Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

747 J Seat Selection (nose cone vs. upper deck)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum

I am flying SFO-SYD on QF 74 in J with a companion. Trying to decide between 1A/B (nose cone) and 11 A/B (first row upper deck). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
Some personal preference, but I always like the upper deck, for the "private cabin" feeling, with only the upper deck PAX and two Flight Attendants just for that cabin. The nose tapers, and has a closet in the front in front of row 1. It was nice as the F cabin, but not so much for me with the J seats there.
metallo and littlegreenman like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:37 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I’m not a fan of a bulkhead or wall right infront of me. Row 2 or 12 in the 744 works nicely (for me). UD seats bounce when heavy footed crew walk past. LD gets a better window view (slightly forward and better ground perspective). Front of UD won’t be early off the aircraft whereas there’s a better chance on the LD if door 1 is used. More chance to store large carry on bags in LD overhead lockers.
metallo likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning toward row 1 vs. row 11 (rows 2 and 12 aren't available), but I'm relatively tall (about 6'2''), so I do worry about feeling cramped due to the curvature/tapering of the pointy end. I found a trip report that suggests it's not actually that cramped-feeling, though, and that even the aisle seats (1B and 1J) don't seem that close together. I think we'll stick with 1A/B for now, which I had to call Qantas to request (even as OW Emerald)... took two agents, a supervisor, and about 90 minutes of my time to make it happen.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
I've done both...
  • If you've never done the upper level, do that in row 11 or 14. Much more quiet I think than lower deck.
  • However, on my upcoming trip to SCL we've booked row 1 which is kinda need to be in front of the pilots when flying (and the angled views) ... but selected it because 11 wasn't available.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
For me, the 'nose' is preferable. Upper deck has low ceilings and bounce in the floor. Plus, it's pretty much the same as flying a 737 transpac. You can always walk up the stairs if you haven't done it before.
og and CPMaverick like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: QANTAS, Oneworld
DFW-SYD Upper Deck Failure

The last time I flew in the Upper Deck on a 747 was between DFW and SYD. The IFE was down, at-seat power was down, and the personal reading light was also down for the whole cabin. QANTAS sort of made-good on the shortfall, but It was simply a terrible J experience!

So my advice is don’t fly in the Upper Deck.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
A 747 between DFW and SYD was how many years ago (ie pre-refurb to Skybed II?)
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The 744 flew DFW-BNE-SYD in both 3 class (current) and 4 class (older) configurations.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by serfty
The 744 flew DFW-BNE-SYD in both 3 class (current) and 4 class (older) configurations.
... which we know is taken over by the 388 non-stop (as of 2014). Every 744 cabin has undergone a refresh. Some bigger than others (tail OEB having the least).
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by RealityBites
The last time I flew in the Upper Deck on a 747 was between DFW and SYD. The IFE was down, at-seat power was down, and the personal reading light was also down for the whole cabin. QANTAS sort of made-good on the shortfall, but It was simply a terrible J experience!

So my advice is don’t fly in the Upper Deck.
The last time I flew a 747 in United F, I sat in 1A. The Betamax tape player jammed and so I couldn't watch the IFE. So I recommend the upper deck.
nancypants, og, shuuy and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
on QF their 747 seat 1 does NoT have angled view like other airlines. there is large closet at fron so your seat 1A barely has angled pilot view... also leg room was limited...

i would say row 2 is way roomier than row 1. but you disembark later than others.

i like the openness of main cabin vs the upper deck
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:25 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by fakecd
on QF their 747 seat 1 does NoT have angled view like other airlines. there is large closet at fron so your seat 1A barely has angled pilot view... also leg room was limited...

i would say row 2 is way roomier than row 1. but you disembark later than others.

i like the openness of main cabin vs the upper deck
Yes. Minimal overhead storage for row 1. Crew accessing the forward cupboard/ closet are annoying if trying to rest in row 1. In spite of the closet stealing the best angled views, all LD windows have a better ground view than UD windows.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
On my very short flight, I loved the upper deck.
BNE - SYD in J!
Short flight for me, and no comparison, of course to the long flight you will take, but I would do the bubble again upstairs.
Have flown the EK 380 as well, both J and F upstairs, also short stints, to various cities (Au - NZ before EK pulled out of Au - AKL direct flights).
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
On my very short flight, I loved the upper deck.
BNE - SYD in J!
Short flight for me, and no comparison, of course to the long flight you will take, but I would do the bubble again upstairs.
Have flown the EK 380 as well, both J and F upstairs, also short stints, to various cities (Au - NZ before EK pulled out of Au - AKL direct flights).
A one hour flight is pretty useless as a comparison to overnight Tpac. The UD on a 747 bounces a lot when crew walk past, and given the Skybed is uncomfortable to begin with the bounce hardly makes for a pleasant flight. There's no comparison between the UD on an A380 and on the 747. They're totally different beasts.
eminere likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.