FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Hong Kong Check In to Maximize Lounge Time (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1967668-hong-kong-check-maximize-lounge-time.html)

FSUSeminole007 Apr 30, 2019 4:37 pm

Hong Kong Check In to Maximize Lounge Time

I'm scheduled to fly this evening on QF118 (10:30p Departure), and after exploring HK all day today, want to head to the airport quite early to lounge hop and shower. I am a OWE.
I tried checking in online and have to go to the counter to pick up my boarding pass. My questions are:

1) If I do In-Town check In on the Airport Express, do I have to actually check a bag (I only have a carry on), or can I use it to just receive a BP to clear security?

2) If I've already done online checkin, can I just approach any qantas desk to get my boarding pass?

3) Are there other methods of checking in i'm not considering?

Thanks in advance for the help!

serfty Apr 30, 2019 7:59 pm

@FSUSeminole007 I am aware of quite a few who have taken this very route :)

1) No

2) That's fine

3) Nup (based on a single segment trip).

number_6 Apr 30, 2019 9:04 pm

I'm not sure of the hours that QF checkin desk is open, have noticed it was closed once when I was flying CX so it definitely isn't all hours. Airport Express check-in is always open independently of airline hours, and as serfty stated no checked baggage is required.

og Apr 30, 2019 9:55 pm

Its a nice marketing advantage - a good reason to transfer through HKG as opposed to other SE Asian airports.

Too much travel May 1, 2019 4:46 am

Not wishing to be pedantic, but Hong Kong is definitely not in Southeast Asia!

The Airport Express check-in is a great plus. It's a pity so few cities/airports have such a facility - just HKG and KUL off the top of my head.

Hvr May 1, 2019 9:27 am

Originally Posted by FSUSeminole007 (Post 31054053)
I'm scheduled to fly this evening on QF118 (10:30p Departure), and after exploring HK all day today, want to head to the airport quite early to lounge hop and shower. I am a OWE.
I tried checking in online and have to go to the counter to pick up my boarding pass. My questions are:

1) If I do In-Town check In on the Airport Express, do I have to actually check a bag (I only have a carry on), or can I use it to just receive a BP to clear security?

2) If I've already done online checkin, can I just approach any qantas desk to get my boarding pass?

If you check in on-line make sure you have a hard copy of your BP. I've tried to go airside with an electronic copy and was refused.

Fortunately, I had saved the BP on my thumb drive and found a place in the check in lines (D?) that could print it, HKD$10. With the hard copy I went straight through and could access many different lounges (WP).

Oh and consider enrolling in the e-Channel service to go through immigration easily at HKG AP https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services...html#australia

henrus May 1, 2019 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Too much travel (Post 31055528)
The Airport Express check-in is a great plus. It's a pity so few cities/airports have such a facility - just HKG and KUL off the top of my head.

TPE, ICN and VIE also have it town check in at the train stations (however airlines participating are limited).

sxc May 3, 2019 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Hvr (Post 31056360)
If you check in on-line make sure you have a hard copy of your BP. I've tried to go airside with an electronic copy and was refused.

Fortunately, I had saved the BP on my thumb drive and found a place in the check in lines (D?) that could print it, HKD$10. With the hard copy I went straight through and could access many different lounges (WP).

Oh and consider enrolling in the e-Channel service to go through immigration easily at HKG AP https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services...html#australia

How long ago was this? It’s not the case anymore.

Hvr May 5, 2019 6:54 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 31064103)

How long ago was this? It’s not the case anymore.

The issue with the BP was in June last year. It would be good if you can use electronic BPs now.

derek2010 May 7, 2019 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by FSUSeminole007 (Post 31054053)

As a OWE, you should opt for CX The Wing First / CX The Pier First lounges to get the most of the OWE status

worldiswide May 7, 2019 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Too much travel (Post 31055528)
Not wishing to be pedantic, but Hong Kong is definitely not in Southeast Asia!

Vienna also has in town check-in

worldiswide May 7, 2019 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by worldiswide (Post 31077970)
Vienna also has in town check-in

sorry didn't read all the posts before replying. Also second the e channel suggestion. We've had it for several years based on hkg entries but our daughter was able to obtain this year with AA gold status. The e channel registration transfers to new passports as well.