Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Seat Selection Not Available & Customer Service Runaround

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska, Delta, United

I booked a trans-Pacific flight via WestJet that it operated by Qantas. I called Qantas to receive the Qantas reservation code so I could manage my booking and select seats. When I got to my booking, seat selection was unavailable. Calls to Qantas customer service had the same result. Repeated email exchanges with Qantas customer service have been largely unfruitful. Qantas even claimed repeatedly that it was WestJet's responsibility to release their block of seats before I could make my seat selection, which makes no sense to me, and is contradicted by conversations with WestJet. Then, Qantas offered to try to add seats of my choice to the booking. My seat selection did appear in manage my booking for about a week, then disappeared. The latest explanation about the lack of seat selection for this flight is "there is a fault in advanced seat selection on flights with a WS flight number, operated by Qantas," and that it is a known issue without a timetable for a fix.

Is there anything to Qantas' claims regarding their inability to allow me to select my seats?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

goblinfootballs Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by goblinfootballs
I booked a trans-Pacific flight via WestJet that it operated by Qantas. I called Qantas to receive the Qantas reservation code so I could manage my booking and select seats. When I got to my booking, seat selection was unavailable. Calls to Qantas customer service had the same result. Repeated email exchanges with Qantas customer service have been largely unfruitful. Qantas even claimed repeatedly that it was WestJet's responsibility to release their block of seats before I could make my seat selection, which makes no sense to me, and is contradicted by conversations with WestJet. Then, Qantas offered to try to add seats of my choice to the booking. My seat selection did appear in manage my booking for about a week, then disappeared. The latest explanation about the lack of seat selection for this flight is "there is a fault in advanced seat selection on flights with a WS flight number, operated by Qantas," and that it is a known issue without a timetable for a fix.

Is there anything to Qantas' claims regarding their inability to allow me to select my seats?
What does "via WestJet" mean?
Does your reservation have a Westjet or QF flight number?
When is the flight? Class of travel?

Look here--->Blocked Seats on upcoming QF Flight
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
goblinfootballs Welcome to FT

What does "via WestJet" mean?
When is the flight? Class of travel?
I booked the flight with WestJet, but it's operated by Qantas. WestJet & Qantas have a codeshare arrangement. So there's a WestJet flight number and a Qantas flight number. I'm able to do everything to manage the booking online through Qantas except select seats. Were I to book directly through Qantas, I'd be able to select seats online. For the week in which I had seats selected, those seats were unavailable to anyone who tried to book online through Qantas.

It's an economy ticket for December. The blocked seats issue is not the same as mine.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QF codeshare with many airlines
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
QF codeshare with many airlines
WestJet
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: QF WP
Were I to book directly through Qantas, I'd be able to select seats online. For the week in which I had seats selected, those seats were unavailable to anyone who tried to book online through Qantas.
Maybe seat selection isn’t open at all? Or not to non-elites?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:09 pm

If you booked vai WestJet and have WestJet flight numbers and ticket numbers. WestJet is responsible for the booking, QF only take control of the ticket when the flight goes to airport control, hence QF saying it is WestJet's responsibility at the moment.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:00 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
It could be similar to the QF code on LA metal (a few years ago) for AKL-SCL. LA had a block of seats in both cabins that were for their exclusive allocation. QF also had a different block of seats that were their’s to allocate.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og
It could be similar to the QF code on LA metal (a few years ago) for AKL-SCL. LA had a block of seats in both cabins that were for their exclusive allocation. QF also had a different block of seats that were their’s to allocate.
I mentioned this to WestJet and they said that wasn't the case.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nancypants

Maybe seat selection isn’t open at all? Or not to non-elites?
It's possible in the process of purchasing a ticket directly through Qantas, elite status or not. Although one customer service agent told me over the phone that in that case it would tell me seat selection wasn't actually available were I to submit payment.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og
It seems absurd that an airline can't assign seats on its own flight. I've booked codeshares before and have never had trouble accessing the booking on the actual carrier's site and selecting seats.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
It seems absurd that an airline can't assign seats on its own flight. I've booked codeshares before and have never had trouble accessing the booking on the actual carrier's site and selecting seats.
Different codeshare agreements can have different arrangements for these. If the contract says that rows 19 and 20 (to take a hypothetical answer) are solely for the use of the marketing airline, then the operating airline can't use them. Nothing absurd about that.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
I can confirm that WS*QF bookings do not permit seat selection. WS has not fully implemented the seating function.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:43 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Codeshares often have glitches in some aspect compared to the operating airline, they can only be worse rather than better Hopefully the OP got some benefits from booking the WS code (such as FF earn) and not just more profit for WS. I try to avoid booking codeshares as it has never seemed advantageous to me, only to the airline. For this seat situation all you can do is wait until QF has control which is the day of flight.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:43 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
This is entirely possible. The QF/OZ codeshare between SYD and ICN is an example. Literally each airline had half of the plane (not sure if they still have). So if for whatever reason you were booked on the QF code and QF seat selection was unavailable you were not able to book seats via OZ because OZ had given the right half of the plane over to QF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.