Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas international network: good or bad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

What do you think about Qantas's international network today, compared to their network in the past?
Old May 9, 2019, 11:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I’ve alerted a moderator to move this to the QF forum.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:26 am

Moved to more appropriate forum.

DanielW
Moderator, Trip Reports
Old May 10, 2019, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Where can I find the QF forum?
Old May 10, 2019, 12:58 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lucas.zhu
Where can I find the QF forum?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, lucas.zhu!

Your post has been moved to the QF forum which can be found under Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs.

NewbieRunner
Senior Moderator
Old May 10, 2019, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Thank you, NewbieRunner! What do you think about the network of destinations Qantas has today compared to the old days?
Old May 10, 2019, 6:30 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Its different. Its a commercial operation that tries to maximise revenue within its constraints of cities, slots, aircraft, rules, alliances and FF programs. New long range aircraft change everything - stopovers are rare instead of essential.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:58 am

How about you let us know what you think is missing from the network? It’s a very vague question.

I use most of it and for my south-eastern based purposess (travel to UK, Asia and US) it does the job well. Partners like AA and BA help too. But for someone centred on Africa I guess not so good for them?
nancypants likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by lucas.zhu
What do you think about the network of destinations Qantas has today compared to the old days?
It's less good for me.

I use those words advisedly, because what's less good for me may be much better for someone else. There is no absolute answer to whether today's network is better or worse than yesteryear's. It depends very much on your personal travel patterns and needs.
trooper and nancypants like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 4:35 pm

Many of the en-route destinations served in the past were the result of range limitations... As for actual long haul destinations? Its a different world...with far more competition. In the years of QF's most widespread network the ME3 didn't even exist.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 4:38 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
An extreme example was the old “Fiesta Route”. SYD-LHR via Tahiti, Acapulco, Mexico City, Nassau, Bermuda. Short sectors and lots of interesting places to stop. Compare that with today’s SYD-PER-LHR with that bum numbing 17 hr sector. Each has advantages and disadvantages (as per #6 above). Perhaps OP could clarify the question so more specific answers can be given.
trooper and nancypants like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 6:34 pm

I just finished reading "The Flying Kangaroo" by James Eames... its NOT a "proper" history of QANTAS...more a collection of stories... Well written and enjoyable (if a bit too "gushing" about QF..lol) It relates some very interesting (and amusing) accounts mainly of the Post WW2 expansion of QEA/QANTAS..(and some earlier stuff) . Amazing how many places QF staff had to be based in those days...
The stories of New Guinea operations are particularly good...
og and nancypants like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
it depends on what your aim is.

NZ is well covered.

regular hoppers to mainstream Asian cities via direct routes. For peripheral Asian cities partner connection is available. North America again covers main hubs. You cant expect QF to fly direct to Atlanta for example.

Europe is weak unless London is all you are after. i think AY or Me3 offers better alternatives to redude stop overs.

Africa or South America aint their main businesd target segment.

it serves my needs. If it doesnt serve yours, find better options.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fakecd

regular hoppers to mainstream Asian cities via direct routes. For peripheral Asian cities partner connection is available. North America again covers main hubs. You cant expect QF to fly direct to Atlanta for example.
Why can't it - it manages to do New York , not sure why other cities cannot be served

Originally Posted by fakecd
Europe is weak unless London is all you are after. i think AY or Me3 offers better alternatives to redude stop overs.

it serves my needs. If it doesnt serve yours, find better options.
No airline covers every location - I agree that if wanting to go to where Qantas goes to its network is good , otherwise there are plenty of other airlines that will hopefully serve. Every airline picks locations to fly to where it reckons it can maximise revenue based on the finite number of aeroplanes available.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Let's start with Task Number One!

Why did Qantas terminate services to Nagoya, Japan?
What aircraft did they use prior to termination?
What was the flight number?
NOTE: QF serviced Komaki Airport NOT Chubu Centrair. NGO came a few years later.

I'll accept any answers regarding these questions!

Sincerely,
lucas.zhu

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.