Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYD to PER B2b [back to back]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by webstereo
It seems I cannot use the seamless transfer according to Malaysian Airlines as although it's Qantas metal, it's an MH ticket.
So I have conflicting information.
In the event I cannot, and given the first arrival is Sydney is an 8 hour or so transit, what's the best approach to get to the domestic terminal?
Rubbish IMHO. 100's to 1000's of people who come in other airlines use the seamless transfer. You have a QF flight to PER, so that all it needs. I assume it a QF code, but even if MH code would expect it to be OK. MH will not know what is common practise at SYD I to D to I with QF

Anyway there is is a free (landside) bus between the terminals. See SYD thread link above.

Do not over think this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 29, 2019 at 9:24 pm
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Ok thanks, as long as it's simple enough - that's all I'm concerned about. I have no idea what my brain state will be like at that time.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok thanks, as long as it's simple enough - that's all I'm concerned about. I have no idea what my brain state will be like at that time.
How much time between your flights?
MH141 MH123?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
@Mwenenzi is correct.

See the link to the Qantas Web Site in my post no. 9 of the thread.

Last edited by serfty; Apr 29, 2019 at 10:37 pm
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
MH141 MH123?
8 hrs
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MH141 MH123?
8 hrs
If during that day are better things to do than spending 8 hours at the airport, even if you have lounge access.
So take the train into Circular Quay for a coffee or what ever.
og likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Rubbish IMHO. 100's to 1000's of people who come in other airlines use the seamless transfer. You have a QF flight to PER, so that all it needs.
Mwenenzi is correct, you should have no trouble accessing the Shuttle bus between International (T1) and Domestic (T3) in Sydney - and vice-versa, here is the relevant Qantas Website Page.

In Perth, as you're flying SYD-PER-SYD, you will be able to remain airside. If the returning PER-SYD is not the same aircraft as that which operated SYD-PER, you'll just walk from your arrival gate to the departure gate; no need to re-clear security.

Regards,

BD
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BD1959
Mwenenzi is correct, you should have no trouble accessing the Shuttle bus between International (T1) and Domestic (T3) in Sydney - and vice-versa, here is the relevant Qantas Website Page.

In Perth, as you're flying SYD-PER-SYD, you will be able to remain airside. If the returning PER-SYD is not the same aircraft as that which operated SYD-PER, you'll just walk from your arrival gate to the departure gate; no need to re-clear security.

Regards,

BD
Good to know, thanks
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

If during that day are better things to do than spending 8 hours at the airport, even if you have lounge access.
So take the train into Circular Quay for a coffee or what ever.
Totally agree. It's overnight though.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm!
Due to the curfew SYD shuts down from 23:00 to 05:00/06:00
What do you plan do for the 08:00 hr?
Some land side may be open (or may not), but do not expect much activity
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:32 pm

In that case, ignore the previous posts about using seemless transfer. Qantas won't hold any checked baggage overnight; you'll need to retrieve your bags upon arrival and check-in at T3 in the morning ... or keep the checked bags with you landside in International (T1) overnight and then use the seemless transfer in the morning (assuming your BP is issued in KL).

Regards,

BD
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In that case, ignore the previous posts about using seemless transfer.
Full disclosure at the start does get more reliable answers
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Full disclosure at the start does get more reliable answers
Well it's very difficult to know what information is relevant. I had no idea a terminal transfer would be required - or at least that it would be more difficult than say what it is when you arrive at LHR. I won't have checked luggage. I had forgotten about the curfew. I assumed I could transfer to the domestic terminal and simply wait there for the flight - as daft and uncomfortable as that may be that was my plan. So if I can do so I will transfer to the domestic terminal and collect my boarding pass - if I haven't been able to get it online, and then go to a hotel near that terminal. I think I can walk to one.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:09 am

Well it's very difficult to know what information is relevant. I had no idea a terminal transfer would be required - or at least that it would be more difficult than say what it is when you arrive at LHR. I won't have checked luggage. I had forgotten about the curfew. I assumed I could transfer to the domestic terminal and simply wait there for the flight - as daft and uncomfortable as that may be that was my plan. So if I can do so I will transfer to the domestic terminal and collect my boarding pass - if I haven't been able to get it online, and then go to a hotel near that terminal. I think I can walk to one.
You'll need a Boarding Pass to transfer to the Domestic Terminal - the BP is scanned as you exit the Bus Lounge. I'm not sure whether the scan would accept a BP for the following day (have never done this myself). Personally, I've used a mobile BP to use the shuttle from T1 to T3 when I've not arrived off an International Flight - just when I've had a Domestic Flight ... I'm just wondering if you were to use a hotel next to International (since this is the most convenient at Sydney) whether you'd be able to check-in using mobile off an International and non-QF flight ... hopefully someone else here can advise.

However, I'm now concerned about the B2B nature that you're suggesting at Perth. Normally, QF will not check you in for a Domestic Leg of an International journey (checked luggage irrelevant) unless they've sighted your travel documentation. This would mean that if you are planning straight PER-SYD-KUL then you would need to get to a service desk after arriving and obtain your BP for PER-SYD rather than already having it.

Regards,

BD
Old May 1, 2019, 7:16 am
Original Poster

You'll need a Boarding Pass to transfer to the Domestic Terminal - the BP is scanned as you exit the Bus Lounge. I'm not sure whether the scan would accept a BP for the following day (have never done this myself). Personally, I've used a mobile BP to use the shuttle from T1 to T3 when I've not arrived off an International Flight - just when I've had a Domestic Flight ... I'm just wondering if you were to use a hotel next to International (since this is the most convenient at Sydney) whether you'd be able to check-in using mobile off an International and non-QF flight ... hopefully someone else here can advise.

However, I'm now concerned about the B2B nature that you're suggesting at Perth. Normally, QF will not check you in for a Domestic Leg of an International journey (checked luggage irrelevant) unless they've sighted your travel documentation. This would mean that if you are planning straight PER-SYD-KUL then you would need to get to a service desk after arriving and obtain your BP for PER-SYD rather than already having it.

Regards,

BD
as I selected a flight that wasn't quite back to back to allow for that contingency. Off the top of my head I think I have around 3 hours in PER
Shouldn't be a problem

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.