Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Can I miss a leg and con't with rest of trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum, ICH RA, HH Silver, Hyatt GP

I have an upcoming HKG-SYD-BNE and BNE-HKG.

I actually need to head to Gold Coast. Would QF allow me to check to SYD only, forgoing the connecting SYD-BNE leg- I will then buy a separate ticket to OOL and use my return BNE-HKG leg?
Old May 29, 2019, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Why would you even bother, or take any risk on this? BNE and OOL are only 60 miles apart.
nancypants and RTWFF like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Im actually planning to have a stopover in SYD which I did not mention in the original post
Old May 29, 2019, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If that is all on one ticket and you no show for any segment, all remaining segments will be cancelled.

You either need to fly as ticketed or have your ticket changed to cancel the segment.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:35 am

Actually amazingly once I was working in Phillipines and taking Thai airways SYD -BKK- MNL. On the way home I stayed in Thailand and never bothered returning to Sydney and my next flight was going to miss the Sydney leg and hop on in Bangkok and when I rang to ensure it would be ok they said it would not.

Mind you I had already missed the flight and had the next ticket issued. Don’t ask me how but somehow after 50 no’s from Thai call centre staff I ended up on the line with a Thai airways person in Perth who jumped onto a system and separated the tickets to allow me to do it.

Once off maybe, but it can be done but good luck finding the person who had the access and the desire.
Old May 29, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
What's the change-fee v the cost of your SYD-OOL?

Regards,

BD
Old May 29, 2019, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jcjchung
Im actually planning to have a stopover in SYD which I did not mention in the original post
You will need to contact the airline or travel agent where you made the booking and either (a) add in a stopover in Sydney or (b) change outbound destination to be Sydney

If you just skip the SYD-BNE flight, then you will be a no-show on that flight and still have to pay any penalties to change the flights plus also pay any no-show penalties

It may be that a no-show causes the rest of itinerary to be cancelled - this depends on the fare rules - it is not necessarily true that the remaining sectors will be cancelled
nancypants and number_6 like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE: Called Qantas myself yesterday and they told me it will cost HK$1000pp just to cancelled the SYD-BNE leg. Then wife calls and asked about section 4.6 of the condition of carriage:

4.6 If You Are Late or Do Not Show Up for Your Flight

Refer to the fare rules of the fare you have purchased.

If you notify us in advance, in accordance with any timeframes set out in your fare rules, that you will not show up for the flight, we will not cancel any subsequent flight reservations on your Ticket.

Qantas was then able to cancel the SYD-BNE without any fees!!!!! They took a telephone recording that we would like to forfeit that flight.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:42 pm

You were very lucky - there is nothing there that says that a segment can be dropped without penalty

It would have seemed easier to have paid the approx $184 and just changed the date to one that want to travel on ( assuming no restriction on stopovers )
Old May 30, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It would have seemed easier to have paid the approx $184 and just changed the date to one that want to travel on ( assuming no restriction on stopovers )
... which probably compares favourably with a separate SYD-OOL ticket - hence my question.

Regards,

BD
Old May 30, 2019, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by BD1959
... which probably compares favourably with a separate SYD-OOL ticket - hence my question.

Regards,

BD
Indeed - could probably have changed the SYD-BNE to be SYD-OOL if OOL was the desired destination

As far as the clause 4.5 goes, it only says that it can be dropped in accordance with the fare rules without the next flight being cancelled - not that a sector can just be dropped - i.e. as long as not a no show
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by jcjchung
UPDATE: Called Qantas myself yesterday and they told me it will cost HK$1000pp just to cancelled the SYD-BNE leg. Then wife calls and asked about section 4.6 of the condition of carriage:

4.6 If You Are Late or Do Not Show Up for Your Flight

Refer to the fare rules of the fare you have purchased.

If you notify us in advance, in accordance with any timeframes set out in your fare rules, that you will not show up for the flight, we will not cancel any subsequent flight reservations on your Ticket.

Qantas was then able to cancel the SYD-BNE without any fees!!!!! They took a telephone recording that we would like to forfeit that flight.
I’d be wary of this. The agent just cancelled the ongoing reservation SYD-BNE but the ticket has not been changed which means your ticket is now out-of-sequence. I would therefore call back and check that the ticket is still valid for your return, and that the reservation is ok as it is.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:02 pm

Good point - the reservation for that flight may have been cancelled ; unless the ticket has been resissued with the new routing, will still need to fly SYD-BNE or get reservation ticketed without it before flying BNE-HKG
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

I’d be wary of this. The agent just cancelled the ongoing reservation SYD-BNE but the ticket has not been changed which means your ticket is now out-of-sequence. I would therefore call back and check that the ticket is still valid for your return, and that the reservation is ok as it is.
I guess the proof of the pudding will be if the checkin person in HKG says "travelling to SYD" or "travelling to BNE" - if it's the former, then you know that reservations has cancelled the SYD-BNE flight.

If the SYD-BNE flight is still there the OP can still ask to be checked to SYD - just double checked bags are short tagged to SYD also. Even if the SYD-BNE flight was still active but pax was marked as not travelling I don't believe that would cancel the BNE-HKG sector.

Airport CSA's don't care whether the previous coupon is flown on or not, only that pax has a booking for BNE-HKG & a flight coupon for it. Best to try and checkin online the day prior and if you get a boarding pass you're all good. You can also use the self service kiosks at BNE International so don't need to physically speak to anyone to checkin.

Last edited by ozflygirl747; Jun 7, 2019 at 5:00 pm Reason: Edited to replace OOL with BNE
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by ozflygirl747
I guess the proof of the pudding will be if the checkin person in HKG says "travelling to SYD" or "travelling to OOL" - if it's the former, then you know that reservations has cancelled the SYD-OOL flight.

If the SYD-OOL flight is still there the OP can still ask to be checked to SYD - just double checked bags are short tagged to SYD also. Even if the SYD-OOL flight was still active but pax was marked as not travelling I don't believe that would cancel the BNE-HKG sector.
I think that the point is that cancelling the reservation for travel on a specific flight does not mean that the underlying ticketed itinerary has changed. Has the ticket been reissued such that the ticketed journey no longer has a SYD-BNEsector in it

If the sector to BNE is still in the itinerary, he may not be able to fly bne to hkg until either (a) that sector is flown or (b) that the ticket is reissued to not have the sector in it - this would still incur fees

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.