Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

MEL-SYD-HKG connection on separate tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2019, 5:19 am
Original Poster

For those knowledgeable about flying international from Sydney, I'm planning to travel from Melbourne to Sydney (QF408 - 7am departure) and then Sydney to Hong Kong (QF127 - 10:20am departure) on separate tickets on the same day (Saturday), with 2 checked bags in the form of large boxes (but not over-sized), sometime in June with no status and no knowledge of Sydney airport.
  1. Do I have enough time to make the connection in Sydney (and also do a tax refund)?
  2. Can Qantas pair the separate tickets so that checked baggage can be through checked directly to Hong Kong from Melbourne?
    1. If not, referring back to question 1, is there enough time to pick up from the carousel in domestic and recheck-in at the international side?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 8, 2019, 5:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

According to https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...d-baggage.html , it will check bags through

If flight is delayed and you miss the connection, Qamtas doesn't (iirc) protect you though ; 1 hr 55 minutes should be enough time to make the onward flight

How much do the boxes weigh ? Qantas baggage allowance to HKG is 30kg in economy , not a piece based allowance
Old May 8, 2019, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
According to https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...d-baggage.html , it will check bags through

If flight is delayed and you miss the connection, Qamtas doesn't (iirc) protect you though ; 1 hr 55 minutes should be enough time to make the onward flight

How much do the boxes weigh ? Qantas baggage allowance to HKG is 30kg in economy , not a piece based allowance
Thanks for the heads up as I thought they counted by pieces, boxes shouldn't be over 30kg combined since its mostly clothes but thanks for the reminder to check the total weight.
Old May 10, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
In thoery it's enough time., and Qantas sells connecting flights with less connecting time.

In reality it's fairly streessful. A 30 minute (or more) delay, (not uncommon if there's fog / other weather / congestion in either MEL or SYD) and you're going to be pushing it.

On arrival from MEL you can take the internal bus from the Qantas doemstic concourse straight to the international terminal. But there could be a wait of 10 minutes. The journey itself takes 10 minutes.

Delay plus both of those and you are down to an hour. Queues for tax refund can be lengthy (as in an hour).

Preference, on separate tickets, might be to fly up to SYD thenight before. There's various accommodation options, from as little as $99 a night (ibis).
nancypants likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by MT_Switch
Thanks for the heads up as I thought they counted by pieces, boxes shouldn't be over 30kg combined since its mostly clothes but thanks for the reminder to check the total weight.
remember also that the domestic flight is a piece based allowance, one piece up to 23kg for non elites IIRC (nothing extra for oneworld either)
Old May 10, 2019, 5:59 pm
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
In thoery it's enough time., and Qantas sells connecting flights with less connecting time.

In reality it's fairly streessful. A 30 minute (or more) delay, (not uncommon if there's fog / other weather / congestion in either MEL or SYD) and you're going to be pushing it.
<snip>

I often connect from MEL through SYD to BKK which leaves at approximately the same time. I always get the 0600 flight up from MEL and even then it can be a bit stressful. The plane has been in MEL all night so no incoming worries. But if unserviceable at least there are later flights you can be moved to.

There are currently no priority immigration lines at SYD so even if entitled no go.

Use the app for the TRS refund otherwise don't even bother.
Old May 10, 2019, 6:13 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Hvr
...Use the app for the TRS refund otherwise don't even bother.
A week ago at TRS in SYD there was no separate queue for the TRS App (ie QR code). Just one line for everyone. My QR code could not be read by the readers so I just rattled off my BSB and ac number to the guy behind the counter. He was glad to see I was organised enough to have the valid tax invoice and goods for presentation. The QR problem was very minor.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by nancypants
(nothing extra for oneworld either)
Emerald get an additional bag when the piece system is used (not that that helps the OP).

https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits

***Extra baggage allowance for Emerald frequent flyers
As an Emerald frequent flyer, the following special baggage privileges will apply when you fly on oneworld airlines:
  • On itineraries using the baggage allowance “weight” system - 20 kgs in addition to the ticketed cabin allowance.
  • On itineraries using the “piece system” - one additional bag for free in addition to your ticketed baggage allowance.
Note: This benefit is not available on British Airways' 'Hand Baggage Only/Basic' fares.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by serfty; May 10, 2019 at 10:01 pm
Old May 10, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by serfty
Emerald get an additional bag when the piece system is used (not that that helps the OP).

https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits
whoops thanks missed that bit
Old May 10, 2019, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a lot guys, unfortunately travel the night before isn't possible, and I'll skip the tax refund if the timing becomes tight.
Old May 11, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
It will be tight.
The main point, is the transfer bus from T3 to T1, which is only for all QF dom pax going to T1.
See if you can get your bags tagged all the way in Melbourne, so you don't see it in Sydney.
Chances are its ok, but if they say no, big if, they say no, then you have to go out into the public general area of Sydney domestic airport, and then collect boxes and then carry them to T1 and check in.
There is a 50% chance it can be done, if they say yes, MEL QF checkin that is, then your job is about 5% easier.
You will need to ask a lot at MEL T1 dom checkin, ask them for a boarding pass for all the way, ask them if they can swipe your passport at T1 MEL so you can avoid QF checkin at Sydney int, and just go straight through outgoing security and immigration.
Because you will be doing passport and outgoing security check in Sydney T1 if you were going to check in there, it takes time, it does take a lot of time, if its all linked, as I mentioned, 5% better chance as you can do passport swipe at MEL T1 dom.
Assume MEL dom can get your boxes tagged all the way to HKG, your passport can be swiped in MEL dom, and you can get your Melbourne - Sydney and Sydney - Hong Kong boarding passes, then the transit can be 10/15% easier.
Transit bus from T3 to T1 is a slow process, they wait till the bus fills up, don't believe it when they say its every 15mins, sometimes they wait 30 mins, for the bus to fill up.
With boarding passes and passport securely on you, run up the stairs from the transit bus drop off, at T1, to the entrance to the Sydney T1 outgoing immi to have your passport scanned by Smartgate, and then outgoing security screening.
8.20am is a very bus time in Sydney airport, ideally as the others have said, try to get to Melbourne airport as early as you can, and try to get the 6am flight.
On a linked ticket, its ok, but on a separate booked ticket, even with QF, its racy.
Would I do it?
No, I would not dare.
Also, too many variables for things to go wrong.
No status and flying economy also means also that you do not have express security screening at Melbourne domestic airport, so you would have to be there at 4.30am, and try to get the 6am flight, get through Melbourne domestic security, and get to gate, for the hopefully successful 6am flight.
Best of luck!
I have always flown Adelaide - Sydney - NZ on QF and VA, when VA was tied to AirNZ.
Always a linked booking/s.
Ps, you MUST have your passport swiped, ie, scanned/dipped and slid through the keyboard at QF, or you won't get your boarding pass to succeed, even if you have checked in online and got your home printed boarding passes, your passport still needs to be seen by QF checkin staff, better at Melbourne than Sydney international.

Last edited by AustralianPoochie; May 11, 2019 at 8:37 am
Old May 11, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
IF you haven't booked this, do the QF phone booking, pay the QF phone booking fee, if they say it must be paid.
Better to have a linked PNR all the way, 6am flight out from MEL, and the MEL check in staff will know you have a linked booking so they can print you off your boarding passes without you having to remember to ask.
Sorry for the waffly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.