Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Exorbitant QF Additional Baggage Charge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi

Hi Can anyone help?
Have a LH Business Class ticket with QF flights included to europe returning to AU via USA
QF website shows 3x32KG bags ADL-SYD-HKG-ZRH-TLV/ZRH-FRA-JFK then 2 x32 KG EWR-SFO-SYD/SYD-ADL
QF flights are ADL-SYD,SYD-HKG, SYD-ADL
As ticket is via USA and most significant carrier is QF, QF baggage allowance should apply entire trip?
So every year I have the same ticket and even though i stop in SYD they always fight with me at SYD Domestic QF C checkin about baggage allowance -they say only domestic baggage applies even though SYD-ADL is included on internationa lticket -
So i want to buy an addiditonal bag SYD-ADL on QF in Business - 1 mont hago I extra 32 KG bag was $50 thought I d wait as not leaving unti la months or so time - today checked and this 1x32 KG bag SYD-ADL has changed from$50 to $150 - this is exorbitant and why the change this month? QF call centre in South Africa hopeless and ititialy told me I could have 2x23KG bags when i gave them my booking reference Bla bla bla its a LH ticket I asked them to look at QF website and the nthey said 2x32 KG SYD-ADL and online price is what applies - will it help if I query this with QFF call centre (as a silver stil lhad t owait on hold for 2 hours today and QFF isnt open Sundays) ?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:19 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
There was fog in SYD this morning that caused havoc and school holidays have started.

You could try online chat, but your outrage over the change in price won't reduce it.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: OW Emerald
You say "included on the ticket" but do you mean the ticket number or the PNR? How many e-ticket numbers do you have and what do they start with? Finally how long are you in SYD for before SYD-ADL? My understanding of QF allowance was that they only give the international allowance for domestic flights on a separate ticket if flying out the same calendar day.

If you’ve purchased international and domestic flights and these are on the same ticket, the international checked baggage allowances apply to the domestic flights also. Where the international and domestic flights are on separate tickets, if the connection time is within the same calendar day (for example: arrive at the airport on 10 January 2019 with departure before 11:59pm on 10 January 2019) the international baggage allowance is accepted on both flights. Be sure to present both tickets when checking your baggage in. Exceptions apply.
https://www.qantas.com/us/en/travel-...-and-fees.html
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by jridge
You say "included on the ticket" but do you mean the ticket number or the PNR? How many e-ticket numbers do you have and what do they start with? Finally how long are you in SYD for before SYD-ADL? My understanding of QF allowance was that they only give the international allowance for domestic flights on a separate ticket if flying out the same calendar day.

https://www.qantas.com/us/en/travel-...-and-fees.html
PNR is all for the one ticket, Lufthansa ticket stock
so the baggage allowance applies for the domestic QF sectors as per exactly the webpage you have quoted - QF don't recognize their own webpage at SYD domestic terminal
So why did it increase from $50 per piece of additional baggage to $150 per piece?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What does it state on you eticket / itinerary for luggage allowance? If the US policy applies it will be there

As far as luggage allowance being fixed due to the USA, I believe that the US rules apply where the travel is to or from the USA ; this is travel through the USA from Australia to Asia outbound and Europe to Australia inbound, so if my recollection is correct, the US exception does not apply
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by cbourl
So why did it increase from $50 per piece of additional baggage to $150 per piece?
Most airlines do not disclose their internal business logic for pricing decisions.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: QF WP
I’m confused by the $150- even non prepaid baggage added at the airport is $90, plus a possible heavy bag charge of $50 = $140 all in, if not prebooked. Do you have the $150 in writing?

i don’t have a domestic booking currently active so I am unable to see what it will price out as via manage my booking for prepaid excess baggage

https://www.qantas.com/es/en/travel-...-heavy-charges

Last edited by nancypants; Jul 14, 2019 at 1:32 am
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nancypants
I’m confused by the $150- even non prepaid baggage added at the airport is $90, plus a possible heavy bag charge of $50 = $140 all in, if not precooked. Do you have the $150 in writing?

i don’t have a domestic booking currently active so I am unable to see what it will price out as via manage my booking for prepaid excess baggage

https://www.qantas.com/es/en/travel-...-heavy-charges
Im confused by the $150 which is why I posted -yes website brings up $150
Dont know who to query this with
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:53 pm

Im confused by the $150 which is why I posted -yes website brings up $150
Dont know who to query this with
What does yout eticket/itinerary say that the baggage allowance is and what the excess bag fees are?

Does it say $150?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What does yout eticket/itinerary say that the baggage allowance is and what the excess bag fees are?

Does it say $150?
2x32KG and extra bag SYD-ADL is $150
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:06 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Your ticket must have special conditions, and if purchased from some travel agents QF won't be able to view all of them ... otherwise hard to explain this discrepancy in pricing which varies from normal tickets. I suggest using the website chat function on qantas.com.au and let the agent sort it out, this saves being on hold. I've had good luck with even more complex issues being resolved this way, as long as the written explanation is clear (and yours is).
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Buy a hard sided golf bag holder for your golf clubs. They travel free........
og likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Your ticket must have special conditions, and if purchased from some travel agents QF won't be able to view all of them ... otherwise hard to explain this discrepancy in pricing which varies from normal tickets. I suggest using the website chat function on qantas.com.au and let the agent sort it out, this saves being on hold. I've had good luck with even more complex issues being resolved this way, as long as the written explanation is clear (and yours is).
Thx Ill try that - interestingly in late May when I looked at booking on Qantas.com, extra bag was $50 for SYD-ADL
And as pointed out by someone else, the current $150 is more expensive that the $140 for buying an extra 32 KG bag at airport prices
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
Buy a hard sided golf bag holder for your golf clubs. They travel free........
Really? The QF website says golf clubs/bags are "exempt from normal linear dimension restrictions" Where does it say they are free?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:25 am

2x32KG and extra bag SYD-ADL is $150
Then that is correct in relation to the ticket which you purchased

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.