Unable to reserve seat on Qantas flight

Old Sep 20, 19, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Unable to reserve seat on Qantas flight

Hello all

My wife and I are travelling to South America for a few weeks in November 19. The booking is through an online tour agent who specifically advise they do not do seat reservations. That's OK.

The flights to and from S.A. are on a Latam Group ticket. The actual flight home from Santiago to Sydney is on a Qantas plane, co-shared with Latam [LA 0807].
I have successfully requested and reserved seats on all flights, but cannot on the Santiago>Syd leg. On the Latam website that flight does not show up at all. On the Qantas "Manage Bookings" site, I get a message that seat reservations are not available.The plane is a 747.

I have called Latam and been told to call Qantas as it is their plane. I have called Qantas and been told to call Latam as it is their ticket..Our agent told us to contact the airline/s.

Can someone please offer some guidance or assistance. We have never before been unable to select a seat, which is a very important factor to us.

Many thanks
Old Sep 20, 19, 1:15 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Davo21 View Post
Hello all

My wife and I are travelling to South America for a few weeks in November 19. The booking is through an online tour agent who specifically advise they do not do seat reservations. That's OK.

The flights to and from S.A. are on a Latam Group ticket. The actual flight home from Santiago to Sydney is on a Qantas plane, co-shared with Latam [LA 0807].
I have successfully requested and reserved seats on all flights, but cannot on the Santiago>Syd leg. On the Latam website that flight does not show up at all. On the Qantas "Manage Bookings" site, I get a message that seat reservations are not available.The plane is a 747.

I have called Latam and been told to call Qantas as it is their plane. I have called Qantas and been told to call Latam as it is their ticket..Our agent told us to contact the airline/s.

Can someone please offer some guidance or assistance. We have never before been unable to select a seat, which is a very important factor to us.

Many thanks
I had this problem last week on codeshare flights operated by QF. I contacted QF via their SMS number and asked them to assign the seat, providing the native QF flight number and QF record locator. It worked both times without a problem.
Old Sep 20, 19, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this the only Qantas flight ? Being on a group booking could be impacting any ability to select seats online

For LA807, the seat map is shared between Qantas and LATAM - it may well be that the LA807 seats have all been selected
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Sep 20, 19 at 1:54 am
Old Sep 20, 19, 1:51 am

Programs: QF WP
Also I think the LATAM codeshare only gets allocated a relatively small block of seats, once they’re gone (as in the pre allocation allowance is taken, bearing in mind status etc), that’s it until T-80 or even OLCI

happy to be corrected if incorrect
Old Sep 20, 19, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

indeed - it is a flight where a small number of seats are made available for LA with the rest being exclusively QF for seat seletion in advance
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 20, 19, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the helpful replies.

A few further questions:
- nancypants suggests Latam only are allocated a small block of seats. That seems to be the case, as I can only view a block of about 50 seats on the seating guide.
Given this is a Latam ticket, and the issue is on a Qantas plane on the return leg, when does the T-80 run from - 80 hours before the actual return flight on LA807 or 80 hours before departure on the outbound journey when we start our trip?

- also, will the seat allocations be opened at T-80 on the Qantas or Latam websites? [I am assuming Qantas as Latam have told us they cannot select seats on plane soperated by other airlines and the fact the flight does not even appear in the online booking]

Many thanks
Old Sep 20, 19, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
"T-80" refers to 80 hours before the scheduled departure time of each flight.

That is 3 days and 8 hours.
Old Sep 21, 19, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

T-80 stuff will not be applicable here - that relates to available seats being blocked from selection - it will not increase the number of seats made available for advance selection for those travelling on the LA flight ( that is assuming that LA even blocks seats )
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 21, 19, 12:56 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
T-80 stuff will not be applicable here - that relates to available seats being blocked from selection - it will not increase the number of seats made available for advance selection for those travelling on the LA flight ( that is assuming that LA even blocks seats )
I only mentioned it as I was wondering if “blocked from acces by LA coded pax” might cease to be a thing at T-80 but probably a pipe dream. If it was my ticket i’d still give it a crack
Old Sep 21, 19, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nancypants View Post
I only mentioned it as I was wondering if “blocked from acces by LA coded pax” might cease to be a thing at T-80 but probably a pipe dream. If it was my ticket i’d still give it a crack
I checked the seat map for a flight < 36 hours before departure and it still only had the small number of seats on offer
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 22, 19, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. Sounds like a trap for young players .... and for those who travel on a group booking with LA on a Qantas flight.

Before our homeward journey from Santiago, I will diarise to see if seat reservations can be made online 80 hours before departure, then regularly after that to see if the window opens. I understand Latam group checkin opens 48 hours and Qantas 24 hours before, so, hopefully, that will work.

By the way, our homeward journey commences with Latam in Cuzco>Santiago, a few hours to change planes then back to Sydney on LA 0807. Will we be able to check luggage straight through from Cuzco, and will check in be timed back from Cuzco or Santiago flight for the 747 trip?

Thanks for the replies.
Old Sep 22, 19, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are travelling on a group booking on Qantas , seat selection is not offered anyway - being on a codeshare may actually increase your chance
Old Sep 22, 19, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Dave Noble.

If we keep checking in the meantime would you recommend we keep calling Latam or Qantas office to try our luck?

Last edited by Davo21; Sep 22, 19 at 10:39 pm

Search this Thread