FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   upgrading using points, MELLAX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1966100-upgrading-using-points-mellax.html)

jamienbaker Apr 19, 2019 12:03 pm

upgrading using points, MELLAX

All - apologies, but couldn't find a relevant sticky, and I'm a newbie to the program.

1) Booked MELLAX in J.
2) Opened QF account, transferred in requisite Bonvoy points. Obviously have no status.
3) Requested upgrade J to F, it was ~51,000 points, flight is mid-June and showing F9, with two seats having been allocated (not that maps are relevant).

What I'm looking for is guidance on how upgrades are executed (if at all). I assume QF doesn't clear waitlists to the point of cabin capacity, meaning (in theory) a flight could go out with 2 pax and leave 8 upgrade requests unsatiated?

Also, I'll want access to the F lounge in MEL, so I can always punt my QF # and revert back to AA ConciergeKey or BA Gold...but in doing so I'm assuming I'd no longer be eligible for the upgrade. Is it possible to simply SHOW one's Emerald-equivalent card to enter the lounge, and retain QF FF until boarding in hopes of procuring the upgrade? Or is there a definitive cutoff time at which point I can be 100% certain the upgrade isn't coming through?

And one last one - anything to prevent F and J pax from mingling in the upstaris lounge? I am have a good friend flying in J that I'd like to drink with.

Apologies for newbie questions, my searches were inconclusive.

Best to all - Jamie

serfty Apr 19, 2019 5:49 pm

Upgrades are done by QFF Status level. "Chairman's Lounge"* and/or Platinum One, then Platinum, then Gold then Silver then Bronze.

You can request upgrades be fulfilled right up to boarding time when you request an upgrade.

You can try showing your BA/AA Emerald card at the First entrance and they may permit you entry. They also may insist on putting the Emerald status into the booking. (Qantas have this policy for non oneworld entry, but many lounge agents confuse this and apply it to everyone.) By that time you are likely to have been upgraded or not in any case.

*Sort of Equivalent to Concierge Key.

jamienbaker Apr 19, 2019 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 31018478)
Upgrades are done by QFF Status level. "Chairman's Lounge"* and/or Platinum One, then Platinum, then Gold then Silver then Bronze.

You can request upgrades be fulfilled right up to boarding time when you request an upgrade.

You can try showing your BA/AA Emerald card at the First entrance and they may permit you entry. They also may insist on putting the Emerald status into the booking. (Qantas have this policy for non oneworld entry, but many lounge agents confuse this and apply it to everyone.) By that time you are likely to have been upgraded or not in any case.

*Sort of Equivalent to Concierge Key.

Very helpful. At least it was a small number of points in the event I don’t clear. I’ll keep my fingers crossed and check every few weeks.

Thanks again - Jamie

number_6 Apr 25, 2019 8:27 pm

The upstairs lounge is open to both J and F pax but you may find it a bit disappointing compared to lounges on almost any other airline's planes. It was originally designed as a First Aid area with lounge usage added as an after-thought, though the A380 refurbishment is meant to improve it slightly.

jamienbaker Apr 26, 2019 4:47 am

Originally Posted by number_6 (Post 31037981)
The upstairs lounge is open to both J and F pax but you may find it a bit disappointing compared to lounges on almost any other airline's planes. It was originally designed as a First Aid area with lounge usage added as an after-thought, though the A380 refurbishment is meant to improve it slightly.

interesting history. Yeah, even KE’s forward lounge looks better, at least they have some pictures on the wall. But I need a spot to congregate with buddy in J. He’s going to be pissed if I manage to upgrade. But I just can’t resist.

number_6 Apr 26, 2019 9:56 pm

The QF A380 F suite is designed to allow 2 people to dine together (ottoman is used for the 2nd seat), but they generally won't allow J pax to eat in F. I've used that feature a few times to dine with a companion in F.

jamienbaker Apr 27, 2019 6:01 am

Originally Posted by number_6 (Post 31041517)
The QF A380 F suite is designed to allow 2 people to dine together (ottoman is used for the 2nd seat), but they generally won't allow J pax to eat in F. I've used that feature a few times to dine with a companion in F.

yeah, I would never ask for that. I’ve been ostracized on the CX board for chastising posters that even ask if that’s permissible. If I saw a flight crew permitting that, I’d take it up with management immediately upon landing. I’m a big fan of maintaining cabin integrity.

Still hoping for the upgrade, though. We are about a month out.

Thank all - Jamie

Volvo Mike Apr 27, 2019 9:18 pm

I would have no issue if someone from economy came into the first class cabin to eat with a friend but I think they'd need to choose one of the economy meals. The ottoman is a downgrade from an economy seat so having another F person sitting there would be worse than sharing a meal across the aisle.

Good luck for the upgrade. If it happens, ask the CRM if your business mate could share a meal and see what they say.

Regards,

Michael

og Apr 27, 2019 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Volvo Mike (Post 31044273)
I would have no issue if someone from economy came into the first class cabin to eat with a friend but I think they'd need to choose one of the economy meals. .....

If I was CSM, the only way I’d allow someone from J or Y to eat in the F cabin would be if they were going to row 5 and only visited via the rear of that cabin. Its all about protecting the interests of the F pax,

jamienbaker Apr 28, 2019 8:39 am

Originally Posted by og (Post 31044382)

If I was CSM, the only way I’d allow someone from J or Y to eat in the F cabin would be if they were going to row 5 and only visited via the rear of that cabin. Its all about protecting the interests of the F pax,

Well said. As an F passenger, I wouldn't even ask. That said, I do hope if the upgrade comes through, that perhaps my pal and I can enjoy some of the better F wine selections while seated upstairs in the "lounge".

Volvo Mike Apr 28, 2019 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by og (Post 31044382)

My last F flight from LAX landed in Melbourne Christmas Eve morning. The other passengers were a Qantas captain, his wife and 3 kids aged around 10, 12 and 14, another family of 4 with kids 6 - 8, a gentleman with his 2 year old daughter and nanny and a solo gentleman in his 50's. What are these interests that need protecting? Everyone in that cabin is in there for a reason. If the captain had his kids fly economy and they joined them for a meal wouldn't have caused any issue with me. The rear stairs are roped off and it's all economy both up and downstairs yet J & F can mingle at the front. I really don't see an issue.

Regards,

Michael

og Apr 28, 2019 7:04 pm

The people in F that pay cold hard cash IMO expect a level of privacy and not to have visitors marching back and forth. Much like trying to reserve the front toilets for J pax in smaller aircraft and consequential minimisation of passing traffic.

Volvo Mike Apr 28, 2019 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by og (Post 31046949)
The people in F that pay cold hard cash IMO expect a level of privacy

Apart from the captain, who did and didn't pay for their seat? If the 2 year old that had her seat paid for by her dad screamed for half of the journey, is that better or worse than someone from economy sharing a meal up the front that you may or may not even know of? An economy pax asking to sit for a meal in F is a bit different to being asked the other way round.

Regards,

Michael