Wiki Posts
Search

QF Domestic checked bags

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
QF Domestic checked bags

HI All...I have searched but could not find the answer so if any of you nice peeps can help me?

Travelling to Australia with BA/QF/CX on one PNR in November, I have booked QF Domestic flights separately (MEL-SYD then SYD-ABX). I am taking one standard sized large suitcase and 1 rucksack for carry on. My checked bag weight will be under 23kg. I have seen that the QF Domestic bags max size is 140cm (55in). My bag is Height: 81cm, Width: 54cm, Depth: 32cm which is 167cm. A medium suitcase is not big enough for 2 weeks in Australia so I need to take a large, I have looked online and there no mention of oversize fee just refers to overweight or additional bags, spent hours in phone queues to Qantas each time giving up after more than an hour waiting and no reply on their facebook message. Getting really frustrated as the suitcase is not deemed oversize or excessive in Europe or any other airline that I have flown with. Can anyone advise if the bag will be accepted in the hold without drama?
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
If Qantas' own web site gives a limit of 140 cm, no-one is going to advise you that the bag *will* (as in 100%) be accepted without drama. QF generally don't complain about something a bit oversize (I've never had a problem and do it routinely). That said, your bag not only exceeds the domestic size limit but also exceeds the international size limit.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: QF WP
When I moved to Australia for a year I brought a carry on sized backpack with 8kg so you absolutely can do 2 weeks with less baggage. It’s just suboptimal

that said...most of my work travel last year used a large rolly bag designed for transporting scuba diving gear. I had absolutely no problems checking it in, including on dash services (which is what you’ll get to Albury), until one day at I think Melbourne the self service check in just would not accept it. I was told to take it to oversize check in and it was accepted no dramas, and no fee payable. I haven’t travelled with it since as my work pattern has changed so I don’t have to lug as much equipment with me every time

I was QFF gold at the time (OWS), that may or may not have helped with acceptance

enjoy Albury, it’s beautiful even if my MiL does live there 😉

eta: bag referenced above dimensions L 98 cm x H 39 cm x W 40cm =177cm
Old Oct 31, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by macladd
HI All...I have searched but could not find the answer so if any of you nice peeps can help me?

Travelling to Australia with BA/QF/CX on one PNR in November, I have booked QF Domestic flights separately (MEL-SYD then SYD-ABX). I am taking one standard sized large suitcase and 1 rucksack for carry on. My checked bag weight will be under 23kg. I have seen that the QF Domestic bags max size is 140cm (55in). My bag is Height: 81cm, Width: 54cm, Depth: 32cm which is 167cm. A medium suitcase is not big enough for 2 weeks in Australia so I need to take a large, I have looked online and there no mention of oversize fee just refers to overweight or additional bags, spent hours in phone queues to Qantas each time giving up after more than an hour waiting and no reply on their facebook message. Getting really frustrated as the suitcase is not deemed oversize or excessive in Europe or any other airline that I have flown with. Can anyone advise if the bag will be accepted in the hold without drama?
I own an Antler Juno 2 large, which is 168cm. I’ve used it on countless trips on Qantas, both domestic and international. I’ve never had an issue - including dash 8 flights. I’ve also flown it on many other airlines like AA and BA and also had no issues.

All the major suitcase brands make bags around that size and there’s just no way they’d do that if airlines didn’t accept it.

In fact, you can buy the Juno 2 from the Qantas website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.