Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

how much for taxes and fee for award ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 9:58 am
Original Poster

I don't have an account with Qantas yet but may depending on award fees and points.
For CNS to AYQ, how many points on economy and what will the tax and fee be?
Also for ASP to ADL, how many points on economy and what will the tax and fee be?

Thanks
Old May 31, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
For the number of points: https://www.qantas.com/fflyer/do/dyn...PointsRedeemed
Old May 31, 2019, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by metoo
I don't have an account with Qantas yet but may depending on award fees and points.
For CNS to AYQ, how many points on economy and what will the tax and fee be?
Also for ASP to ADL, how many points on economy and what will the tax and fee be?

Thanks
Do not assume that redeeming QANTAS points for QANTAS domestic routes will be cheaper than redeeming miles/points from other FFPs (like AA and BA).
Old May 31, 2019, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
@metoo - the Tax varies with the route, AUD58 for CNS to AYQ and AUD39 for ASP to ADL.

For awards, Qantas charge an additional AUD14 per domestic segment, so totals of AUD72 and AUD53 respectively.

Each route is 12000 QFF points in economy.

Last edited by serfty; May 31, 2019 at 2:41 pm
Old May 31, 2019, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

thank you all for your answers. it seems like BA and AA would cost less.

I am looking for an economy for CNS to AYQ in November 2019. Presently no award seat available at BA or AA for my date.

Does anyone know if Qantas will release the seat closer to departure date?

Is there a good chance Qantas will release it on the particular route I am interested in.
Old May 31, 2019, 4:06 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I am looking for an economy for CNS to AYQ in November 2019. Presently no award seat available at BA or AA for my date.

Does anyone know if Qantas will release the seat closer to departure date?

Is there a good chance Qantas will release it on the particular route I am interested in.
QF is not known for releasing award seats close to departure. It is a monopoly route and only one flight per day. If you hold back hoping for award seats to be released you may be disappointed. Personally, I wouldn’t risk basing my travel strategy on getting an award seat for this flight.

Looking at a sample day in November, it seems QF are blocking about 50 seats out of the 125 available - suggesting QF have or are expecting a group tour booking. These blocked seats include most of the prime window seats forward of the wing. Window seats are available aft of the wing.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thank you all for your answers. it seems like BA and AA would cost less.

I am looking for an economy for CNS to AYQ in November 2019. Presently no award seat available at BA or AA for my date. .
AA is not that good for short flights (but that may change for the worst on 31 Jul)
AA have a zone based system, so the same 10,000 AA ff miles for ASP to ADL (816 miles) as for say SYD-PER (2041 miles)
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ward-chart.jsp
"Wholly within: Australia main cabin 10,000 miles"

BA avios is good for shortish flights as based on distance

Alaska is another QF ff partner. 12,500 AS ff miles. AS allow stopovers, but unsure if that can apply to awards on QF domestic flights.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=CNS-AYQ...D&MS=wls&DU=mi

Best not to end up with orphan QF ff points.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 31, 2019 at 7:05 pm Reason: Added AS
Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:33 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Award availability for QFF is greater than for AAdvantage or BA for the same flight, at least for some flights which are in high demand. So your choice may be an available award from QFF vs. no award from the cheaper AA or BA (and whether or not it is cheaper depends how you value points, as they don't equate 1:1). On your routes availability will usually drop closer to travel date. All depends how much date and route flexibilty you have.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:24 pm

Can someone dummy book a DUB to OKC reward economy classic flight for me (8/19/19) on Qantas to see what the taxes/fees would be? It won't show me unless I have enough points and I don't wanna transfer my MR points over to Qantas just to see the potential tax/fee costs. TIA!
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Can someone dummy book a DUB to OKC reward economy classic flight for me (8/19/19) on Qantas to see what the taxes/fees would be? It won't show me unless I have enough points and I don't wanna transfer my MR points over to Qantas just to see the potential tax/fee costs. TIA!
If you use matrix.itasoftware.com and price up a DOB-OKC flight there, you should be able to see the taxes and fares-disguised-as-taxes that will be payable

Taxes/charges will be dependent upon flights taken and , potentially, class of service
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you use matrix.itasoftware.com and price up a DOB-OKC flight there, you should be able to see the taxes and fares-disguised-as-taxes that will be payable

Taxes/charges will be dependent upon flights taken and , potentially, class of service
Thanks, but Qantas is not popping up as an airline. I'm not sure I know how to work that website properly...
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:39 pm

Thanks, but Qantas is not popping up as an airline. I'm not sure I know how to work that website properly...
Qantas doesn't fly from DUB-OKC, so will not show up

which airline are you planning to fly on?

You should be able to do one way , from DUB , to OKC and then it will give various choices. Find one that matches your planned journey
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not uprising as QF do not fly DUB to OKC. Very much AA BA territory.
Will be many possible routes
DUB-ORD-OKC
DUB-CLT-OKC
Great Circle Mapper
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Rogers_World_Airport
https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=DUB&t...=1&c=y&s=1&p=0
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Qantas doesn't fly from DUB-OKC, so will not show up

which airline are you planning to fly on?
American Airlines is the partnered airline, per Qantas' website.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Not uprising as QF do not fly DUB to OKC. Very much AA BA territory.
Will be many possible routes
Great Circle Mapper
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Rogers_World_Airport
https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=DUB&t...=1&c=y&s=1&p=0
Plus Aer Lingus with AA I would have thought

BA would be an awful choice - start by flying backwards to London and then 2 flights to get to OKC -- plus miss out on the US immigration clearance facility offered in Dublin
SuperKirby and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.