19 hour test flight

Old Aug 24, 19, 1:59 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
SYD-LHR is also over 1000 miles further than EWR-SIN, not 500. (Based on great circle distances)
And timewise, SYD-LHR will have to travel in a westerly direction (noting that most flights travelling west do take longer than eastbound flights), something EWR-SIN never does (it travels easterly from SIN-EWR and polar or easterly from EWR-SIN).
writerguyfl and nancypants like this.

Last edited by lokijuh; Sep 2, 19 at 9:45 pm
Old Aug 24, 19, 7:16 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
I can't think of many things worse than being cooped up inside an aircraft for 19+ hours, no matter what class of service...
Old Aug 24, 19, 7:29 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. CX Nobody
an employee is seasoned traveller..

a real test should entail, at least:
8mth pregnant woman
family with 2 young children
eldery couple with heart problem and lung problem
physically handicapped
a 250lb person (occupy 1 seat in economy)
someone who just finished open abdomen surgery that just got cleared to fly

if QF can.comfortably "test" them seated.side by side in economy, that will be a real life scenario. not some professional flyer lounging in J seat in an empty cabin
og, lokijuh, walter82 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 9:16 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by fakecd View Post
an employee is seasoned traveller..

a real test should entail, at least:
8mth pregnant woman
family with 2 young children
eldery couple with heart problem and lung problem
physically handicapped
a 250lb person (occupy 1 seat in economy)
someone who just finished open abdomen surgery that just got cleared to fly

if QF can.comfortably "test" them seated.side by side in economy, that will be a real life scenario. not some professional flyer lounging in J seat in an empty cabin
I suspect QF donít give a rats about the comfort of the travelling public on this particular pair of flights - no matter which cabin they are in. I think its more to do with (1) media publicity, and (2) ticking a box so they can use it in crew negotiations. But Iím not an insider so just speculating.
Singapore_Air and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 9:28 pm

Programs: QF gold-> platinum
1) agreed
2) not sure. There was shenanigans with the QF9 route that the flight crew wanted 2 complete crews (so 2 captains and 2 first officers) rather than 1 captain, 1FO and 2SOs, which seems to be what they ended up with. Canít imagine a longer flight they would be able to wangle it any other way. Will see if I can find out. No inside info on the cabin crew iím afraid. Seems a bit pointless even for IR purposes when the aircraft type isnít even the one that will be doing it?
og likes this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

based on the existence of this thread, it seems to have been successful with (1)
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 27, 19, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta, JetBlue, Marriott
Originally Posted by og View Post

I suspect QF donít give a rats about the comfort of the travelling public on this particular pair of flights - no matter which cabin they are in. I think its more to do with (1) media publicity, and (2) ticking a box so they can use it in crew negotiations. But Iím not an insider so just speculating.
#1 - Agreed. UA has the SFO-SIN flight, which runs about 16 - 18 hours depending on the direction. Anything special to the 787 for economy? Nope - economy is still 31 - 32" with 9 across seating. Heck, they couldn't even upgrade meal service from the normal meal - snack - meal pattern, even though the flight time really covers three meals. Hopefully QF will be better than this.
#2 - Mostly agreed. Not sure if negotiations, or just to fulfill contract requirements.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 1, 19, 6:09 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
So, QF are pushing the negotiations to ASAP.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...01-p52ms5.html
Old Sep 10, 19, 1:30 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald. GF Black; Accor Silver; Hyatt Explorist.
At the end of the day I really see this non-stop hype as totally unnecessary. Whats wrong with a stop half way? 20 hours in the air isn't healthy for anyone, crew or pax-even if you are laying flat. Is anyone really that desperate they'd need to get to London or NYC 2-3 hours earlier; is it worth the gruelling non-stop cudos QF seems hell bent to attain?

Give me an Emirates(QF paper) or Qatar A380 in J/F any day to LHR over a QF A380/787 F/J(subpar in every aspect except for F lounge in Syd if you're eligible).
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cedar Jet View Post
At the end of the day I really see this non-stop hype as totally unnecessary. Whats wrong with a stop half way? 20 hours in the air isn't healthy for anyone, crew or pax-even if you are laying flat. Is anyone really that desperate they'd need to get to London or NYC 2-3 hours earlier; is it worth the gruelling non-stop cudos QF seems hell bent to attain?

Give me an Emirates(QF paper) or Qatar A380 in J/F any day to LHR over a QF A380/787 F/J(subpar in every aspect except for F lounge in Syd if you're eligible).
I am sure that there are a lot of people that would like to have a flight where they get on in London and then do not have to get off of the aeroplane until their destination. I know, for example., that my mother doesn't like the connection en route

This would really encourage her to fly Qantas rather than a superior airline and she would pay more for it

Personally I prefer 2 stops en route to/from London and happy to have overnight stops and not have to travel more than 7 or so hours in one go
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 2:59 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
At the end of the day I really see this non-stop hype as totally unnecessary. Whats wrong with a stop half way? 20 hours in the air isn't healthy for anyone, crew or pax-even if you are laying flat. Is anyone really that desperate they'd need to get to London or NYC 2-3 hours earlier; is it worth the gruelling non-stop cudos QF seems hell bent to attain?.
IMHO, the 2-3 hours times saving isn't that important. . The huge selling point of these flights, at least for those travelling in lie flat seats in J or F (having done the old - A340 - incarnation of SIN-EWR-SIN numerous times) is probably going to be the ability to use that 20 hrs in the most appropriate manner for the individual, without the interruption of a transit stop. You don't have a break mid-journey, potentially having just got to sleep, being woken to land and then take off again and try once more try to settle down to sleep again after take off. I felt much better after those flights than say SIN-NRT-JFK or even SIN-HKG-JFK.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 3:20 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald. GF Black; Accor Silver; Hyatt Explorist.
For my money give me a vastly superior aircraft and passenger experience on an A380 over a lesser B787 any day.
og likes this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For my money give me a vastly superior aircraft and passenger experience on an A380 over a lesser B787 any day.
That all depends on how an individual airline has configured the cabin surely - I would take 1st class on WY on a 787 over Qantas 1st class on an A380

As far as the aeroplanes themselves, they are just big flying tubes - the interior quality is not determined by model
lokijuh and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 5:06 am

Sadly mistaken

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
That all depends on how an individual airline has configured the cabin surely - I would take 1st class on WY on a 787 over Qantas 1st class on an A380

As far as the aeroplanes themselves, they are just big flying tubes - the interior quality is not determined by model
The A380 is vastly superior in terms of passenger comfort and experience.
1. It's larger
2. Better humidity
3. Lower cabin altitude pressure setting
4. It's whisper quiet
5. Always a break out area/bar in premium.

I realise the 787 has some of these features but not all. Combined they make long and ultra long haul flying a delight. Also lets be real, no carrier is ever going to give you much room room on a 787. They will be configured for max capacity and revenue. I'm also not defending Qantas A380 in any way let alone a 787 non stop to LHR from PER-Argh! ; For me the ultimate flight is on a Qatar, Singapore or Emirates A380 in J or F. That's flying.
Old Sep 16, 19, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Being larger does not mean better

What matters to me on a commercial flight is what the airline has provided in its offering. I find WY's offerings in 1st (B787)and Business much better than Qantas's , therefore would happily take WY's 787 over Qantas's 380. If it was a QF380 vs a QF787 that would be a different question ( though I wouldn't be wating my money on QF's premium products as a rule )

Whether there is a bar on a 380 depends on what an airline offers - it is not a feature of the aeroplane - classic 747s look like they did a much better bar offering with the lounge

I cant say that I am fussed by the so called humidty / pressure claims
nancypants likes this.

Search this Thread