FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   LATAM leaving OW (date TBC)- what does this mean for QFF (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1989009-latam-leaving-ow-date-tbc-what-does-mean-qff.html)

nancypants Sep 26, 2019 9:29 pm

LATAM leaving OW (date TBC)- what does this mean for QFF

Figured we should have a thread here cos why not

i’m currently simultaneously planning a big South American trip and also thinking it might not have too much of an impact because of the QF/LA joint venture- but I suppose the actual routes codeshared are not that extensive

any thoughts?

Dave Noble Sep 26, 2019 10:22 pm

This seems to be something for the OneWorld forum for which there is a thread already https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onew...a-exit-ow.html

It doesn't need to mean anything to Qantas

og Sep 26, 2019 10:57 pm

So long as there are QF codes on LA flights then it seems relevant to include it here.

Dave Noble Sep 26, 2019 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by og (Post 31568555)
So long as there are QF codes on LA flights then it seems relevant to include it here.

At the moment there is nothing at all regarding any change to it - this is a OneWorld related or LATAM related situation - at the moment there is nothing announced or suggested that there is going to be a change

lokijuh Sep 26, 2019 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 31568372)
Figured we should have a thread here cos why not

i’m currently simultaneously planning a big South American trip and also thinking it might not have too much of an impact because of the QF/LA joint venture- but I suppose the actual routes codeshared are not that extensive

any thoughts?

In the short term, no impact. These arrangements take a while to work through. Even once LA has left oneworld, there's a distinct possibility that they will continue to co-operate or even expand the cooperation to be like the arrangements QF has with MU, both carriers have good commercial reasons to co-operate with each other. One relevant point - I assume if they don't sort out more extensive co-operation, the day that LA leaves oneworld will also be the day QFF elites travelling economy on LA metal will stop being granted access to LA lounges.

The only wildcard is should DL see fit to take an equity stake in VA (not sure if that is likely, but it has been mentioned), then it's possible we could see a shift in LA's allegiances on the eastern side of the pacific..

nancypants Sep 27, 2019 2:24 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh (Post 31568612)
In the short term, no impact. These arrangements take a while to work through. Even once LA has left oneworld, there's a distinct possibility that they will continue to co-operate or even expand the cooperation to be like the arrangements QF has with MU, both carriers have good commercial reasons to co-operate with each other. One relevant point - I assume if they don't sort out more extensive co-operation, the day that LA leaves oneworld will also be the day QFF elites travelling economy on LA metal will stop being granted access to LA lounges.

The only wildcard is should DL see fit to take an equity stake in VA (not sure if that is likely, but it has been mentioned), then it's possible we could see a shift in LA's allegiances on the eastern side of the pacific..

The VA angle is quite interesting, probably the most interesting part in this particular context

lokijuh Sep 27, 2019 6:00 am

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 31568909)
The VA angle is quite interesting, probably the most interesting part in this particular context

Although that bit is just hearsay! But you never know one of it's various owners could be looking to offload their stake,

Globaliser Sep 27, 2019 6:27 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh (Post 31568612)
One relevant point - I assume if they don't sort out more extensive co-operation, the day that LA leaves oneworld will also be the day QFF elites travelling economy on LA metal will stop being granted access to LA lounges.

And I am also wondering whether one ultimate result is that I will have been forever stymied in my attempts to fly QF321 SYD-AKL. I've been trying and failing ...

nancypants Sep 27, 2019 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 31569353)
And I am also wondering whether one ultimate result is that I will have been forever stymied in my attempts to fly QF321 SYD-AKL. I've been trying and failing ...

Back in the “good old days” that (well, LA800/801) was my most frequent route

AustralianPoochie Sep 27, 2019 7:28 am

Thanks for the tip.

DownUnderFlyer Sep 27, 2019 12:48 pm

[mod hat] This thread is in its right place as long as it focuses on the specifics of QFF in particular not just general oneworld chatter. So I will leave it here and open for the time being [/mod hat]

number_6 Sep 29, 2019 2:53 am

QF used to partner with the other AA -- Aerolineas Argentinas. That ended with Oneworld, and a few years ago DL got AA to join Skyteam. Looks like they are trying to make South America a Skyteam continent, to balance Onceworld having Australia :) Personally I would be amazed if LA codeshares with QF, though there are a lot of Chileans living in Oz (legacy of the coup in Chile 30 years ago). Given the visa situation, not sure if QF will have the traffic and cargo to keep services profitable to either SCL or EZE. .

nancypants Sep 29, 2019 3:09 am

Originally Posted by number_6 (Post 31574960)
QF used to partner with the other AA -- Aerolineas Argentinas. That ended with Oneworld, and a few years ago DL got AA to join Skyteam. Looks like they are trying to make South America a Skyteam continent, to balance Onceworld having Australia :) Personally I would be amazed if LA codeshares with QF, though there are a lot of Chileans living in Oz (legacy of the coup in Chile 30 years ago). Given the visa situation, not sure if QF will have the traffic and cargo to keep services profitable to either SCL or EZE. .

My understanding is QF and NZ both operated their South American flights to EZE, NZ withdrawing entirely when the argentine economy went off the boil and QF a combination of that and the LAN partnership

og Sep 29, 2019 8:31 am

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 31574990)
My understanding is QF and NZ both operated their South American flights to EZE....

QF certainly did operate to EZE and its flights also carried the AR code.

CPMaverick Sep 29, 2019 7:45 pm

All appearances are that the QF/LA relationship is good. I would expect them to continue to work together, they are better off in a cozy duopoly than competing with each other. And their networks, besides AU-SCL, are completely separate.

Even if DL bought a stake in VA, which is speculation at best at the moment, it wouldn't mean LATAM would need to jump ship to VA. DL wouldn't have a controlling stake in either airline, so they'd have limited influence. VA can't (or is at least very unlikely to) replace what QF does for them - flights to SCL that they can revenue-share.