Early check-in

Old Sep 19, 19, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Early check-in

I know MEL is not like SYD where you can basically check-in any time for your QFInt flight but of course you can do on-line check-in way before the three hours.

If you have done on-line check-in can you get a printed boarding pass before the three hour opening if you only have carry-on? I'm thinking particularly from the First Check-in area.
Old Sep 19, 19, 11:39 am
R2

Originally Posted by VH-RMD View Post
I know MEL is not like SYD where you can basically check-in any time for your QFInt flight but of course you can do on-line check-in way before the three hours.
Is this really so? Quite surprising for a home airport a major carrier.

I will be arriving 5:30am and my next international flight is 11:30am. Both flights on QF. Do I really need wait till 8:30 before I can check-in get back airside to the lounge? I can not check through luggage so airside connection is not possible.
Old Sep 19, 19, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you have checked in online, you would be able to print the boarding pass at home
Old Sep 19, 19, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

off post 1 topic

Originally Posted by R2 View Post
I will be arriving 5:30am and my next international flight is 11:30am. Both flights on QF. Do I really need wait till 8:30 before I can check-in get back airside to the lounge? I can not check through luggage so airside connection is not possible.
Why?
QF will check through luggage on separate QF to QF reservations. If both flights on 1 reservation even less of an issue.
QF web site :---> https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...hrough-checked

QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 19, 19, 5:23 pm

Programs: Qantas FF & Qatar Privilege Club
Is this really so? Quite surprising for a home airport a major carrier.
This is a Melbourne Airport limitation rather than Qantas. They don't have the facilities for offering early baggage check-in beyond the standard 3 hours.

I will be arriving 5:30am and my next international flight is 11:30am. Both flights on QF.
Having a transit more than 3 hrs is okay though, so you should really look into getting your baggage tagged to the final destination while checking in for your first flight, as it means you can proceed straight through immigration and to the lounge.

Qantas can through-check luggage between two separate tickets, especially when it's their own flights.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 19, 19, 10:56 pm
R2

Thank you for your replies. I should have been clearer in the first place.

This is part of a RTW where I 'had to' include Australia but don't have the time to stay overnight. I'm doing a direct turnaround; flying SIN-MEL-SIN-HKG hence can not check thru luggage.

Any nice coffee shops / bars landside?

Last edited by R2; Sep 19, 19 at 11:19 pm Reason: clarity
Old Sep 20, 19, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
If you have checked in online, you would be able to print the boarding pass at home
That assumes you are at home, not a visitor camping out in the bush...

Anybody KNOW the answer to the question?
Old Sep 20, 19, 4:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That assumes you are at home, not a visitor camping out in the bush...

Anybody KNOW the answer to the question?
No - but I will also ownership of a mobile phone and could use the application to check in and store boarding pass there

My recollection of trying to get a boarding pass is that it requires that the flight be open for checkin at the airport for a staff member to issue a boarding pass
Old Sep 20, 19, 5:21 am

Programs: QF WP, VA

This is part of a RTW where I 'had to' include Australia but don't have the time to stay overnight. I'm doing a direct turnaround; flying SIN-MEL-SIN-HKG hence can not check thru luggage.

I was thinking about this the other day - where to go before check in opens with checked baggage.
I've gone past Gloria Jean's on T1 QF Domestic Ground floor where the baggage claim are (Landside) - its seems quieter and therefore perhaps more tolerant to those with large bags.
Otherwise there a few cafes etc.. on the departure levels but might be a tad busy in the morning..

It's a pity you can't stay, because MEL airport is not that great as your only Australian exposure..
Old Sep 21, 19, 1:06 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
If you have done on-line check-in can you get a printed boarding pass before the three hour opening if you only have carry-on? I'm thinking particularly from the First Check-in area.
I do know that the Qantas first class check-in area in MEL T2 has the same restrictions re check-in with luggage. I've had to wait there a few times. It's three hours for all flights with the exception being four hours for A380 operated flights, apparently.

For carry-on only, I have my doubts if they can print a BP if the flight isn't open for check-in?
Old Sep 21, 19, 2:08 am

There are decent coffee shops landside as well as the usual suspects junk ( not sure about 0530 though); but the best of them is airside: Brunetti , a Melbourne institution, and one of the key players in the development of Melbourne’s cafe/coffee culture. They are famous for cannoli and other delicious things.
og likes this.
Old Sep 21, 19, 5:22 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Austman View Post
I do know that the Qantas first class check-in area in MEL T2 has the same restrictions re check-in with luggage. I've had to wait there a few times. It's three hours for all flights with the exception being four hours for A380 operated flights, apparently
Agreed, though the F checkin has several times accepted my luggage for manual processing prior to the computer enforced checkin open time.....I think they hold it and the agent processes it later. Probably something they only do under exceptional circumstances or high enough FF status (WP/OWE is definitely not enough). FWIW, MEL is not alone in these time of baggage acceptance restrictions, there are at least a dozen airports that also do this -- very annoying for FT mileage runs that happen to include baggage

The other choice for killing time at MEL is to go across to the ParkRoyal hotel connected to the terminal and get a day pass to their gym (this was possible when it was a Hilton, not sure now).
Old Sep 22, 19, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Austman View Post
...<br>
For carry-on only, I have my doubts if they can print a BP if the flight isn't open for check-in?
My OLCI BP's on paper have worked fine.<br><br>
Only issue is when you cannot OLCI - e.g. When in Exit row seat, traveling to the USA, some other seemingly random factor.

Last edited by serfty; Sep 22, 19 at 5:19 am
Old Sep 23, 19, 5:19 am

Programs: QFF
We have previously been directed to use the Domestic Business lounge until check in opened 3 hours prior.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: