Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Why No Morning LAX => Australia Departures?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold

Given that some of Qantas’ flights (especially the plane that continues to JFK) arrive as early as 6 am, I’m surprised that they don’t have any morning departures to evening/afternoon arrivals in SYD/MEL/BNE. Certainly the late night departures are better for connections on both ends, but most US => Asia flights are daytime, so I’d think there’d be a similar demand for these times on US => Australia routes. Plus better aircraft utilization (they could pair the evening US departure with an evening Australia departure and evening US arrival)
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:44 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
As you said, it's better for connections at both ends. IIRC QF used to have a westbound daylight flight but dropped it. Multiple flights westbound give plenty of opportunities for missed connections to be accommodated (eg if JFK-LAX is running late). QF also has a maintenance base in LAX and the 12 hours layover gives time for whatever they do. Also, VA, AC, UA and DL also seem to prefer the night time flights. Note that anything going to SYD is restricted by the 2300 - 0600 curfew - so nothing can leave the US west coast from about 1400 to 2200.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
There has been in the past a LAX-SYD that left mid morning and arrived in SYD early evening but iirc this was when QF was sending 3 or daily returns between these two cities.

I imagine it really comes down to connecting traffic at both LAX in the AM and SYD in the early evening but as you point out the Asian routes sustain it so it is likely to be the Australian end the problem exists.

If the route was profitable it would be a no-brainer given the tarmac time for the aircraft. That said it would be spending time on the ground in SYD when it arrives, probably overnight.

None of the US airlines do it either.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by og
As you said, it's better for connections at both ends. IIRC QF used to have a westbound daylight flight but dropped it. Multiple flights westbound give plenty of opportunities for missed connections to be accommodated (eg if JFK-LAX is running late). QF also has a maintenance base in LAX and the 12 hours layover gives time for whatever they do. Also, VA, AC, UA and DL also seem to prefer the night time flights. Note that anything going to SYD is restricted by the 2300 - 0600 curfew - so nothing can leave the US west coast from about 1400 to 2200.
Wow - we wrote all but the same thing at the same time OG.
og likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Unfortunately you need to make your way to Hawaii to get a civilised flight to Australia
Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:05 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Unfortunately you need to make your way to Hawaii to get a civilised flight to Australia
..so long as the experience at the HNL QF lounge is not a part of the “civilised” experience.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by og

..so long as the experience at the HNL QF lounge is not a part of the “civilised” experience.
up to 60 mins in a lounge ( approx ) vs the 10 hours flight, the 10 hours flight is the main item to me. The lounge at HNL has been adequate when I have been there
ps107 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:09 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

up to 60 mins in a lounge ( approx ) vs the 10 hours flight, the 10 hours flight is the main item to me. The lounge at HNL has been adequate when I have been there
Your HNL lounge experience was different to mine. Crowded so it was very difficult to move anywhere, seats were jammed in together so you had to be very friendly with whoever was next to you, the only way to eat was to take your plate outside and sit on the ground. Not pleasant at all. It was only a place to get food and drinks, use the toilets and go anywhere else in the terminal.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Didn't know Qantas has a maintenance base in LAX; that certainly makes a lot more sense for them to keep their planes there for a long time each day. I believe Virgin Australia does the same thing
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
Didn't know Qantas has a maintenance base in LAX; that certainly makes a lot more sense for them to keep their planes there for a long time each day. I believe Virgin Australia does the same thing
The maintenance base is there because the planes are scheduled to be there for about 16 hours. (oh and also the Australian media will tolerate offshore maintenance of QF aircraft by our English speaking 1st world allies). The schedule isn't that way because the base is there, the base is there because of the schedule.
Isochronous likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 5:14 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by mikalee
The maintenance base is there because the planes are scheduled to be there for about 16 hours...
I remember when QF spent $20m+ for these maintenance hangars and hired several hundred mechanics ... was big news at the time as all other US based airlines were eliminating mechanics jobs. Has worked very well for QF despite the high cost of land and labour at LAX.

As for the early flight, it left about noon and I flew it once (maybe 15 years ago?). Remember it well as the plane was half empty and I was the only pax in F for that flight. Even LAX-origin pax preferred the night departures, and few connecting pax made that flight. I think it was tried as part of growing the AA/Oneworld partnership (QF also scheduled ORD-LAX-SYD service which was cancelled the day before the first flight, after setting up QF signage and check-in counters at ORD). QF plans changed, but pax still don't pick these morning flights out of LAX to anywhere in Asia/Oceania.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Morning LAX to evening Australian landing means no connections on both ends, relying solely on local traffic. An instant money loser.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 9:35 pm

Hi, what do you mean? What's the issue flying from US. to SYD is it something with the people or the crew of QF?

thaks
Old Jul 13, 2019, 9:38 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sonny84
Hi, what do you mean? What's the issue flying from US. to SYD is it something with the people or the crew of QF?

thaks
I suspect DN is saying that daylight flights are civilised and night time flights are not civilised. HNL-Oz flights usually run in the daytime.
Sonny84 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Sonny84

thaks
daytime flights are civilised - plus HNL flights are several hours shorter than LAX flights
Sonny84 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.