Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Brace for Enhancement [changes from 20 Jun 2019]

Brace for Enhancement [changes from 20 Jun 2019]

Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:24 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Lounge access is changing, along with status credit earn as well.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Tyrolean
After reaching LTG i stopped crediting to QFF and moved mainly to *A. A LTP could make me thinking about moving some business back to QF and Oneworld. But I do not see this happening.
Your wish has been granted! Albeit @ 75000 SCs
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

according to the SMH, looks like reduction of cash co-payments ( so called carrier imposed surcharges ) are reduced - not removed ( like they ought to be ) but reduced
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:00 pm

Introduction of a new club for spenders that don’t fly called the points club, entry starts at 150k earned from spend.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QF web site news release-->https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/me...gram-overhaul/

<snip>
The major initiatives, to be rolled out to members over the next 12 months, include:
  • Adding more than 1 million extra reward seats available annually on Qantas and new partner airlines.
  • Slashing carrier charges – the additional costs associated with flights booked with Points – by up to 50 per cent on international bookings[i] (opens in new window), saving members on average $200 per return journey.
  • Changing the points required for reward seats on domestic and international flights including an up to 10 per cent reduction in the number of points required for international economy Classic Reward seats.
  • Increasing the points required for upgrades and Classic Reward seats in premium cabins to better reflect the value of this premium experience.
  • Creating a new tiered Points Club program to better reward members who earn most of their points through on-the-ground transactions.
  • Introducing Lifetime Platinum status, the ultimate recognition for the airline’s most loyal flyers.
<snip>
(red by me)

Edit
Business MEL to LAX return
Was 192,000 points & $943.
Now 216,800 points & $703.
Increase 24,800 & $240 less in fees (13% increase in QF points. And there are better business class seats on that route with other airlines)

Some interesting snippets of the QF frequent spender program (from linked downloadable QF pdf, so unverified)
  • Two-thirds of all points earned are generated by on the ground transactions
  • 35% of all credit card spend in Australia is on a Qantas or Qantas Frequent Flyer co-branded credit card

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 19, 2019 at 7:28 pm
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: NZ
Not surprised to see premium cabin awards going up - this is where the sweet spots are in most FF programs
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:29 pm

So far the only thing missing in this major change announcement is the announcement of any major changes

Putting business award prices up even further out of making scheme of any value
a reduction in economy awards
a new lifetime platinum status

how are these at all major

Also, how can it claim to be increasing award availability on partners - the partners set their award availability

Originally Posted by minz56
Not surprised to see premium cabin awards going up - this is where the sweet spots are in most FF programs
except that Qantas is ridiculously priced already

Originally Posted by smh
A new lifetime membership will be available to flyers who earn 75,000 status credits, called Lifetime Platinum, which will launch in September. The threshold will be more than five times the amount of credits required for Lifetime Gold.

"In some ways, it's more exclusive than the Chairman's Lounge," said Qantas Loyalty CEO Olivia Wirth.
Today's question - in which ways is it more exclusive

Anyone can get Lifetime Platinum by wasting enough money crediting to the Qantas Scheme but they may still never be able to get Chairman's lounge membership

Anyone that has Chairman's lounge membership is capable of attaining lifetime platinum

Cannot see that it is more exclusive in any way
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 19, 2019 at 7:39 pm
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Do we know the start date for the "increased" availability?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

Also, how can it claim to be increasing award availability on partners - the partners set their award availabilitity
Easy, by adding more redemption partners like they just announced today, ie Air NZ, KLM, Air France and Bangkok Airlines

Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: Qantas/One World, Thai/Star alliance, Virgin Blue/Skywards
Ok - if you are aiming for Lifetime Platinum Status - on my calculations you would have to spend - If you travel this much you probably mainly travel on flex fares, and at an approx. price of $20/status credit, that means you would need to spend around AUD$1,500,000 to get lifetime platinum. Let’s say you earnt that over the 32 years of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, that would require spending an average of around AUD$47,000 per year on Qantas and partner, status earning travel. That’s a lot. Here is an article on how I worked out what a status credit costs - travel over to 2paxfly com and search for 'qantas status credit cost'
Spiff, Tyrolean, bubbles23 and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by markis10

Easy, by adding more redemption partners like they just announced today, ie Air NZ, KLM, Air France and Bangkok Airlines

The partner availability has not changed - just that Qantas has not been able to book it

There may be more seats that a person can book , but Qantas has not added the reward seats on partner airlines
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There may be more seats that a person can book , but Qantas has not added the reward seats on partner airlines
More availability of award seats on partner airlines is the end result, which was what they claimed after all, if you choose to read it as Qantas making more seats available by themselves, then so be it, your welcome to your narrow intereptations!
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by markis10
Lounge access is changing, along with status credit earn as well.
What became of these? I didn't see anything about lounge access changing nor status credit earn.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
from website i says domestic upgrades are not confirmed until 3day prior... i thought this.was instant if available... is this the sort of enhancement where inconvenient truth does not get mentioned with bunch of useless changes being marketed with so nuch hype?
Tyrolean likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:34 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
LT WP was always something I had hoped would come one day and I told myself I would move more of my business to QF when this happens. Now if you just qualify for Platinum every year you need 50+ years to get lifetime WP. This really now becomes a problem of your lifetime. Even as a Platinum One you need 20 years to get there. This is insane. 7000 for lifetime silver, 14000 for LT SG, maybe 28000 for lifetime WP would have been sensible but 75000 is just crazy. Would somebody know how this compares to lifetime gold (OW Emerald) on BA?
Spiff, Tyrolean and nancypants like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.