Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas to lanuch BNE-ORD (Chicago), AA partnership back on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas to lanuch BNE-ORD (Chicago), AA partnership back on

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
My question is where is the westbound ORD-BNE going to divert to if prevailing winds are too strong? Or are they going to limit the number of Pax on the flight to reduce weight?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by og
Oz connections through BNE (domestic to international) will be a PITA unless QF can shuffle BNE terminals.
Much better than at awful SYD.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by seenitall
My question is where is the westbound ORD-BNE going to divert to if prevailing winds are too strong? Or are they going to limit the number of Pax on the flight to reduce weight?
NAN or NOU I'm guessing.

I think they are often used when DFW/SYD can't be done nonstop.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by littlegreenman
BNE with the new runway coming up and the additional three terminals mentioned in the new master plan will have the capacity and infrastructure for seamless transfers.

Being able to avoid Sydney is a huge bonus, especially on Origin night
Yep seamless transfers means MEL is by far the best airport in my book.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Demonoid
ADL is also seamless. But not many flights to transfer to or from
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Demonoid
MEL is hardly seamless. I would call AKL & NAN seamless. On matter of NAN, Fiji Airways getting 2 airbus 359s to fly NAN/LAX/NAN. They could surely fly much further & FJ could copy NZ to a degree & make NAN a bigger hub, just like AKL. How many Australians must fly to LAX, SFO, HOU, ORD & YVR via AKL ?
shuuy likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

off topic

Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
MEL is hardly seamless. I would call AKL & NAN seamless.
How many times have you walked the line between the AKL international & domestic terminals?
In the rain? Or waited for the transit bus?
og, lokijuh, CPMaverick and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
off topic

How many times have you walked the line between the AKL international & domestic terminals?
In the rain? Or waited for the transit bus?
we're talking about flights OZ to USA avoiding LAX cos it's design makes transfering flights at LAX messy & time consuming.

OZ to USA via AKL or NAN is seamless & usually involves a very short way esp at NAN. It can be slightly longer at AKL. What's AKL domestic terminal got to do with anything ?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: QF WP
we're talking about flights OZ to USA avoiding LAX cos it's design makes transfering flights at LAX messy & time consuming.

OZ to USA via AKL or NAN is seamless & usually involves a very short way esp at NAN. It can be slightly longer at AKL. What's AKL domestic terminal got to do with anything ?
i suppose on the basis that a lot of people think Australia =/= brisbane (or Sydney, or Melbourne) and that a fairly large percentage of pax will be transferring from a domestic service at Brisbane. Hence the conversations about domestic-international transfer and VV. IMO SYD international to domestic and vv is no worse than the others. MEL as an airport I dislike intensely so even though it’s nominally easier to transfer between terminals I still ultimately find myself in Melbourne airport. Auckland domestic-international and vv is rubbish

further questions?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:11 am

They could surely fly much further & FJ could copy NZ to a degree & make NAN a bigger hub, just like AKL. How many Australians must fly to LAX, SFO, HOU, ORD & YVR via AKL ?
Don't all hub operations rely, to a certain extent, on a reasonable origin and departure market for the segment as well? Needs to be strong enough, to sustain high prices in the local market. That's how SQ works at SIN, EK works at DXB, CX works at HKG, NZ at AKL etc ... even QF at SYD. I can't see the Fiji market being strong enough to charge the premiums for local originating traffic to support a bigger hub/spoke operation.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:46 am
Suspended

Was just talking to a travel agent who we do a bit of business with, who hates QF, about new BNE/SFO & BNE/ORD nonstops.

She said the new nonstops BNE/SFO & BNE/ORD will cut into NZs BNE/AKL/SFO & BNE/AKL/ORD & to a lesser extent FJs BNE/NAN/SFO, as FJ flight hardly ever connect at NAN coming in from BNE, although with the recession in Australia, many businesses have been looking at ways to reduce their travel expenses & she's been selling quite a bit of much cheaper FJ to USA.

But she did say what is happening a lot these days ..................

Say a business type has to go to SFO or ORD for meetings or whatever for a few days.

They ask for a booking to be made on a fully flexible ticket(the dearest one they can find) & then send an invoice.

Then the business type will say, ok I still want to go to SFO, but not on QF, but rather on FJ with few days in Fiji with partner, on cheap tickets (lately they've been as low as AUD$750 return per adult, whereas a fully flexible ticket on QF, would probably be AUD$3000 or more).

So with $1500 or so saved, will pay for some very nice accommodation in Fiji or upgrades on Fiji Airways, who have a bidding system to upgrade to business class on a sector by sector basis. Costs whoevers paying the same, but wife/husband is happy, that not being left at home AGAIN. A win-win for everyone except QF.

ORD is a bit more complicated as FJ don't fly there, but then a few domestic US sectors need to be bought either SFO/ORD/SFO or LAX/ORD/LAX or SFO/ORD/LAX or vice versa.

Easy solution to keep the marriage going along smoothly.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:10 am

That may well be the case for smaller businesses. But in the big end of town, I'd be surprised. The MNC's I've worked for would pay for direct/flexible fare, but if you elected to travel on FJ, they would pocket the savings. They would let you stay over in Fiji though - at your own expense. They wouldn't pay for partner to accompany (although maybe would consider partner joining you for part of trip it if it was a one month trip or something).
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by docbert
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...acific-flights

The partnership has been granted tentative approval. Qantas will apparently launch BNE-ORD, and possibly BNE-SFO....
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi

Final Approval for Qantas, American Joint Venture | Australian Frequent Flyer

The US Department of Transportation (DOT) has officially granted final approval for Qantas to commence its Joint Venture with American Airlines. It follows the tentative approval which was given last month for coordination on trans-Pacific flights between the United States and Australia & New Zealand.

The final approval paves the way for Qantas to launch new, non-stop flights from Brisbane to San Francisco and Brisbane to Chicago. The routes will be served by Boeing 787 Dreamliners in partnership with American Airlines. The two routes will launch by the end of April 2020. Qantas says that tickets will be available for sale “soon”, once the schedule is finalised.
Also, on AA FT Forum: American-Qantas Joint Venture approved (19 July 2019)

Last edited by serfty; Jul 19, 2019 at 7:29 pm
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:44 am

AA has to come up with a flight and there are suggestions it will be DFW to Melbourne with 789s.. If that is the case then QF will move to daily 789s from SYD to DFW. This wont happen until later next year when a couple more 789s arrive. Then they will base same 789s in Sydney as well.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lokijuh
That may well be the case for smaller businesses. But in the big end of town, I'd be surprised. The MNC's I've worked for would pay for direct/flexible fare, but if you elected to travel on FJ, they would pocket the savings. They would let you stay over in Fiji though - at your own expense. They wouldn't pay for partner to accompany (although maybe would consider partner joining you for part of trip it if it was a one month trip or something).
I hear what a lot of corporates & doctors/dentists/lawyers/accountants etc. is to book a fully flexible ticket & then change that to 2 cheaper tickets.

So they pay for the higher priced ticket, but tell the travel agent not to issue that ticket & instead issue 2 cheaper tickets, which are often so much cheaper, they would still have 1000s of dollars to spend on a stopover.

Eg. think a fully flex ticket SYD/LAX/SYD is around AUD$3k, whereas a cheap ticket is around $800. 2 x $800 leaves $1400 to play with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.