Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF Schedule Change Making a Valid Itinerary Illegal

QF Schedule Change Making a Valid Itinerary Illegal

Old Apr 18, 19, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

skimthetrees -I don't know if I feel comfortable (nor should I have to) playing the standby game last minute and since the new invalid flights are not even updated properly on the ticket and it's a Sunday night in LAX I just don't see that going too far. And they will not check-in me for a flight that's non-existant either (QF796 which is discontinued on Tuesdays). I also feel as holding a confirmed revenue ticket booked in November of the previous year, I should be squared away ahead of time especially with just under a month to spare.

I will try the oneworld option and I'm definitely going to file a DOT complaint at this point. What is the equivalent in Australia? I am planning on filing on both ends and have discovered the following and wondering if anyone has used this/had any experience:

Home
https://www.aviationcomplaints.gov.a...stomer-service

Dave Noble - Upon checking, it looks like there is space the day after I arrive in MEL, however with only 2 nights planned in AYQ and tours, we can only arrive on the day scheduled, but I'm willing to be flexible and go a day prior. It is also an added expense for an overnight in MEL. I do find this different over a weather delay or even a controllable maintenance delay, because at that point both instances (albeit one uncontrollable and the other controllable) are last minute and the airline can do very little schedule wise to a city like AYQ. However, a schedule change well in advance is something that can be fixed and shouldn't set me up for failure a month before the trip.

QF also told me and said they can terminate me in MEL and I'm welcome to buy cash tickets onward from MEL-AYQ which is a non-starter. Again, I don't believe I should be financially responsible for a involuntary decision that QF made. QF's obligation is to transport me from LAX-AYQ.
Old Apr 18, 19, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw View Post
What is the equivalent in Australia? I am planning on filing on both ends and have discovered the following and wondering if anyone has used this/had any experience:
<snip>
Again, I don't believe I should be financially responsible for a involuntary decision that QF made. QF's obligation is to transport me from LAX-AYQ.
Oneworld will not get you anywhere. They are a marketing organisation. And little/no way to contact
Link--> Airline Customer Advocate They do respond relativity quickly
But the ticket is by AA. For AA to resolve
<snip>
Agreed, especially since there are options. The fact that this is an award ticket should make no difference.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 18, 19 at 3:22 pm
Old Apr 18, 19, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA, AS
kinglobjaw - it is not standby. You have a ticket. Once you get to the airport to check-in Qantas can take control of the ticket and open up space so long as there are seats available on the flight. You could go to the airport 24 hours in advance to check-in.

Another suggestion: get AA to conference call with QF. Gary of VFTW did this to get an infant ticket issued.

The Strange Way to Ticket Infant Travel on Qantas When Redeeming American Miles (How I Saved $1800 Traveling With My Daughter)

I rang up Qantas and was told American had to do it. I rang up Qantas again and was again told that American had to do it.

I finally got American Airlines back, confirming that they could not and the correct procedure was for Qantas to do it. Since I couldn’t find an agent at Qantas willing to do it (frustratingly calls to Qantas meant about 20 minute hold times each time) I needed to get creative. That meant conferencing American Airlines in with Qantas. Together they figured out that yes — Qantas needed to do it — and it was possible.

This meant finding a Qantas agent willing to talk to a supervisor, and finding a supervisor familiar with the process.
Old Apr 18, 19, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

An update! All good here - just received a call from a very kind QF employee in Australia. She understood my situation and helped confirm me on my flights the day before in the same class of service as previously ticketed. AA is now processing the ticket re-issue now that everything is in there correctly. Should be all set within 24 hours. Happy Ending! I was advised the confusion was regarding the MCT. Every time AA requested the new legs citing MCT, they were rejected because the belief was that D/I MCT @ MEL was 70 mins when it is in fact 90 minutes.

Thank you all for the advice, input and for hearing me out. It was very much appreciated for someone who does not frequent the QF forums generally. I'm very excited to fly QF!
Old Apr 18, 19, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw View Post
... Every time AA requested the new legs citing MCT, they were rejected because the belief was that D/I MCT @ MEL was 70 mins when it is in fact 90 minutes. ...
Well done, I hope your trip is as good as you are anticipating.

70 Minutes?! Nothing in the MCT coming from the GDS used by ExpertFlyer is 70 minutes. See post 5 - There is 75 minutes for some specific flights.

Anyway, all good that ends good.
Old Apr 20, 19, 12:35 pm

Please double check the e-tickets are correct with both AA and QF. Get the QF locator and check with them or log in to manage my bookings on their website and make sure it matches everything that AA has too.
Old Apr 20, 19, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
That is fortunate - I have been thinking on this hard through the various posts. I would have been very wary of turning up with an invalid routing. The problem with these alliances is that they really are not friendly at all.