Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF95 MEL-LAX cancelled today (Dec 13). Impact on QF96 LAX-MEL?

Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:44 am
Original Poster

As a part of my pre-vacation anxiety today, I was on Flightradar24 looking for the 787 that is supposed to take my wife and I from LAX to MEL on QF96 tonight (13 December). It looks like QF95 (MEL-LAX) is usually the 787 that turns around at LAX and returns to MEL.

That flight (QF95, MEL-LAX, 13 December) was cancelled.

I'm concerned that QF no longer has an airplane at LAX to take us to MEL. FR24 says that there are only 2 Qantas A380s on the ground at LAX, with a 3rd A380 (QF17) arriving in about 2 hours. Is QF12 (a 787 flying from JFK-LAX this evening) actually our plane? It looks like that usually continues on from LAX to BNE.

We are in NYC and will fly AA302 from JFK to LAX this evening with scheduled arrival at LAX at 10pm. Our whole itinerary is booked with AA. I haven't heard anything from them. Qantas, AA, and Expertflyer all say QF96 is "scheduled" and on time. Is there anything I can do now to get ahead of any problems...if we even have any problems?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by fast passenger
As a part of my pre-vacation anxiety today, I was on Flightradar24 looking for the 787 that is supposed to take my wife and I from LAX to MEL on QF96 tonight (13 December). It looks like QF95 (MEL-LAX) is usually the 787 that turns around at LAX and returns to MEL.

That flight (QF95, MEL-LAX, 13 December) was cancelled.

I'm concerned that QF no longer has an airplane at LAX to take us to MEL. FR24 says that there are only 2 Qantas A380s on the ground at LAX, with a 3rd A380 (QF17) arriving in about 2 hours. Is QF12 (a 787 flying from JFK-LAX this evening) actually our plane? It looks like that usually continues on from LAX to BNE.

We are in NYC and will fly AA302 from JFK to LAX this evening with scheduled arrival at LAX at 10pm. Our whole itinerary is booked with AA. I haven't heard anything from them. Qantas, AA, and Expertflyer all say QF96 is "scheduled" and on time. Is there anything I can do now to get ahead of any problems...if we even have any problems?
Tonight's QF16 (LAX-BNE) has been cancelled. I have no particular insight, but perhaps your guess is correct.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for that info! I'm on my way to JFK now. I'll keep this thread updated.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:44 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
QF staff at LAX are quite expert at dealing with these kind of problems at LAX and do a terrific job of getting the maximum number of pax to Oz. Having a pool of planes and flights each day, plus a major maintenance base at LAX, makes for a lot of flexibility unlike some other cities/airlines which have a single plane or service. No reason to worry ahead of time.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Originally Posted by number_6
QF staff at LAX are quite expert at dealing with these kind of problems at LAX and do a terrific job of getting the maximum number of pax to Oz. Having a pool of planes and flights each day, plus a major maintenance base at LAX, makes for a lot of flexibility unlike some other cities/airlines which have a single plane or service. No reason to worry ahead of time.
And add to that on the Australian end plenty of domestic frequencies so even if they have to re-route you via another AU gateway you will get to you destination usually within 6-8 hours (or less) of your original schedule.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Hello from Melbourne! The flight was delayed an hour due to LAX ATC, but after taking off it was a super comfortable ride in biz. Thanks for all of your replies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.