourne $84M ......
Over a decade, I’d think hundreds of millions isn’t far from it.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 11:13 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
PER does fine with its parking, both in terms of revenue and profit, especially as its rates are higher than Sydney! And Sydney and Melbourne don’t make hundreds of millions from parking, Sydney made $95M, Melbourne $84M and Perth 32M, ...
I checked that ACCC report and it is AUD 149m for MEL, with AUD84m as the profit after allocating lots of infrastructure costs to parking including some dubious ones, and cutting fees by 20% from prior year. Total revenue is AUD 440m so parking is a third -- bit shocking for an airport. Wish they would focus on the airplane part a bit more rather than wanting to run a shopping center.

Back to the original topic, which is chance of new QF international services at PER, and that seems to hinge on resolving the ever-escalating conflicts between the airport and QF. I suppose by 2025 QF will be moving to the international/domestic terminal given that they have sold their terminal lease to the airport, so it is just a financial negotiation with both sides playing hardball, at the expense of the PER flying pax.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:40 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by number_6
Total revenue is AUD 440m so parking is a third -- bit shocking for an airport. Wish they would focus on the airplane part a bit more rather than wanting to run a shopping center..

You might want to have a closer look at that report, more false numbers you are spouting! Total airport revenue for Mel was not $440m, and the share of parking revenue as a percentage of total revenue was 15%, not 50%, while Sydney is lowest at 8.9%. Parking is not the money spinner you make it out to be, try being a tenant at any airport in retail.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 3:07 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P

You might want to have a closer look at that report, more false numbers you are spouting! Total airport revenue for Mel was not $440m, and the share of parking revenue as a percentage of total revenue was 15%, not 50%, while Sydney is lowest at 8.9%. Parking is not the money spinner you make it out to be, try being a tenant at any airport in retail.
SYD and MEL are very happy with each getting approx $50M ( give or take ) from their parking stations every year. That is a huge money spinner in my limited frame of thinking. They’re glad they have an airport that attracts people to their parking stations. Thank the Feds for privatising the airports. Great philosophy that we’re paying for now.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 1:50 pm

Just got back from flying my yearly Xmas/NY trip to PER & AKL.
In the end this year we booked NZ in J. Originally the 787 but due to their issues was swapped to a 777.

Honestly, I would really love QF to bring this flight back, it's annoying that it's never there when we wanted it. This year it was even a little more unfortunate since QF were not flying the red eye from MEL to AKL over that period either. So we couldn't even connect and fly that way to stay on QF. In the old days we used to fly the connection to EK J just for the fun of it, but that all gone too

Oh well, FWIW, the NZ J was fine, after all, for a flight that leaves at 7pm and arrives at 6am and is only a 6 hour flight... all you really want is to sleep.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not only the 7pm flight , but Air New Zealand has on certain days of week, a civilised day time service to Auckland too
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Not only the 7pm flight , but Air New Zealand has on certain days of week, a civilised day time service to Auckland too
Which they sadly canceled due to aircraft for most of the month of December
And they have a new swanky lounge at PER, which is pretty cool. Weird bathroom setup though...
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by nickcirc
Which they sadly canceled due to aircraft for most of the month of December
And they have a new swanky lounge at PER, which is pretty cool. Weird bathroom setup though...
it was operating in late December on certain days of wek and is still operating on most days of the week
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
it was operating in late December on certain days of wek and is still operating on most days of the week
Oh wow? really? I honestly never checked, awesome if it was running!! was genuinely concerned for how many more folks needed to get back to New Zealand after Christmas.

"The airline will also cancel its second daily Auckland-Perth service from 10 December 2019 until 5 January 2020"
Assumed that meant they canceled all off them during that period. I guess it was only the Christchurch ones that were completely canceled?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by nickcirc
Oh wow? really? I honestly never checked, awesome if it was running!! was genuinely concerned for how many more folks needed to get back to New Zealand after Christmas.
I am managing group bookings for travel to Auckland and some of these were travelling from Perth to Auckland on NZ - until fairly close to departure on days close to their travel date , I remember seeing NZ178 in the system

I can believe that it may have been cancelled in that perid, but seems to be operating 3 days a week at the moment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.