FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   [Project] Sunrise aircraft may be 77Ls ? [Confirmed: A350] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1997113-project-sunrise-aircraft-may-77ls-confirmed-a350.html)

og Nov 26, 2019 4:54 pm

[Project] Sunrise aircraft may be 77Ls ? [Confirmed: A350]

So there’s a rumour that QF may go for the 77L as an “interim” Sunrise aircraft. Isn’t this a step back to 20 yr old technology with a few tweeks to make it sound (eg wing tips, fuel tanks and seat blocking) ? If true, then I hope the Spin Department don’t blast us with “game changing” breaking news about this potential acquisition. Isn’t this just another example of “catch up” with the competitors ?

SQTraveller Nov 26, 2019 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by og (Post 31780354)
So there’s a rumour that QF may go for the 77L as an “interim” Sunrise aircraft. Isn’t this a step back to 20 yr old technology with a few tweeks to make it sound (eg wing tips, fuel tanks and seat blocking) ? If true, then I hope the Spin Department don’t blast us with “game changing” breaking news about this potential acquisition. Isn’t this just another example of “catch up” with the competitors ?

Generally I agree with your comments about going backwards in terms of technology. I would assume it's because of the costs involved. The 777 200 LR is an old plane so the development costs have (probably) already been paid off so I would imagine any on going revenue are essentially profits (speculation)
It is more than likely Boeing want to sell one of the new 777Xs for the real sunrise but because of the various delays can't get a plane to Qantas within their desired timeframe. This would then mean Airbus would be the default winner. So Boeing get around it by offering a very low cost 777-200LR to satisfy the economics of the route, with options to buy the 777Xs, when they become available
Again pure speculation on my part

Mwenenzi Nov 26, 2019 7:11 pm

Putting a new aircraft type into a fleet has many behind the scenes costs: training, crewing, spares, engine type, engineering support, maintenance, flight system (onboard IT), flight documentation/approvals and more.

nancypants Nov 26, 2019 7:25 pm

I honestly don’t think sunrise is going to happen. It’ll be dressed up as whatever by the PR machine but I don’t think the commercial side stacks up

number_6 Nov 27, 2019 3:03 pm

Joyce seems to be using sunrise primarily as a stalking horse to get concessions from the pilots on crew hours and rotation, as well as getting some world-wide publicity for QF. The commercial side definitely stacks up, but as a premium-only service (probably J/PE seating). There is an astonishing volume of commuter travel between SYD-LON and SYD-JFK where the extra airfare surcharge vs. saving a few hours (which often means saving a day) is willingly paid. Just the job applicants for Westpac will keep it full for a few weeks :)

nancypants Nov 27, 2019 3:13 pm

Indeed. I think Joyce is planning to step down after the 100th birthday, so I suppose there’s also a chance he’ll push something through cos legacy and leave the successor to deal with the fall out

bensyd Nov 28, 2019 7:17 pm

Twenty plus hours on a 777 would be awful. Take some grapes, you'll have sultanas by the time you get to LHR/JFK.

og Nov 28, 2019 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd (Post 31786514)
Twenty plus hours on a 777 would be awful. Take some grapes, you'll have sultanas by the time you get to LHR/JFK.

...and deaf

Cedar Jet Nov 29, 2019 3:50 am

I wouldn't be caught dead on any iteration of the most horrible long haul aircraft out there, the 777. I will chose different dates and times to avoid wasting money on a poor experience travelling on a 777. Value for my money = A380 and A350. Even the 787 is only just passable WITH the Genex engines as they are a little quieter than the RR dud engines.

og Dec 12, 2019 4:06 pm

Looks like the 350 is the QF preferred aircraft - according to QF today. Those rumours about the 77L were just, rumours. Personally, I think the 350 will be a far less unpleasant ULH than the 777.

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/

nancypants Dec 12, 2019 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by og (Post 31834159)
Looks like the 350 is the QF preferred aircraft - according to QF today. Those rumours about the 77L were just, rumours. Personally, I think the 350 will be a far less unpleasant ULH than the 777.

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/

you’ll notice they’ve also pushed the decision date back from “before Christmas” to “March 2020”

good to get some qantas group news out to distract from the jetstar strike

USA_flyer Dec 13, 2019 4:56 am

BBC is reporting QANTAS has picked Airbus A350-1000 for their ULH aircraft fleet.

No decision on LHR-SYD though.

og Dec 13, 2019 5:36 am

Originally Posted by USA_flyer (Post 31835552)
BBC is reporting QANTAS has picked Airbus A350-1000 for their ULH aircraft fleet.

No decision on LHR-SYD though.

As per the link to QF above. The decision is only between A or B. A won. But no orders yet. These may not even happen.

Mwenenzi Dec 13, 2019 5:38 am

QF media release

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/me...oject-sunrise/

QANTAS UPDATE ON PROJECT SUNRISE
Published on 13th December 2019 at 9:11
  • Airbus A350 selected as preferred aircraft (no order placed)
  • Deadline for confirming delivery slots extended by one month
  • Regulatory support for ultra long haul routes, pending formal application
  • Discussions with pilots ongoing

Qantas is today announcing several important developments for Project Sunrise ahead of a final go/no go decision, which will now take place in March 2020.
<snip>

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...roject-sunrise

Qantas will create a fleet of up to 12 Airbus A350-1000 jets under its ambitious Project Sunrise, which intends to begin non-stop flights from Sydney and Melbourne to the likes of London and New York in the first half of 2023.

However, no firm order will be placed until Qantas clears the final hurdles of regulatory approval by the Australia's Civil Aviation Safety Authority and negotiations with Qantas pilots. Qantas says "a final go/no go decision" will be made in March 2020.

“Between the research flights and what we’ve learned from two years of flying Perth to London, we have a lot of confidence in the market for direct services like New York and London to the east coast of Australia," said Qantas Group CEO Alan Joyce.
<snip>

Efrem Dec 14, 2019 11:43 am

CNN's take on the decision to pick Airbus here:

Qantas picks Airbus over Boeing to carry out the world's longest flights

Information is basically the same as everywhere else.