FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   PER transfer & lounge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1979287-per-transfer-lounge.html)

Guy Betsy Jul 19, 2019 8:35 pm

PER transfer & lounge

I'll be arriving on MH at 1am and my scheduled connection to MEL is at 6am. I have not been to Perth in 20 years! Are the international and domestic terminals separate? If separate, are there transfers that early in the morning.. and lastly is the Qantas lounge even open then?

Thanks

number_6 Jul 19, 2019 8:47 pm

QF international and domestic flights are now in the same terminal at PER but that is the extent of the airport improvements to date. MH will arrive at the old international terminal which is on the other side of the airport from the domestic terminals (effectively 2 separate airports which share runways). I don't know the current transfer situation, but in the past you had to pay for a taxi to go between international and domestic. As for hours, it won't be open at 1am but will open for the morning departures (officially 1 hour before the first QF flight of the day, so maybe 5am?). Not sure if you even have access to the terminal airside, I've run into that in Oz where they empty out the terminal after midnight to discourage sleeping in airports.

Guy Betsy Jul 19, 2019 9:05 pm

Oh crumbs..

In that case, I think I’d rather fly via BNE!

In in my quest to get to MEL, I am finding it difficult and ridiculous in trying to get there between 4-7 Aug from KUL or SIN oneway. I managed to get a oneway back on award but now it may not have seem the logical choice..

On 5/July I can fly SIN - BNE on EK, with a 12 hour layover which I will stay at the Ibis airport hotel, and take QF next morning.. Hopefully it’s a short walk from international to that hotel or should I stay downtown?

Mwenenzi Jul 19, 2019 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 31322587)
I'll be arriving on MH at 1am and my scheduled connection to MEL is at 6am. I have not been to Perth in 20 years!
Are the international and domestic terminals separate?
If separate, are there transfers that early in the morning.. and lastly is the Qantas lounge even open then?

All explained in the QF web site--->Qantas Perth airport guide
Including

Transfer information
A complimentary shuttle bus service is available to Qantas passengers (includes codeshare flight passengers) for transfers between Terminals 3/4 and Terminal 1.

Terminals 3 and 4 are a short walk (150m) within the same building complex
QF web site --> Perth - Domestic Business Lounge

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 31322650)
Oh crumbs..

In in my quest to get to MEL, I am finding it difficult and ridiculous in trying to get there between 4-7 Aug from KUL or SIN oneway. I managed to get a oneway back on award but now it may not have seem the logical choice..

On 5/July I can fly SIN - BNE on EK, with a 12 hour layover which I will stay at the Ibis airport hotel, and take QF next morning.. Hopefully it’s a short walk from international to that hotel or should I stay downtown?

Looked at Darwin or Adelaide?
Or other airlines to Au or for Au domestic?

serfty Jul 19, 2019 9:20 pm

As posted, there's a free transfer bus, every 30 minutes after midnight.

Perth Airport - Terminal transfer bus timetable

The Qantas lounges open one hour prior to each Qantas operated service until last Qantas departure.

What day of the week?

igel Jul 20, 2019 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 31322650)
Oh crumbs..

I guess you mean 5 Aug.
SIN-BNE on EK is a more civilised daylight flight.
On arrival at BNE, you can take the train or the airport intra-terminal bus from International to Domestic.
The Ibis should be a closer walking distance from Domestic rather than International.

Guy Betsy Jul 20, 2019 10:11 am

Originally Posted by igel (Post 31322935)
I guess you mean 5 Aug.
SIN-BNE on EK is a more civilised daylight flight.
On arrival at BNE, you can take the train or the airport intra-terminal bus from International to Domestic.
The Ibis should be a closer walking distance from Domestic rather than International.

Yeah...about the BNE flight... Can bags be checked thru to MEL without collecting and rechecking. Res will be on one ticket. Connection is next day, within 12 hours.

Now lounge questions. I have AA Plat,Sapphire OW.
I take it I can't access QF lounge if it's operated by EK though on QF number... Nor can I access QF lounge if it's on an EK flight number but operated by QF on the domestic sector.. The fare is similar either EK flight numbers all the way or QF numbers. But fate goes up if it's EK/QF combination.

nancypants Jul 20, 2019 11:27 am

You will have to clear customs in Brisbane so no through checking of bags

Dave Noble Jul 20, 2019 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 31324002)
Yeah...about the BNE flight... Can bags be checked thru to MEL without collecting and rechecking. Res will be on one ticket. Connection is next day, within 12 hours.

I take it I can't access QF lounge if it's operated by EK though on QF number... Nor can I access QF lounge if it's on an EK flight number but operated by QF on the domestic sector.. The fare is similar either EK flight numbers all the way or QF numbers. But fate goes up if it's EK/QF combination.

For lounge access as an OW Sapphire member, the flight has to be both marketed by and operated by a OW airline. if it is EK marketed or operated, then no loung eaccess

serfty Jul 20, 2019 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 31324002)

What booking class? If Business then lounge access.

If QF*QF for BNE/PER-MEL then AAdvantage Sapphire gets you lounge access before the QF operated flight.

AustralianPoochie Jul 25, 2019 8:27 am

I would not take the walk from BNE int to Ibis.
If you must, take the int to Skygate free bus, from Skygate, take the 590 bus and get off on the main road a bit of a walk from the Ibis Budget Brisbane Airport.
You would probably get lost walking from BNE int to Ibis Budget Brisbane Airport, as you have to get from Skygate to Ibis, over a sort of creek or river, and there is not a bridge, the bus takes the main road.
If you take a look at Google Maps, you will see what I mean.
BNE int to Skygate, yes, but you are walking on a road verge part of the way.
If you must stay at the Ibis Budget Brisbane Airport, I would take a taxi from BNE int, both ways, not cheap, but at the least you are going to be safer than walking and finding yourself stuck at a ditch.
Like walking from Melbourne Tullamarine to Lazy Moes, possible, but dangerous, and not really advisable.
BUT, I see you set on doing the PER way anyway.

number_6 Jul 25, 2019 6:42 pm

The PER shuttle bus looks to be QF operated and not available for other airlines, so limited to QF and QF codeshare pax ... OP was an MH pax into PER so may not be allowed to take this shuttle bus to domestic terminal. As for interlining bags at BNE with a 12 hour connection, it can't be done generally (last time I tried this was several years ago and was told 6 hours max connecting time to recheck bags after clearing customs as they dont want to store them). Could have changed by now so worth checking, but taking bags to train is a long walk at BNE.

nancypants Jul 25, 2019 8:41 pm

No there’s definitely a generic PER transfer bus that is free for everyone

https://www.perthairport.com.au/to-a...ring-terminals

Guy Betsy Jul 25, 2019 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 31343479)
No there’s definitely a generic PER transfer bus that is free for everyone

https://www.perthairport.com.au/to-a...ring-terminals

After much deliberation (comparing between travelling to PER or BNE), I decided its less hassle if I am to just fly via PERTH.

Arriving from KUL on Malaysia Airlines at 1am, and will Uber it to Aloft or DoubleTree for the night, and then returning to the airport at 3pm for the 545pm QF flight to Melbourne with bags in tow. The flight via BNE would have required an overnight stay in Singapore, and another one in Brisbane enroute to Melbourne. If it is just myself, I would have done it, but I'm travelling with a friend who doesn't travel much or well...

What other 'airport' hotels would you recommend? A friend suggested Aloft because he said that its the closest decent hotel to PER airport although I can redeem points at the DoubleTree for my stay. Suggestions appreciated !

Thanks everyone for your help !

igel Jul 25, 2019 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 31343557)
What other 'airport' hotels would you recommend? A friend suggested Aloft because he said that its the closest decent hotel to PER airport although I can redeem points at the DoubleTree for my stay. Suggestions appreciated !

Thanks everyone for your help !

The town of Guildford, WA, is actually quite close to the Qantas and Jetstar (Domestic) Terminals by cab.
There are some quaint accommodation options there and it is a nice small town.
However you need to check if the reception desk of your accommodation there is open when you arrive in the wee hours.