Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

[Project] Sunrise aircraft may be 77Ls ? [Confirmed: A350]

[Project] Sunrise aircraft may be 77Ls ? [Confirmed: A350]

Old May 2, 2022, 1:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
9 across on an A350 is 18” wide, same as A380. From personal experience with QR, very comfortable.
Old May 2, 2022, 5:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Talking about aircraft is all fun and all, but from what I can see, this project is DOA as long as there is a war between Russia and Ukraine and sanctions against Russia generally. Overflight operations do not exist at this point....
Old May 2, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by RWPS
One thing I do really hope is that Qantas ensures the Airtbus A350-1000's provide a significantly better economy seating arrangement than the 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft.
I've been unfortunate enough to have requested my usual of an economy aisle seat on one of their earlier MEL - PER runs. And as a long time platinum member they gave me the 'best' seating they could.
And that was the worst economy seat I have ever flown on - domestically or internationally. The aisle was so narrow that every person and every trolley that came down knocked my shoulder. I felt for the crew, as it was genuinely awkward for them.
Aisle width in economy is an issue with the 787 Dreamliner LHR-PER for sure.
I always choose aisle, anyway.
When I did it , I had an exit row (I'm not platinum but they'd made a booking mistake so "upgraded" me at check in) LHR-PER, so it wasn't so bad with the extra manoeuvring space in front, but on return, PER-LHR, I had a seat opposite the toilet door - which I normally don't mind, needing frequent toilet access due to medical issues - but the door was hitting my elbow in my seat when it opened.
Old May 2, 2022, 4:12 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i would reserve my comment about viability of 20hr flight in economy until i see their product offerings. When Sq did their original EWR or JFK early in the days they had modified their economy to what we see now a days asY+.. i think their current offering is also J+Y+

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/sin...gapore-newark/

QF already stated 4 class so i am unsure what their Y looks like but they need to significantly improve Y on this sunrise flights to be attractive. i am even thinking Y+ may have more Y seats to optimize yield and weight load.
og likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
I would love to be on the inaugural non stop flight to Sydney. Business or first.

Qantas should open up some sort of waiting list.
HFHFFlyer likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by fakecd
i would reserve my comment about viability of 20hr flight in economy until i see their product offerings. When Sq did their original EWR or JFK early in the days they had modified their economy to what we see now a days asY+.. i think their current offering is also J+Y+

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/sin...gapore-newark/

QF already stated 4 class so i am unsure what their Y looks like but they need to significantly improve Y on this sunrise flights to be attractive. i am even thinking Y+ may have more Y seats to optimize yield and weight load.
Singapore is currently flying Business and Premium Economy on ultra-long-haul - not Y+. The pitch on Singapore's Premium Economy on those A359s is 38", and from what I could find Qantas' economy seat is 33 inches. That's going to be a really rough flight IMO, even with frequent stretching. (Qantas does have Premium Economy at 40", which is nice.)
Old May 3, 2022, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
They could flying SYD-JFK nonstop. The range is almost 10,000 miles for that! Who gonna fly?

And for SYD-LHR, they could flying more than 10,500 miles for that! Who gonna fly? Kid, you? It is longest flight.

I think QF should considering PER-LAX nonstop on an A350-1000ULR aircraft. They have more than 9,400 miles.
Old May 3, 2022, 8:30 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
(Deleted)

Last edited by og; May 3, 2022 at 9:07 pm
Old May 4, 2022, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Talking about aircraft is all fun and all, but from what I can see, this project is DOA as long as there is a war between Russia and Ukraine and sanctions against Russia generally. Overflight operations do not exist at this point....
Russia is not between JFK and SYD.
LHR-SYD eastbound should still be doable avoiding Russia.
Westbound will be more of a challenge.
Old May 4, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by tracon
LHR-SYD eastbound should still be doable avoiding Russia.
Westbound will be more of a challenge.
Its not but the routings from JFK/EWR to SIN always flew east to take advantage of the jetstream and prevailing winds (flying west to east). Even though the great circle distance west meant less distance when flying EWR-SIN, because of the general winds, EWR-SIN always was a departure that went over the pole or flew east - typically over Russia.
Old May 4, 2022, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by tracon
That is correct. They go over the Pacific Ocean, not go to Russian airspace. This is for SYD-JFK, not LHR. Once they are reach United States airspace. They won’t have any problems with it.
Old May 5, 2022, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by spamboymeister
Singapore is currently flying Business and Premium Economy on ultra-long-haul - not Y+. The pitch on Singapore's Premium Economy on those A359s is 38", and from what I could find Qantas' economy seat is 33 inches. That's going to be a really rough flight IMO, even with frequent stretching. (Qantas does have Premium Economy at 40", which is nice.)
A bit confused at this statement... doesn't Y+ denote premium economy?
Old May 5, 2022, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
A bit confused at this statement... doesn't Y+ denote premium economy?
Generally no.

Y+ is just economy seat with extra leg. USA airlines have different jargon for this. QF does not advertise/sell Y+, but will sell an extra legroom seat (subtle difference)

PE is a class between economy & business. Not all airlines/aircraft have PE. In wide body aircraft usually have 1 less seat across. On QF B787 PE is 2-4-2 and economy is 3-3-3, . The PE services (meals, etc) can be better than economy with some airlines
Old May 5, 2022, 9:50 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Generally no.

Y+ is just economy seat with extra leg. USA airlines have different jargon for this. QF does not advertise/sell Y+, but will sell an extra legroom seat (subtle difference)

PE is a class between economy & business. Not all airlines/aircraft have PE. In wide body aircraft usually have 1 less seat across. On QF B787 PE is 2-4-2 and economy is 3-3-3, . The PE services (meals, etc) can be better than economy with some airlines
everything you said and also noting that PE can be substantially more expensive on QF than Y whereas Y+ is a more modest increase over Y.
Old May 6, 2022, 4:36 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by og
everything you said and also noting that PE can be substantially more expensive on QF than Y whereas Y+ is a more modest increase over Y.
I thought I'd read/heard somewhere that there would be a premium of £300 or $300 over the "standard" Y fare Oz/UK. Not sure if that meant a discounted Y fare or a full fare Y ticket.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.