Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Fly US to Malaysia using Qantas points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

I'm trying to go west coast USA to KUL end of March/early April. I can do LAX-HKG-KUL for 85k+fuel (tbd since I haven't transferred miles yet but I think about $400.) But with the transfer bonus from Capital One to Qantas I'm wondering if there's a way to use Qantas points. I haven't had any luck with their website though, maybe this is a route I have to call about? If so, is it worth calling?

A few weeks later I want to go to Hawaii from KUL or SIN or BKK.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am not sure how you are getting 85k points when redeeming with Qantas

For that distance, it would seem to be 61.5k economy, 109k premium economy, 132,200 business and 199,300 1st class one way - plus taxes and fares disguised as taxes

Given that it is award availabiltiy requirements, shouldn't make any difference whether you use Qantas or another scheme

It looks like Capital One can transfer to AA and the redemption cost there would be 37.5k economy, 70k business , 110k 1st

even with the 33% bonus to QF, the redemption rates would be worse - plus of course, there would be no surcharges
Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I am not sure how you are getting 85k points when redeeming with Qantas

For that distance, it would seem to be 61.5k economy, 109k premium economy, 132,200 business and 199,300 1st class one way - plus taxes and fares disguised as taxes

Given that it is award availabiltiy requirements, shouldn't make any difference whether you use Qantas or another scheme
To clarify, the 85k is on Cathay with AsiaMiles for business class. I think this might be related to the HKG sale which people theorize is due to the unrest in HKG.

Singapore is also showing availability at 95000 plus $20.

If you are saying it would be 132k on Qantas then I don't have to look at Qantas any further.

What does your last sentence mean? I don't understand.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:27 pm

It would be 132k using QF miles

The last sentence is that if you were to redeem using AA miles, there would be no surcharges to pay - also the number os points is so much lower that the bonus 33% doesn't even make it worth considering

If you can exchange to AA or to Asia Miles , then I would phone and check availability with AA, since 70k AA miles is lower than 85k Asia Miles if transfer rates are the same
Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Nothing comes up under AA so does that mean it's not available? Is that a good way to search for Qantas "saver" flights? Or do you have to call to find that out?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by qofmiwok
Thanks. Nothing comes up under AA so does that mean it's not available? Is that a good way to search for Qantas "saver" flights? Or do you have to call to find that out?
If the flights look like they are available from another award search, then phone AA and check. it may be available but not bookable online
Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qofmiwok
For AA awards look in the AA forum
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html
<snip>
Expert Advice:
Only "MileSAAver" awards apply to oneworld and AA partners.
Premium Economy seats are not available with AAdvantage awards, may be soon as AA sells Premium Economy Feb 2017.

Awards on Cathay Pacific and subsidiary KA / DragonAir may be booked through AA.

aa.com does not reveal CX awards; you must call AA (1-800-882-8880) to book a CX award (though you may find BA, JL or QF websites may reflect CX award availability). As CX/KA awards can not be booked online on aa.com, you must call (no fee).

Be aware that what you see on the BA, JL, or QF sites may not be visible to the AA reservations folks. You may want to note the flight on which the F award seat is shown as "available" on those sites and if the AA agent doesn't see any availability suggest that the AA agent check that specific one again. If the AA agent still cannot see it, thank them, hang up, and call back a little later.
<snip>
AA award married segment rules/restrictions may be in play
Old Oct 28, 2019, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
AA award married segment rules/restrictions may be in play
Married segment availability for CX will be down to CX - AA controls its inventory , not CX's

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.