Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Equipment change 747 to 787

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
I gave up and asked for a refund of my $120. I did not have to wait until after the flight. With 3-3-3 and no 2-seat options, random seats will be good enough.
OK.
At T-80 you may be able to select seats for free. And after T-80 keep looking for better seats
nancypants likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:24 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Reduction in seating capacity from a 744 to a 789 makes the prospect of empty seats more of just a dream. Note that QF loves flying the 789 PER-LHR with load factors in the > 90%. Its great for the airline, oh, but the punters might think otherwise. I wouldn’t dare to risk “random allocated” seats on a long flight that had every chance of being full.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by og
Reduction in seating capacity from a 744 to a 789 makes the prospect of empty seats more of just a dream. Note that QF loves flying the 789 PER-LHR with load factors in the > 90%. Its great for the airline, oh, but the punters might think otherwise. I wouldn’t dare to risk “random allocated” seats on a long flight that had every chance of being full.
all airlines want to make the highest profits from flights - Qantas is not being some evil company in wanting to fill its aeroplanes
nancypants likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:49 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
all airlines want to make the highest profits from flights - Qantas is not being some evil company in wanting to fill its aeroplanes
I fail to see how my posting says that QF is an evil company wanting to fill its planes.
Old May 7, 2019, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by og

I fail to see how my posting says that QF is an evil company wanting to fill its planes.
The suggestion that Qantas wants to fill its planes despite the passengers not wanting it
Old May 9, 2019, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

I am flying on the SFO>SYD. It looks like they automatically move me from upstairs of 747 to the last business row in 787.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by mattack4000
It appears Qantas is dropping the 747 and moving to the 787. With that announcement, I guess I need to plan for new seats. Does anyone know when it will be reflected so I can seat my family together?

Thanks
Kudos to you for wanting to ride on the second* most beautiful passenger aeroplane in history.

I have travelled over 100 times in 747s and even though I get off the 787 after flying TransPac feeling better, less dehydrated and less jet lagged there is nothing like the gentle giant jumbo groaning to get off the runway fully loaded taking off from LAX or SFO headed for SYD.

*second most beautiful aeroplane - you have to ask, really ?
Old May 9, 2019, 5:30 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Aspen
I see the point to which you are referring.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aspen
Kudos to you for wanting to ride on the second* most beautiful passenger aeroplane in history.

I have travelled over 100 times in 747s and even though I get off the 787 after flying TransPac feeling better, less dehydrated and less jet lagged there is nothing like the gentle giant jumbo groaning to get off the runway fully loaded taking off from LAX or SFO headed for SYD.

i have flown on 747 many times, but only in cattle class and a few times in pe. Now I have the ability to fly it upstairs, they change the planes early. Go figures.

Old May 9, 2019, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by mattack4000

i have flown on 747 many times, but only in cattle class and a few times in pe. Now I have the ability to fly it upstairs, they change the planes early. Go figures.

It's not like a bus where the upstairs deck gets a better view you know

There isn't anything better about the upper deck - personally I prefer the lower deck since the floor doesnt vibrate whenever someone walks along it

With the 787, you have gone from the old, due to be retired 747 , to the latest aeroplane that Qantas flies
Old May 9, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: QF WP
My only time on the upper deck of a 747 so far was when JAL used to have an economy cabin up there!
Old May 10, 2019, 10:25 pm

Is it reasonable to expect no change

Originally Posted by nsx
I know they aren't charging more for the 747. I said that I paid more for the 747. I know that they are allowed to change to a 727 island hopper if they want to, but it's reasonable to expect no change.

I bought the fare 11 days ago. That's not refundable. I paid for specific seats yesterday. That's refundable only after the trip if the terms are accurate.

Read what I wrote. You and I agree that QF is not required to do anything more for me than refund my seat fee afterwards.

I believe that QF should do more as good customer service. I'm open to what that might be. Their performance on this will determine my opinion of their suitability for my future trip purchases. It seems you believe that NO airline would do anything for me and that most would refuse to refund the seat fee as well. You may be correct, but I would like to believe otherwise. I hope for better result. I will report here after the flight.
Given Qantas announced the retiring the 747s in 2020 some years back with much fanfare, then booking a 747 flight for 2020 in the first half of 2019 has the very real risk of an equipment change and something that you probably should not be surprised at when it happens given it was flagged in general terms at least. Also it would be probably early on as it it easily replaced with a 787 as there is already the Melbourne 787 flying there. As it happens it will be one of the first routes for the next set of 787s.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.