Qantas WiFi

Old Aug 31, 2019, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Qantas WiFi

Can anyone advise how to check if an aircraft is equipped with WiFi? I am looking into SYD-PER route, need to select a flight where i can do my work thanks to internet available.

I am a bit confused with information about its availability on domestic A330, also not sure if SYD-PER is served by domestic or international planes.

Overall surprised there is no QF WiFi thread, or did I miss anything obvious?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:36 pm

Programs: QF WP
Far in advance its difficult to say, they will advise on the flight selection page possibility of wifi only. I seem to get it on about 60% of my 737 trips.

i believe all a330s are international/domestic but the range of the satellites providing wifi is limited to within the domestic service area. Happy to be corrected on all of this though as not my specialty

In short, I dont think you can rely on having access to wifi on qantas domestic
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you need to be assured of internet access, then you have an issue - I also am not aware of any guarantees that can be made as to its availability

I would suggest planning for no wifi internet access and then accept having it as a bonus if it turns out to be available - pick a flight outside of time that you need it for work
nancypants, dddc and davidj1 like this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:58 pm

Two thirds of the B738 and approximately half of the A330 fleets are Wi-Fi equipped and operate selected domestic flights.

Until 100% of the fleet is upgraded with Wi-Fi equipment there is no guarantee that your flight will feature Wi-Fi.

Post-booking, if you have the Qantas app on your phone it will indicate if your flight is Wi-Fi enabled; however do note the operating aircraft can always be swapped out for another at any time prior to departure. The Qantas app will refresh to show the latest status of your aircraft.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by eminere; Aug 31, 2019 at 11:55 pm
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:01 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I have heard several times the cabin announcement that apologises that wifi and internet is not working on this flight today. Whether this means (1) it is on the plane but not functional or (2) its not equipped at all is unknown. Perhaps OP should have low expectations and ready for surprise and delight.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Thank you all! I hope things get more clear in 6 months when i actually plan to travel.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Is anyone able to let us know whether the WiFi works when the plane is over the Great Australian Bight and therefore over water? I had heard that the satellite providing the WiFi didnt allow the WiFi to work offshore (hence the non roll out to international at this stage).

SYD-PER vv usually spends a not insignificant time over the Bight.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 4:35 pm

Believe this is still correct

Old Sep 1, 2019, 6:03 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
So from the map and considering the fine print “illustrative purposes only”, it’d be fair to reckon that about half of SYD-PER should be internet possible and somewhat less for MEL-PER. Coverage over the Bight is probably marginal / patchy / slow / unreliable.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by og
I have heard several times the cabin announcement that apologises that wifi and internet is not working on this flight today. Whether this means (1) it is on the plane but not functional or (2) its not equipped at all is unknown. Perhaps OP should have low expectations and ready for surprise and delight.
On a recent MEL - SYD flight WiFi enabled flight, I couldn't get it to work. Then, during the start of landing, we hear from the Captain pretty much verbatim what you quoted above. Initially, it sounded as if our WiFi issues were an aberration, but perhaps, not. LOL
og likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:13 am

I know its not quite the bight but I spend a lot of time flying over the gulf of carpentaria and the wifi when equipped is always top notch

I tend to believe the map is probably pretty fair on that basis
Old Feb 21, 2020, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keter
Can anyone advise how to check if an aircraft is equipped with WiFi? I am looking into SYD-PER route, need to select a flight where i can do my work thanks to internet available.

I am a bit confused with information about its availability on domestic A330, also not sure if SYD-PER is served by domestic or international planes.

Overall surprised there is no QF WiFi thread, or did I miss anything obvious?
I see on the booking page that many 330 now have WiFi (but not all...), and it is not clear what is the rule of thumb (for sure it is not '332 vs 333').

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.