FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Same Day Turn Around (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1973461-same-day-turn-around.html)

FlyerTalker688786 Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

Same Day Turn Around

I would like to use this thread to ask a similar question. I have an award ticket from SYD to a domestic rural destination. But as things stand I no longer need it any more. To cancel this ticket it would cost me more than buying a new ticket back to the Sydney the same day.

So the question is what is the experiece like to do a same flight turn around in Qantas domestic flight? As my flight is the last flight of the day leaving Sydney and will be turning around back to Sydney. Technically I think I can make it as the destination airport is small.

But I would really appreciate people who have done this in similar situations to share their expetiences so that I can make a decision. Thanks.

DownUnderFlyer Jun 10, 2019 2:19 pm

[mod hat] This post was moved from another thread as the question can and should stand on its own. [/mod hat]

serfty Jun 10, 2019 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by chongcao (Post 31189058)
I would like to use this thread to ask a similar question. I have an award ticket from SYD to a domestic rural destination. But as things stand I no longer need it any more. To cancel this ticket it would cost me more than buying a new ticket back to the Sydney the same day. ...

Presumably this award is not with Qantas?

Generally the same aircraft is used in the brief turnaround for these regional NSW locations. If that is the case then OLCI would assist. Having checked luggage would not be an option.

Globaliser Jun 10, 2019 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by chongcao (Post 31189058)
Technically I think I can make it as the destination airport is small.

I wonder whether it might help for you to identify the airport, in case there are features of it that may help to give an accurate answer.

Dave Noble Jun 10, 2019 6:32 pm

What is the MCT at the airport ? If you are booked, even on 2 separate tickets, you may find that Qantas will not permit the itinerary with an unlawful connection time

igel Jun 10, 2019 8:08 pm

I have done ADL-WYA-ADL on Qantas Link, same plane turnaround for SC runs.
On some days of the week, there is only 1 flight that day from ADL to WYA.
It is the same plane turnaround with only 20 mins on the ground.
Have had no problems getting my boarding passes for both flights at ADL check-in.
I was required to leave the aircraft at WYA and then reboard the aircraft again, although WYA airport does not have security inspection.
Have not had the experience yet of the Dash 8 going tech at WYA.
I suppose if that happens, they would have to accommodate me overnight at WYA.

pbl22 Jun 11, 2019 12:29 am

I have done same day turnarounds at nearly every regional airport in Australia. I have never had a problem (always have OLCI, never have checked luggage).

FlyerTalker688786 Jun 11, 2019 2:26 am

Thank you all, @serfty, @igel and @pbl22

Your comment is very valuable. Yes it is a regional airport and it is Qantaslink Dash 8 service. I was in the airport earlier this week and I notice that I will have to get off the plane walk out the baggage claim and turn around for a security check. Without intention of checking baggage so I think I may risk the MCT (tongue in cheek).

FlyerTalker688786 Jun 11, 2019 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 31189833)
I wonder whether it might help for you to identify the airport, in case there are features of it that may help to give an accurate answer.

thanks for suggestion. CFS is the airport.

lokijuh Jun 11, 2019 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 31190183)
What is the MCT at the airport ? If you are booked, even on 2 separate tickets, you may find that Qantas will not permit the itinerary with an unlawful connection time

A bit of OT trivia, I used to travel a fair bit to NAA. It was a triangle routing SYD-NAA-MRZ-SYD, and flight number changed at MRZ (so great for SCs). Once, when we had a new corporate TA, they were refusing to sell me NAA-MRZ-SYD as it involved a change in flight numbers and it didn't meet MCT. I said I would take the risk.

These same plane turn arounds at regional ports are the easiest to make of any connection, and if on separate tickets and checked in online, I can't imagine that QF would disallow the itinerary. The biggest risk is if there is a delay due to weather or mechanical at origin and they sent an aircraft from another port to pick up pax (eg if SYD-ABX delayed, theoretically, if an aircraft was available at MEL, they could dispatch it to ABX to collect stranded ABX pax.) But this is theoretical, and extremely unlikely.

Globaliser Jun 11, 2019 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 31190183)
What is the MCT at the airport?

Originally Posted by chongcao (Post 31191006)
CFS is the airport.

EF says the MCT is 0:15.

And it also suggests that the turnaround time at CFS is usually 0:20 or 0:25.

mikalee Jun 14, 2019 5:03 am

I did this the other day BNE-LRE-BNE. I couldn’t buy a return and so had two one ways to deliver a box of stuff up there, no checked baggage back.

As I was seated in 2D I was off the plane, through arrivals, went to the loo, security check and in the departure lounge before the last passenger had deplaned.

The Qantas app handled itself brilliantly.