Wiki Posts
Search

4-20 QF3 [20 April]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM
4-20 QF3 [20 April]

I’m a newb to flying on Qantas, our original airplane went mechanical for 3 broken lavs, we were given a new plane and new gate (53) but no crew showed up until 8:25, and FA’s still trickling in at 8:30 for a new scheduled 9:00pm departure.

I get that planes go out of service but I don’t understand why are our 3 Pilots and all FA’s are showing up to the new gate and new plane roughly a hour after the original scheduled departure.

Did we get a replacement crew? Are there labor strikes going on I haven’t heard about? As of 8:37 local time, all FA’s are still waiting in front of the doors to jet bridge, but pilots are on board.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:11 am

When did the new plane arrive at the gate?
Cabin most probably have to unprep the galleys, before switching. Like they often they start putting meals on the ovens before take off/during boarding, have unpack the ovens etc before leaving the plane.
Also things like while the plane is powered up, there has to be someone in the cockpit who can shutdown APU, systems, in case of emergency. So pilots can't leave until plane shutdown or handed over to a maintenance person who can do the cockpit stuff
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Our new plane was at the new gate less than 10minutes after I walked from 9 to 53. GA said the long wait was due to additional security that needed to be done to our plane because it was not scheduled to fly to USA.

Appreciate the reply, I did not think of having to un-prep catering issues.

Fwiw- someone “tried” to flush a blanket on original plane.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:51 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by tikchik
...Fwiw- someone “tried” to flush a blanket on original plane.
How odd - and seemingly impossible? I’d have thought that blankets usually disappeared via pax cabin bags. But that’s purely speculation.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Just to follow up in case any of y'all were curious about more details. I spoke with the FA's and our original plane had 3 lavs out of order, including the handicap lav. This meant our plane could not fly to any USA port, per regulations. However, Tokyo does not have the same lavatory regulations, so our plane was swapped with the 744 headed to Tokyo and those passengers were stuck with 3 lavs inoperable. Additional security screening of our plane and swapping the catering caused the delay. Ended up being a great flight.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: Qantas, Virgin
Originally Posted by og

How odd - and seemingly impossible? I’d have thought that blankets usually disappeared via pax cabin bags. But that’s purely speculation.
I suspect someone may have um... "soiled" the blanket and were so embarrassed they were trying to destroy the evidence.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:27 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by tikchik
Just to follow up in case any of y'all were curious about more details. I spoke with the FA's and our original plane had 3 lavs out of order, including the handicap lav. This meant our plane could not fly to any USA port, per regulations. ....
If only that were true, in realisty US regulations permit operating any airplane on any length of flight with any number of inoperative lavatories ... it is entirely up to airline discretion. The regulation that does apply is the Air Carrier Access Act which requires twin-aisle planes made after 2010 to have at least one diabled access toilet installed, and twin-aislo planes made after 1992 to refit a disabled access toilet during D checks. It just has to be installed on the plane, not functional. QF probably considered the flight duration in making decision about it, but US DOT regs had nothing to do with it -- I wish they did.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.