Qantas premium economy 787 vs A380

Old May 23, 19, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Qantas premium economy 787 vs A380

I am looking at booking flights to the US on premium economy and wondered the difference in seats between these aircraft - mainly seat comfort / recline / legroom ? Is there a vast difference?
I have the option to book either aircraft as I am heading to the east coast.
I've only flown business and economy both on the A380 / 747 but never Premium Economy on any aircraft.
Grateful for input. Thank you!
Old May 23, 19, 7:36 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Recline and legroom is the same, but the A380 seats are old and at end of life -- being replaced over the next 2 years. The B787 has newer seats which should be better, also has other advantages (better pressurization, less vibration, better lighting, larger overhead bins). Easy choice to pick the 787 if schedule permits.
Old May 23, 19, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
... The B787 has newer seats which should be better ... Easy choice to pick the 787 if schedule permits.
While the 787 PE seats are new, the pitch is impractical and unless you can bag a bulkhead seat it makes the experience far worse on the 787 than the 380.
levelnine and eminere like this.
Old May 23, 19, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

OK - thank you both. So it sounds like it is a swings or roundabout situation then! I will be applying for a points upgrade (to Business) when booking - would you know if the chance is higher in the A380 being the larger plane?
Old Jun 13, 19, 3:45 am

Programs: QFF, Marriott
Hi LisaJane,
I have flown both the 787 and 380 to/from HK and SIN multiple times in the last few months. The 787 seats are new, lots of storage, great with access to power etc, but......if you are over 5’10” the seats have a lot less leg room, and the seat pitch / recline does not seam as good as the “ Older 380”
I’m 6’4” and I was gutted to hear QF is upgrading all PE to the new 787 seat ☹️
levelnine likes this.
Old Jun 14, 19, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks Jase.
Iíve actually booked on a 787 from Brisbane as the schedule was better for me lining up with the US domestic flights instead of the A380 to DFW.
thankfully Iím only 5í2Ē so will keep my fingers crossed.
Iím in Dubai right now having flown overnight in economy on Emirates A380 and I must say their legroom is far greater than flights Iíve had on QF.
Old Jun 14, 19, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lisa31jane View Post
Thanks Jase.
Iíve actually booked on a 787 from Brisbane as the schedule was better for me lining up with the US domestic flights instead of the A380 to DFW.
thankfully Iím only 5í2Ē so will keep my fingers crossed.
Iím in Dubai right now having flown overnight in economy on Emirates A380 and I must say their legroom is far greater than flights Iíve had on QF.
That would fit in with what Seat Guru says about seat pitch - 32"-34" on EK vs 31"on QF