Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Checking a bag only for the second flight of an itinerary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, *G, HH Gold, Amtrak Select Plus, Hertz President's Circle

I'll be flying from Windhoek, Namibia (WDH) to JNB on SAA then connecting 5 hours later to JNB-SYD-HNL on QF. I'm traveling quite light and within carry on limits, so to save having to go through immigration and customs in South Africa and be able to stay in the transit area I wasn't planning to check a bag. However, I have a fairly long layover in SYD and plan to leave the airport and have a beer with a friend there. Once I'm in SYD can I go to a check in desk and check my back for only the second leg of the QF journey (SYD-HNL) or is this something that QF just won't do?

As a bonus question, am I likely to be able to do online check in for JNB-SYD-HNL on QF? It's a little unclear to me what check in/baggage facilities exist for QF air side in JNB, and if they'll be open when I arrive for my connection. Hence ideally I'd like to online check in and carry on, but I know online check in isn't always available on all carriers for international flights.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You will have to wait for the checkin to open for the HNL flight - which iirc is 3 hours prior to departure

If you are wanting to leave the airport and leave bags, then you would be best checking the bag in in JNB and it will stay checked through until Honolulu

Checking in in Sydney , would be interesting to see whether the airline picks up on the additional taxes that are due, but not likely charged ; if you have a same day connection and stay airside there are taxes that are not charged, but are due if you clear immigration
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:46 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Checking a bag for only a portion of a trip is not a problem. I did this yesterday (with a different airline). But just as Dave mentioned QF will not accept your bag in Sydney up until before the flight so you might have to pay for baggage storage. And then this defeats the purpose of your exercise. Epic trip you are doing btw.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:58 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
If you can use F checkin at SYD then historically QF has exercised considerable flexibility in allowing early bag drop ... perhaps they keep it set aside and then submit it for you when the time window opens. . The OP does not look to be able to use this facility, but if still provided it would be useful for others to know. As for the original question no problem with QF to add a bag for a connection sector (I've sometimes added shopping as checked baggage during a transit).
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You will have to wait for the checkin to open for the HNL flight - which iirc is 3 hours prior to departure
Actually, I believe SYD is the one port in Australia, where all day check in is offered for QF international flights (By contrast MEL applies the 3 hours rule). It is referenced on AFF:

Sydney all day check-in
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
I have not checked your nationality, or what passport you hold, if not an Aust or NZ citizen, you will need a transit visa for Aust.
Aust does not do visa on arrival to anyone except NZ citizens.
I have not done the other odyssey, so can't say anymore to add.
Best of luck.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
From experience the all day check in policy in SYD only applies if you are not going to the US. They do not accept bags more than 3 hours out for US flights due to TSA regulations.

And second the Aus transit visa requirement mentioned above. You need an aussie visa if you are not AU/NZ citizen and want to clear immigration. Certain nationalities need this transit visa even without clearing immigration (US and SA nationals don’t need this). Check https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...t-without-visa

Last edited by hansyuwiwb; Apr 14, 2019 at 4:07 am
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
From experience the all day check in policy in SYD only applies if you are not going to the US. They do not accept bags more than 3 hours out for US flights due to TSA regulations.
Do you have details of this TSA regulation? I have had ~8 hour layovers in Sydney, with checked bags, before heading to the US. Not a problem.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bigjono

Do you have details of this TSA regulation? I have had ~8 hour layovers in Sydney, with checked bags, before heading to the US. Not a problem.
Unless thing s have changed, there are separate check in desks for passengers travelling to the USA vs travelling elsewhere. I don't think that there is an issue with bags being checked through
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, *G, HH Gold, Amtrak Select Plus, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks, everyone! It's good to know this is a readily do-able in a general sense.

Great point on possibly not being able to check in more than 3 hours in advance though! I'll see what I can do to check it through from JNB and if I can't I'll try in SYD (and worse case I'll live if I have to lug my bag around a bit). And thanks for mentioning the visa concern too - I'm a US citizen but fortunately have an ETA visa that is still valid as I was in Australia for a wedding earlier this year.

And yes, it is a bit of an epic trip and I may well not want to get on a plane ever again once I'm done with all the flying! I live in Honolulu, and the trip will consist of a few days in NYC for business and then two weeks in South Africa and Namibia for holiday, and I decided to go through SYD on the way back to make it around-the-world and the flight timing are actually a bit nicer as well.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: Qf Platinum
We checked in at 13.00 when we went to HNL in March for a 19.25 departure.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
The other option is left luggage at SYD, its about $12-14 AUD for several hours.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb

And second the Aus transit visa requirement mentioned above. You need an aussie visa if you are not AU/NZ citizen and want to clear immigration. Certain nationalities need this transit visa even without clearing immigration (US and SA nationals don’t need this). Check https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...t-without-visa
Revising this - it seems to be okay as long as the USA check in/bag drop counter is staffed. I think they close it for a few hours in between QF7 and QF73. Last December I attempted this at around 2 pm and it was not successful. But if can find someone to do it it should be okay.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Just to follow up I was able to check my bag in SYD for the second leg of the my flight (SYD-HNL) about 4 hours before the flight without an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.