Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Brace for Enhancement [changes from 20 Jun 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:31 pm
SFU
Original Poster

Programs: QFF Gold

From Travel Daily, just published online:

QFFF changes
QANTAS has flagged major
changes to its Frequent Flyer
Program later this week, with CEO
Alan Joyce and Head of Loyalty,
Olivia Wirth, expected to make an
announcement at 10.30am this
coming Thu morning.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Link--->https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-plan...t-flyer-scheme
Qantas will this week unveil sweeping changes to its frequent flyer program, which the airline describes as "the biggest overhaul to the airline’s loyalty program in its 32 year history."

The details will be revealed at a Sydney press conference called for 10.30am on Thursday June 20 to be hosted by Qantas Group CEO Alan Joyce and Qantas Loyalty CEO Olivia Wirth.

"Significant changes" are said to be on the cards, with likely impacts on earning status along with redeeming frequent flyer points on seats and upgrades.

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; Jun 18, 2019 at 2:37 pm Reason: Reduced amount quoted from article
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:43 pm

I'm not holding my breath
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Great....
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: QF Gold
Not looking forward to this.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
After reaching LTG i stopped crediting to QFF and moved mainly to *A. A LTP could make me thinking about moving some business back to QF and Oneworld. But I do not see this happening.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
In the first six months of the 2018 financial year Qantas Loyalty posted a $175m profit, more than twice that of the airline's international flying and contributing almost 25% of that period’s group-wide pre-tax earning of $871 million
Link--->https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-plan...t-flyer-scheme
Well if they made $175m, investors see "why not $200m next time, so we better cut the FF program!"
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:38 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
@David: Very well informed. Can you share some more details?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I can't see that the redemption side could get much worse
Making random guesses on things that I think it might do - one would be to tie earning to revenue rather than distance and another potentially to stop offering lifetime status
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:04 am

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Let them announce their changes. I will then re-evaluate their offering against the competition and alternate transport options when I need to go from A to B. If it still suits me to fly QF I will and I will take whatever benefits they offer. If there is a better offering I will simply move some/most of my business to the better offering.

No one should be tied to the loyalty programme except those that have been hoodwinked by the psychology of it all.

Don;t loose sleep over it - you owe Qantas nothing and they owe you nothing. They are after all out to maximise profits, probably like the majority of their passengers including myself.
og, Annalisa12 and nancypants like this.

Last edited by mikalee; Jun 19, 2019 at 12:05 am Reason: to quick to press enter
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:09 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I can't see that the redemption side could get much worse
Making random guesses on things that I think it might do - one would be to tie earning to revenue rather than distance and another potentially to stop offering lifetime status
Agreed. Considering QF often follows LH in many of their strategic decisions this sounds plausible.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
News is breaking on Australian Frequent Flyer. Changes are appearing on the Qantas website. At the moment, it seems there is a reduction in the cost of Y awards. Premium awards seem to have gone to what I understand to be dynamic pricing (fairly significant increases in some cases). After you've logged into your FF account, click on "Make a reward booking" and find the link on that page to "Where can I go", near the image of a map, camera, notepad etc. Use the "Refine search" button to look at Y, J and F.

Correction: The cost of some premium awards appear to have also decreased.

Last edited by danger; Jun 19, 2019 at 5:13 am
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
I would hope Qantas don't take away lifetime status, 3/4 of the way to Life time Gold I would be gutted.

I can't see too many changes with economy maybe have a classic economy and then a regular economy one that costs say double the points,

Maybe some monetary thing where you have to spend money to get more status.

Who knows we will find out on Thursday.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: QF WP
A move to revenue based would have been fantastic when I was an Alice springs based road warrior. $800 ow in Y to cairns netting 15 SC 😂😂😂
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: QF Silver
Originally Posted by danger
News is breaking on Australian Frequent Flyer. Changes are appearing on the Qantas website. At the moment, it seems there is a reduction in the cost of Y awards. Premium awards seem to have gone to what I understand to be dynamic pricing (fairly significant increases in some cases). After you've logged into your FF account, click on "Make a reward booking" and find the link on that page to "Where can I go", near the image of a map, camera, notepad etc. Use the "Refine search" button to look at Y, J and F.

Correction: The cost of some premium awards appear to have also decreased.
The Fin Review agrees:

Qantas will free up more "redemption seats" on its most in-demand international routes – including to London, New York and Singapore – during popular travel periods for frequent flyers to book using points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.