SC confusion on MH fares ex-AKL

Old Apr 7, 19, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT/QF Gold
SC confusion on MH fares ex-AKL

I'm hoping someone on FT has slightly more idea about the fickle earning on MH fares on QFF

I'm possibly looking at a MH AKL-KUL-LHR fare in business and trying to figure out my SC earn.
The calculator tells me that AKL-KUL in a Z class ticket (discount business) is 140 SC

HOWEVER, on the partner earn points table, Z fares (and JCD for that matter) are counted as flexible economy between New Zealand and Malaysia (When you look specifically for MH)

So which is it? the footnotes on the table ? or the calculator?
Old Apr 7, 19, 4:37 am

Programs: QF
The airline earning table is the correct one, ie your business class flights will earn status credits at flexible economy rates.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 7, 19, 4:42 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
It will credit as Flexible Economy.
Old Apr 7, 19, 10:39 am

Programs: NZ
I received 140 SC in April last year for an AKL/KUL flight, ie as per the calculator.

Of course things could have changed since.
Old Apr 7, 19, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by NZJuniorDoc View Post

So which is it? the footnotes on the table ? or the calculator?
As indicated, it's the calculator that is incorrect.

https://www.qantas.com/fflyer/dyn/fl...ine-earning#mh

When Qantas jilted MH at the "JSA" alter in favour of EK, they really wanted to dissuade QFFers from flying MH on routes they deemed competing.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 7, 19, 3:18 pm

Given that I got 140 SC in April 2018 (per the calculator), does anyone have a more recent datapoint based on an actual flight flown to confirm that they earned at the Flexible Economy earning rate (70 SC)?
Old Apr 7, 19, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT/QF Gold
Originally Posted by minz56 View Post
Given that I got 140 SC in April 2018 (per the calculator), does anyone have a more recent datapoint based on an actual flight flown to confirm that they earned at the Flexible Economy earning rate (70 SC)?
and this is why I'm somewhat confused since the calculator and table show different things!
Old Apr 7, 19, 6:58 pm

Programs: QF gold-> platinum
I don’t know that there’s any easy way to get a definitive answer short of booking and flying. And even then there may be quirks in how it’s credited

interestingly digging further into th calculator and earning tables I have discovered the following:
-MH flights from KUL-LHR are actively capped at the flexible economy rate in the calculator (60SC)
YET
-the earning tables list business and first class rates on partner airlines from Malaysia to Western Europe (120SC business, 180SC first)

-the only direct listing from/to NZ is Santiago, for other flights it refers you to the table based on distance

I tend to take my MH flights via Bali these days as their intra-Asia earnings are both reasonably assured and also excellent. Would I still take the MH AKL-KUL? Maybe if I needed to go between the 2. But I wouldn’t rely on it as earning me the status credits for requalification say. It’s just too easy for QFF to defend giving you the reduced rate here
Old Apr 7, 19, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants View Post
interestingly digging further into th calculator and earning tables I have discovered the following:
-MH flights from KUL-LHR are actively capped at the flexible economy rate in the calculator (60SC)
YET
-the earning tables list business and first class rates on partner airlines from Malaysia to Western Europe (120SC business, 180SC first)
The screenshot of the earning rates for MH posted above indicate that flights between Malaysia and the UK on MH earn at the Flexible Economy rate. I definitely only got 60 SC on my KUL/LHR flight last year.

Yes, I know, it is all very confusing!
Old Apr 7, 19, 7:50 pm

Programs: QF gold-> platinum
Originally Posted by minz56 View Post
The screenshot of the earning rates for MH posted above indicate that flights between Malaysia and the UK on MH earn at the Flexible Economy rate. I definitely only got 60 SC on my KUL/LHR flight last year.

Yes, I know, it is all very confusing!
Basically itís a big mess and I wish qantas would stop disincentivising partner travel like this, especially when itís on routes that there is no decent alternative to (AKL-KUL is a prime example, as the qantas website tries to book AKL-(Australia)-SIN-KUL, final leg on 3K- why would anyone ever do that route and not the direct flight?? But Doha is also a pig for lack of alternatives, even more so since the blockade. And also CMB)

why canít they be like normal airlines and have the same SC but an incredibly poor points earning rate on partner flights?

(yes I know this is never going to happen)

itís junk like this that makes me sympathise with Al Baker
eminere and NZbutterfly like this.

Search this Thread