Search

QF SMS Login Verification

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
QF SMS Login Verification

Looks like QF turned on 2FA

Now when you log into your Qantas Frequent Flyer page you will need to receive a code via text.

Going to make it hard for those who look after our parents frequent Flyer accounts.

Also makes it tough for those who might use a 2nd sim card when traveling.

Next Qantas will just send all the boarding passes to your mobile phone.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: NZ
I encountered this with an overseas SIM in my phone.

However there was an alternate verification option involving three questions so I was able to login that way.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Bundy Bear
Looks like QF turned on 2FA

Now when you log into your Qantas Frequent Flyer page you will need to receive a code via text....
There are challenge questions if you don't recieve a code.

This has been coming for some time and I set up some other accounts I manage so I would receive the code some time ago.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:34 am

Programs: QF WP
I have never get received any kind of 2FA challenge when logging into the app and via the mobile website to manage bookings

however I seem to have a regular stream of text messages with authentication codes- the times don’t particularly align with when i’ve been trying to do anything
I know work has been tinkering with various flights due to schedule changes but assumed QBT would not be doing things in such a way as to generate a 2FA challenge

i find it a bit hard to believe anyone is trying to get into the account illegitimately, especially considering i’m not even being challenged when I log into my own

i also don’t want to phone qantas unless I have to (single runway ops in SYD, I expect they will be busy)

anyone have any insight?

Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you have Awardwallet?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by serfty
Do you have Awardwallet?
i do...

however it seems to not have picked up any of my non-QF recent bookings
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:13 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The SMS for MFA happens when a new device accesses your QFF account for the first time, so you don't get it for "normal" activity (except every few months). So your unexpected SMS indicate a logon attempt from another device, perhaps automation, perhaps your friend checking on your QFF balance Obvioiusly unsuccessful as they dont have the code. I'd try to find out what it is before you get a denial of service attack.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by nancypants
i find it a bit hard to believe anyone is trying to get into the account illegitimately, especially considering i’m not even being challenged when I log into my own
On the basis that one should not necessarily attribute to malice that which could be explained by incompetence, two other possible reasons come to mind. One is that someone has mistaken your QFFF number for theirs, so is accidentally trying and failing to log in to your account. The other is that they are trying to log into their own account, but they have accidentally stored the wrong phone number (ie yours) in that account.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Because it's been unable to login..
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by moa999
Because it's been unable to login..
yes i’m leaning towards this as the most likely explanation. Although I kind of thought they did a sweep at regular intervals whereas the texts i’ve been getting are somewhat more random
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i do...

You need to set up challenge questions for your QFF account and register them with Awardwallet.

The Qantas login has a 'plan b' in case the SMS is not available - something like "Did not receive SMS" which invokes the challenge question access logic; Awardwallet follows that.

(FWIW, I have 4 QFF accounts monitored by Award wallet and recieve these SMS's frequently.)
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
A possible cause of spurious 2FA messages relates to the fact that QFF numbers do not contain any redundancy: it appears that amost any integer in the range 1 to 13 million or so is a valid FF#.. So if you accidentally mistype your FF# when logging in, you are probably not entering an invalid number: you are entering a valid number belonging to someone else, who will presumably get the 2FA SMS!

By contrast, for example, SQ KF numbers are 10 digits long, so a mistyped number has only a 1/1000 chance of being valid.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
serfty's response is the correct one here. AwardWallet sends me these text messages every time it checks my QF account. You just learn to ignore them (or repeatedly delete them).
nancypants, serfty and mattm199 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
This "enhancement" really is a right pain in the arse.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 2:55 am

I am getting a login code emailed several times each month. Could it be due to using awardwallet or a similar service?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.