Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

don't fly Qantas protest gains momentum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

just recd my 12 email about not flying Qantas due to the CEOs very biased political views. Must say, it seems to be gaining a lot of momentum & must be costing Qantas many millions. Think Joyce's time is up. Time for a CEO who doesn't use the airline to sprout his personal views.

Last edited by OZFLYER86; Jun 23, 2019 at 11:27 pm
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
I'm not across the "protest movement" at all ... what am I missing out on??

Regards,

BD
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:17 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] This thread has the potential to go nowhere really fast. I will monitor this closely and ask the community to do the same. Please only post things which advance our knowledge about Qantas and the Frequent Flyer program. [/mod hat]
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:04 am

Sounds like rubbish to me.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: QF WP
While Joyce has obviously been unpopular in a lot of quarters and there have been some dubious decisions made over the years, I am unable to find any reference to this movement in a cursory search. Is the OP able to provide a link?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:27 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Purely for context, I suspect this relates to the current dispute between Israel Folau and Rugby Australia, where it has been alleged Qantas put some pressure on RA over some comments Folau made. It is getting a lot of air time, and I wouldn't be surprised if some are proposing a boycott of Qantas for this reason - not that I've seen or heard or read of anything. As per moderator instructions, debating this, or going into this any further will see this thread shut down.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:42 am

Also saw something over the weekend about people getting up in arms about the use of cheap prison labour to do headphones and that the pay is less than a dollar an hour of something.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:37 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
All of this is news to me. In spite of the CEO's opinion on external matters, the company has strengthened its weak standing of some years ago. If people embargo QF because of current politics, that's great. If they hold award seats or paid bookings I hope they cancel. That (might) allow others to have cheaper fares or get award space.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:53 pm

Emirates, Qatar and Etihad will fly you to other regions in the world that might have values more consistent with your own .
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by APUBleed
Emirates, Qatar and Etihad will fly you to other regions in the world that might have values more consistent with your own .
I believe part of the problem that this "movement" has with QF is the perceived duplicity of QF speaking out against Folau while on the other hand maintaining commercial arrangements with QR and EK.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bensyd
I believe part of the problem that this "movement" has with QF is the perceived duplicity of QF speaking out against Folau while on the other hand maintaining commercial arrangements with QR and EK.
I haven't noticed any of these airlines abusing their position by making comments about groups of people, nor have they ever broken an undettaking not to do so.

I still have seen nothing from this so called movement
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I haven't noticed any of these airlines abusing their position by making comments about groups of people, nor have they ever broken an undettaking not to do so.

of course the arab airlines wouldn't comment. They don't want to lose any business, but fact remains that in UAE & most arab countries, they jail gays for being gay.

Lots of chatter on facebook groups.

Last edited by OZFLYER86; Jun 24, 2019 at 10:05 pm
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

Those airlines are owned by governments of countries that make homosexuality illegal.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bensyd
Those airlines are owned by governments of countries that make homosexuality illegal.
& there you have the hypocrisy.

A gay CEO of Qantas getting involved with gay issues through the airline & yet at same time happy to do lots of business with EK.

Persecution of best rugby player in Australia who is some sort of preacher, who quoted the bible & gets sacked from very good rugby contract, while at same time many rugby league players(an inferior version of rugby) bash their wives/police take drugs & nothing happens.

But say something in a facebook post that airline CEO doesn't agree with & ...

While at same time Islamic preachers in Australia call for death to infidels & nothing is said whatsoever.

What's the world coming to ?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Purely for context, I suspect this relates to the current dispute between Israel Folau and Rugby Australia, where it has been alleged Qantas put some pressure on RA over some comments Folau made. It is getting a lot of air time, and I wouldn't be surprised if some are proposing a boycott of Qantas for this reason - not that I've seen or heard or read of anything. As per moderator instructions, debating this, or going into this any further will see this thread shut down.
BTW

Sacked rugby player is going to court this Friday. Taking rugby Australia to the cleaners maybe for religious persecution & he may win & then it will get really interesting. The anitgay preacher will have to be allowed back into rugby, playing for the Qantas Wallabies(Australia), while Qantas is led by a very outspoken gay CEO.

It's a freedom of speech thing & you can hardly be discriminated against for quoting the bible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.